Once Bitten, Twice As Stupid

Once Bitten, Twice As Stupid

A Story by Victoria Kaer
"

Stephen Morrow, star of the football team wasn't the brightest guy. So, what happens when he gets attacked by a Zombie horde? Well, he becomes the world's dumbest Zombie ... of course.

"

Steve glanced over his shoulder, a small shiver of fear slipped down his spine as he did. Even he, despite not being a mental giant, knew being out after dark was a bad idea. He quickened his steps through the darkness.

What in the hell had he been thinking? A sly smirk settled on his lips. He knew exactly what he had been thinking and every thought had centered on Melissa Jenkins. He swore into the darkness that surrounded him. Yeah, he was an idiot, but no more so than the rest of the guys at school. Who in their right mind ignored a summons from Melissa Jenkins? Head cheerleader and resident sexpot of Kranden High. A snort exploded into the darkness, no guy who wanted to see a girl naked. So, when Melissa had called, like a fool, he had gone running over to her house. And now he was heading home after dark, through mist-shrouded streets about to piss himself with fright.

            “Great, some football star you are,” he muttered to himself. Still looking around, checking the darkness around him for the threat he knew was out there, lurking, waiting to pounce on him.

            Things in town were bad, not horribly-frighteningly-horror-movie-you-are-gonna-die-now bad, but it was getting there�"fast. Sending another nervous look over his shoulder and tightening his hold on the Louisville Slugger in his right hand, he shivered and quickened his pace. Again, he wasn’t the brightest of the bright in the brains department but he really should have told Melissa to forget the booty call.

            “Damn, this was a really crappy idea.” His fingers flexed around the bat as he glanced around the mist-shrouded darkness. He could almost feel them as they closed in on his location. “Forget macho, I’m friggin’ outta here.” With a muttered curse, he took off running down the street.

            He could out run them, couldn’t he? He stumbled when he glanced back over his shoulder, rounded a corner and skidded to a frightened halt. “Crap, d****t, oh s**t.” Slowly, he backed away, counting as quickly as his slow mental process could handle. Uh, twenty of them, maybe more, he thought with a surge of panic. He wasn’t exactly sure, nor did he care, he knew he was dead meat, no matter how many of them there were.

            “Hey, guys, I’m sure we can, umm, like come to some sort of an agreement, right? I mean seriously, I’m like so not what you’re looking for. I’m just a stupid jock, football. You know?” Still backing away slowly as he tried to reason with the pack in front of them, he knew it was a lost cause. Yeah, this was Melissa’s fault, he was gonna die because she had offered him something no teenage guy could resist�"sex. God he really was stupid. Dead, because he wanted to get laid. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

            His eyes flicked over the Zombie horde that advanced slowly toward him. They groaned, moaned, and made other assorted sounds. Their rotting flesh stank, the sounds they made sent chills over his flesh, and they were hungry from the looks of them.

When the front few made it within grabbing distance of him, he began swinging his bat. It connected with a sort of sickening thunk and squish. He would be overwhelmed in just a few minutes, he knew this, but he wasn’t going down without one hell of a fight! He smashed the head off of the closest Zombie and the sucker tipped over, hit the ground and lay there, giving one final twitch before lying still. The rest swarmed over him, even as he kept up the attempt at swinging the bat.

When the bite came, he felt an excruciating pain spread through his body and he knew�"knew�"he was now infected. He would be one of them�"if they didn’t eat him first. He’d rather they finished him off, ate what little brains he did have. He so did not want to be a Zombie.

            With a pained groan, he laid on the ground, the Zombies over him, biting, groaning, and making a Zombie Happy Meal out of him, when suddenly a light flickered over the scene. The collective horde gave a groaning scream and fled before it. Leaving him lying on the ground in a broken, half-eaten, heap.  

            “Aww crap they got one, Sherriff. D****t all, it’s Stephen Morrow. His daddy ain’t gonna like this.” Steve stared up at Deputy Bacon, his mind numb, blank, devoid of thought.

            “Load him up Del, we’ll take him to the station, put him in a cell. We’ve got a bit before the poison spreads through him, we call Mr. Morrow and let him say goodbye.” Steve felt himself being lifted off the ground and placed into the back of the sheriff’s cruiser. 

            An undetermined amount of time later, his father was bending over him, staring down into his blank, unseeing eyes. His mind locked behind the poison of the Zombie virus coursing through his veins. “Damn, what was he doing out after dark? He knows better!” Mr. Morrow stood back, shaking his head. “Any clue what he was doing out there, Sheriff?”

            “Not a single one, he had a bat so I’m guessing he knew he was gonna be out after dark. You’re gonna need to be checking with his friends, find out if they knew where he was. Sorry about this Dick, but you know he’s been bitten it’s only a matter of time before he’s gone. I need to get him outta here before then.” The sheriff stated the facts, knowing beating around the bush would accomplish nothing.

            Mr. Morrow ran a distracted hand through his normally very tidy hair. “Yes, I know that! Damn it all, what was he doing out there? I know my boy ain’t the brightest in the world, but he knows! He knows not to go out after dark, not since those things showed up in town!”

            Silently the sheriff agreed with Mr. Morrow’s assessment of his son’s intelligence, the boy kept his grades high enough to stay on the football team, but beyond that, the kid was of borderline intelligence. S**t, he was gonna be the dumbest Zombie in the group, and that wasn’t saying much.

            “I am sorry Mr. Morrow, we patrol but we can’t be everywhere at once. If the government won’t acknowledge our problem and help, well, we gotta find a way to beat them on our own. And so far we haven’t done that.”

            Looking back at his boy once more Dick Morrow nodded slowly. Stephen was gone, lost to those shuffling, voiceless, groaning b******s. He spun around and left the cell, leaving his son behind for the sheriff to deal with. He would kill every last one of those freaky things, to release Stephen and let him rest in peace. It was time for some action. 

            The sheriff sighed, with the help of his deputy they left Steve Morrow on the side of the road, the others would finish him off, or he would wake and become one of them. With one last look at the former football star, he got back into his cruiser and they pulled away.

 

            Steve woke hungry. Hungry for�"flesh. His minimal brain capacity was perfectly suited to that of a Zombie; they had little brain function anyway. That one thought, to feed, was enough for him at the moment. He opened his mouth to form the words necessary in order to voice his need. His pre-Zombie low IQ combined with the effects of the Zombie virus had meshed to destroy what little intelligence Stephen Morrow had left and the words that flowed out were comical at the very least. He made a frightening Zombie vision�"yes�"as long as he didn’t speak.

            “Grains! Must … have … grains!” He stumbled off down the street in search of his evening meal. His mind searching hungrily for brains and for flesh to eat.

            While his voice screamed something entirely different into the dark night.

© 2014 Victoria Kaer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! great story. I feel like something is sucking my blood; luckily, it wasn't your story. *grin*

Posted 10 Years Ago


Victoria Kaer

10 Years Ago

lol! Glad you enjoyed it!
My friend what a great story teller you're! God I was reading and same time in flashback was watching a movie. Simply brilliant work...congrats

Posted 10 Years Ago


Victoria Kaer

10 Years Ago

Thanks much!
A. Amos

10 Years Ago

You're most welcome my dear
I don't care for zombie stories, but this one was interesting enough to keep me reading, and I was glad I did. Great finish.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Victoria Kaer

10 Years Ago

Thanks, I'm also not a giant Zombie fan, which is why this had sort of a humorous twist to it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
3 Reviews
Added on February 24, 2014
Last Updated on February 24, 2014

Author

Victoria Kaer
Victoria Kaer

Las Vegas, NV



About
Always looking for constructive criticism on my writing if you read, please leave a comment. I'd appreciate anything helpful. (Things like, "It needs editing" don't help. Please tell me what you saw t.. more..

Writing