Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Verona Nightshade
"

Kaoru's time as Taiki is coming to an end...

"

Eri didn’t officially start going to school until the first year of high school. However, in the year or so of getting used to having a fully healthy body, Eri met some of Makoto’s other friends and acquaintances. The most prevalent of them being Rin Ueda. 

Their first meeting happened right after Eri’s surprise race at the school festival, and after she’d been thoroughly scolded by the teachers.

It also happened to be Taiki’s first meeting with the young redhead. “Makoto never brings any of his friends home,” Taiki said, grinning too widely to be anything but mischievous. “Please, stop by one day. My son is very shy, isn’t he?”

“I thought that was your dad,” Ueda said, pointing at Takuya after Taiki had wandered away to congratulate Eri on completing the race.

Makoto was very red as he cringed at Taiki. “Yeah…” he said. “But so’s he, I guess.”

Ueda’s jaw dropped. “Your dad’s gay!?”

Makoto groaned. “One is, but the other one likes men and women. Geez… you don’t have to make a big deal about it…” 

Though Makoto didn’t notice, as he often didn’t notice anything going on around him, Ueda’s cheeks steadily turned the same shade as his hair as he looked down at his hands, mouthing the words That’s okay…?

Much to Makoto’s embarrassment, but Taiki’s great delight, Ueda did come over after school not long after. And then it became a regular occurrence to have the three young teenagers in the house, making it lively and loud. It wasn’t bad to come home to, for either Taiki or Takuya.

By the time the group was ready to enter high school, Makoto’s crush on Eri had well and truly disappeared. It was do in no little part to Taiki’s constant interference, but mostly to Eri’s own insistence that Makoto called her Auntie. Ueda had been confused by her love of the title at first, but he’d easily been roped into calling her Auntie as well.

Taiki finished packing the trio’s bentos for the day while Eri stood impatiently by his side, glaring into the dark hallway, red blazer crisp on her form. He thought back to his own high school days with his friends, and the trouble they’d gotten into.

“Mako-chan, hurry it up!” Eri shouted, hands going to her hips. Taiki held out a bento for her to take. “We’re going to be late!” She took the bento, giving him a charming smile.

Makoto entered the kitchen, trying to hide a yawn. “Mornin’ to you too, Auntie,” he mumbled, taking the bento Taiki offered him. “Th’nks, Dad…” He yawned again. “Not everyone’s a morning person…”

Eri slapped a hand on the counter. “You gotta live as much as you can while you’ve got the chance, and being energetic in the morning is the best way to do it!” she declared.

Taiki chuckled, putting his hands on her shoulders and gently turning her towards the exit. “I think you’re just finally able to release all the energy you didn’t have as a kid,” he teased. Eri stuck her tongue out at him, but easily tugged Makoto along after her. 

Taiki patted Patch’s head as he watched them go, before going further into the house to get ready for work. Now that Eri didn’t need the constant watch over her, he decided to put his medical degree to use and got a job at a local clinic as a pediatrician. 

Megumi and Akimitsu had gotten married just a year and a half after their engagement. It had been in the tumultuous time that had been Eri’s early treatment, but he’d managed to make it to their wedding. In the time since, they’d had three children. Their eldest, the twins Ren and Kanon, and their youngest, Junko. Taiki hadn’t ever thought that Megumi being a mother would be a good idea, but she did so wonderfully. Akimitsu was a natural, if not awkward, dad. Both of their companies were still thriving, too. It was mostly still due to his parents on Akimitsu’d part, since he hadn’t done much but learn since he’d joined them. Megumi, however, was still out causing trouble. When she’d made to leave the company she’d interned at for her family’s, they tried taking back the store she managed. Of course, the store front itself belonged to the company, but Megumi had carefully made sure she maintained the rights to her designs and brand. Without her in management of the store and unable to sell her designs, it had gone bankrupt within a couple of years and Megumi had bought it out once again. It now had branches all over Japan, and the last time Megumi and Akimitsu had been over to visit, they’d talked about how she was going to expand overseas.

The first time Taiki had seen Hachirou after returning home, he hadn’t recognized him. They’d had plans to meet up with Yuzuki together, and Taiki had spotted Yuzuki sitting at a table with a beautiful woman, but it had taken a solid minute of studying the woman to recognize that she was actually Hachirou. He’d gotten involved with more queer groups on his overseas studies, and had discovered multiple things about himself. The most obvious being that he liked to wear feminine clothing and occasionally liked being treated like a woman and didn’t mind feminine pronouns, but also liked being a man. He wasn’t quite sure about his preference for relationships yet, but had instead just said “Probably anyone.” with a simple, please smile. He even got a girlfriend, a nice young woman who enjoyed sharing beauty and fashion with him. They seemed happy together at least.

Yuzuki never married. It wasn’t in her future plan, she told Taiki, which was singularly focused on becoming her father’s successor. Where she’d once been shy and demure, she now used that old reputation to rise faster than anyone had thought possible, harshly but honestly taking control of the company. She was, however, the only one unsurprised to find out Taiki was dating Takuya when the news first came out. She did discuss with him about the artificial insemination, so she’d be guaranteed a successor, but that had only been a recent move, and she was still currently looking through the extensive list of donors and talking with lawyers to ensure that her child was exclusively hers and the donor couldn’t come back for them in the future.

“That never happened in the original, did it?” Taiki once said to Patch. 

In the original, when Makoto and Suzume went to question Taiki’s friends about him, they’d all been in separate places. Hachirou had been an unhappy businessman, Akimitsu had been mean and cold, and Megumi, while flourishing, hadn’t shown any signs of being in love. The less said about the original Yuzuki the better.

Patch rumbled proudly at Taiki’s statement. “When Master came, he changed many things,” it said. “The one before wouldn’t have made anyone happy or encouraged them to be happy.”

And, well, it made Taiki’s heart warm to know that he’d done that. Eri had been his main focus, and for a time his only focus, but it was true he’d grown to care for everyone in this world. 

Like in the original novel, Makoto and Ueda ended up joining the literature club alongside Suzume Kato and Airi Nishiyama, two other first years, and their third-year club leader, Kenshin Kawakami. A literature club… that hated literature. Taiki could only sympathize with Kawakami, the only one passionate about the club and having to deal with the other four’s shenanigans.

Eri joined the track team, enjoying the thrill of the race now that there was nothing that could stop her. She was one of the fastest on the team, her energy boundless.

Taiki almost worried when Makoto asked Eri to help him woo Suzume, but had to force himself to reign in his laughter when it was Eri Suzume started showing interest in. 

Makoto did not find Taiki’s reaction to the news amusing. Takuya did, but he was usually amused by the things Taiki did.

And it was like that those final three years passed in a flash of friends, family, relationships, tournaments, festivals, and living… and it was time for Eri to graduate. Taiki sat between Takuya and Mother with Patch at his feet as they watched Eri and Makoto walk across the stage and receive their diplomas. 

Mother snuffled and wiped at her eyes. “My baby’s finally all grown up,” she said, smiling peacefully. “I never thought I’d see the day…” She took Taiki’s hand and squeezed it. “It’s all because of you. You worked tirelessly to make sure she’d see today. Even before she was born, it was like you knew.”

Taiki chuckled, unable to meet her gaze. “Yeah… I suppose. I always knew I wanted to protect her.”

“And protect her you did,” Father said with a firm nod. He was smiling too. “You’ve done well and made me proud. You’ve made us both proud with how far you’ve come.”

The official ceremony ended, and the recent graduates began dispersing to look for their families. Mother and Father disappeared into the crowd before Taiki could stop them. 

Takuya took Taiki’s hand. “Better hold onto this so you don’t get swept away.”

Taiki raised an eyebrow. “If you wanted to hold my hand, you could’ve said so. I’d never say no.”

Takuya chuckled, and they wandered until they found Makoto. Under the shade in a secluded corner stood both Makoto and Ueda. Ueda held something small out to Makoto. Makoto hesitated, before taking it. Ueda jumped on Makoto, making both stumble.

They quickly broke apart when Taiki and Takuya neared. Ueda blushed and smiled at Makoto. “Well, I’ll, uh, see you later,” he said, scratching the back of his neck. “I should go find my parents!” He bowed to Takuya and Taiki before running off into the crowd.

Taiki caught sight of a shiny gold button before it was slipped into Makoto’s pocket, and he couldn’t help but roll his eyes fondly. That had certainly not happened in the original.

He stayed back as Takuya walked forward and hugged Makoto tightly. “Congratulations, son,” he said. Makoto teared up, hugging him back.

His next words were lost to Taiki when Patch knocked its head against Taiki’s hand to get his attention. Taiki looked down, and Patch gave him an almost sad look.

“It’s almost time to go,” Patch told him, looking back to Takuya and Taiki. “You should say your goodbyes if you want to.”

Taiki hesitated. “I… Huh. It’s time already?” Patch rumbled agreement. Taiki nodded slowly. “I… Things continue, right?”

“Correct,” Patch affirmed. “Even when you leave Taiki Kuroda’s body, Taiki Kuroda will continue to exist in the way you’ve made him. He will not revert to the self that was before.”

Kaoru sighed in relief, even though his chest still felt tight. He was going to miss the people he’d met and lived with and loved for the last eighteen years, but it was good to know that they’d be okay after he left. They wouldn’t even know he was gone.

With that in mind, Kaoru surged forward, wrapping his arms around Makoto, cutting Makoto’s words off. Kaoru held tightly, almost not wanting to let go.

“You’ve been a brat since the day I met you,” Kaoru said. “There were better things I could have been doing with my youth�" but I’m glad I spent it getting to know you.” Makoto didn’t hesitate anymore, hugging Kaoru back just as tightly.

“I’m sorry for being a stupid kid,” he said into Kaoru’s shoulder. “I’m sorry for giving you so much trouble. You’ve been there the whole time and I- I-”

“I know,” Kaoru whispered, petting his hair. “It’s okay. I’m… so proud of how far you’ve come.”

Makoto pulled away then with a jerk, wiping at his eyes and forcing a smile. “Geez, this is getting way to sentimental. Suzume wanted one last picture of the club before we all left, so I’m going to go find them. Don’t wait for me!”

Kaoru almost wanted to prevent him from leaving, but knew he couldn’t. He needed to let the brat go. Instead, he turned to Takuya and kissed him, holding onto Takuya desperately.

“Are you crying?” Takuya whispered when they pulled apart. 

“No,” Kaoru said as Takuya wiped away his tears. Kaoru smiled. “I’m just thinking… you raised a good kid.”

“You helped,” Takuya said. “Might say you did more than me sometimes. And look how much you did for Eri. I think you’re the winning parent.”

Kaoru chuckled, pressing his palm into his eye. “I’m… I’m really glad I met you,” he said. “That I fell in love with you. That you fell in love with me too. I’m just… so happy.” He kissed Takuya one more time before quickly pulling away. “Go after him. I’m going to find Eri.”

Takuya laughed. “Right. I’ll see you at home, Taiki.”

He turned, following after Makoto into the crowd. But he stopped suddenly, looking backwards with an easy grin. 

“So, this probably isn’t the ideal place to say this,” he said with an awkward chuckle, “but it feels right. What do you say we get married?”

Kaoru felt his breath lodge in his throat, tears coming with a renewed vigor. “This is the worst time to say that,” he chastised. Right when he was leaving? Really?

Takuya laughed against. “Is that a no?”

“No! That’s a yes, you b*****d. You better make this lame proposal worth it!” Kaoru yelled. Takuya turned away again, shoulder shaking with laughter as he faded into the crowd.

“Five minutes left, Master,” Patch said.

Before Kaoru could respond, he heard “Nii-chan!”

Eri burst out of the crowd, diploma in hand. She launched herself at Kaoru, making him spin her around like he had when she was a small child. 

“I thought you’d be gone already,” she said. “I’m glad you’re still here!” Kaoru was glad too. She hugged him again before daintily stepping away. She folded her hands behind her back, smiling brightly. “I love you, nii-chan. You saved me, all the time when I was little, when I fell out of our tree, and you healed my heart.” She touched the space just over it, her smile becoming just a little more subdued. “But besides that, you always loved me, you always took care of me. You were the reason I was able to race, and win. So…” Her bright smile came back as she tilted her head. “Thank you, nii-chan!”

Kaoru couldn’t stop the tears, just coming down freely. Eri came over and wiped them away. “You have grown up into a beautiful young woman,” Kaoru told her, putting his own hands on her face. “And exceptional, talented young woman, who I know will go on to do great things.”

Eri giggled, pressing her forehead against Kaoru’s. “Right! It’s the end of one story, but the beginning of another,” she said. She pulled away, slipping out of Kaoru’s hand. “I’m going to say goodbye to my teammates before we go home. Bye, nii-chan!”

Eri-chan ran off towards the crowds, silver hair bouncing behind her. Kaoru kept his eye on her until she eventually melted out of sight.

Suddenly, everything felt very quiet and distorted. 

“One minute remaining,” Patch said. Kaoru chuckled and knelt on the ground in front of Patch.

He put a hand on Patch’s head. “I know I don’t have to say goodbye to you,” he said, “but I still wanted to thank you.” He reached into the pocket of his coat and pulled out a small charm in the shape of a white chrysanthemum. “I don’t know if you’ll be able to keep it when we leave this world, but I wanted you to know how grateful I am for your help all this time.”

Patch barked and wagged its tail. “Of course, Master! I am always here for you!”

Kaoru chuckled and fixed the charm to Patch’s orange collar. Patch puffed out its chest to show it off. 

And just like that, just as Kaoru stood, the world entirely melted away into black.



© 2022 Verona Nightshade


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on June 24, 2022
Last Updated on June 24, 2022


Author

Verona Nightshade
Verona Nightshade

About
She/He/They/Ve I write a lot (prooooolly wouldn't be here if I didn't) though I find it hard to finish things, largely due to rising anxiety that what I write is never good enough and having no one t.. more..

Writing