Love, At Last.

Love, At Last.

A Story by VintagePixie
"

A story of when I finally meet my dream man.

"

                Where are you Matt? I thought to myself as I wandered up the darkening street. A gust of wind tore at my face, the shock of it sending chills through to my bones. But I didn’t care. I sighed deeply as I watched a black Sunfire drive by, imagining the face of my one true love sitting behind the wheel.

Since highschool I had searched for the perfect man; but every time I found him, he was taken or gay... or just not interested. After about 6 years of this torment, I had given up. I was tired of being hurt, so I turned to my fictional world. The men in my world couldn’t hurt me. The men in my world loved having me around. The men in my world loved me for who I was. But still, none of them were the perfect man. Even in my own world, the perfect man didn’t exist.

The cold wind cut through me once again and I was knocked out of my thoughts. I sighed deeply again as I glanced at a house. I paused briefly, watching the scene inside with despair. A young couple snuggled happily on a couch in front of a big screen TV, a sleeping child placed on their laps. I looked down at the ground then continued up the deserted road, past houses of happy families. A silent tear made its way down my cheek as I closed my eyes against the sharp wind. Winter was definitely coming on fast. Soon, Christmas would be upon us.

                Great, I thought. Another Christmas alone.

Since moving out of my mother’s house two years ago, I had spent Christmas morning alone. This one wouldn’t be any different.

A loud honk brought me out of my thoughts once again. I looked up to see a black Ford Mustang stop fast and a young brown haired man step out. I stared at him, unable to blink or even move. It was him. The man I’d always dreamed of. Everything was exactly how I imagined. Light brown hair, shaggy and spiked. Soft, puppy brown eyes that sparkled despite no sun. A lean, but chunky figure, perfect for hugging and cuddling against. I gulped slightly as I watched him make his way quickly over to me.

                “Holy s**t, are you alright?!” he asked fast. I couldn’t hear his voice as I stared deep into his eyes. Only when he lifted a hand and snapped his fingers in front of my face did I realize he was speaking.

                “I said are you okay?” he asked in a monotone, almost annoyed sounding voice. I quickly nodded and looked down fast. If I didn’t, I’d surely get lost in those eyes again.

                “I’m fine” I answered as fast as possible. “I... I have to go...”

                “Do you need a ride anywhere?” he asked, grabbing my arm and turning me. “You look kinda... lost...”

                “N-no... I live just up the hill...” I lied fast, looking at him quickly then down fast.

                “Alright...”

I looked up to watch him head back to his car. He was so perfect. I didn’t know if anything could be more perfect. He opened the door of the car then stopped and looked at me.

                “Be careful, okay?” he half smiled then got into his car and drove past as I moved out of the middle of the road. I watched the car disappear then sighed as I smiled to myself and headed down the road. I couldn’t believe it. I found him. After all these years of searching, I found him. I already knew his name, I didn’t have to ask. The wind cut hard against me again, but now I didn’t care. I met him. He knows I exist. Nothing could kill my mood now. My heart fluttered against my ribs and my lungs felt like they were pulsating. Everything was just so exciting now.

 

                For the next couple of nights I walked home with my eyes constantly on the road. I hadn’t seen that mustang since. I kept silently hoping and praying I’d see him again. I wanted to. I needed to. He was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen and I wanted to experience that again.

Finally, by the fourth day of not seeing him, I gave up hope. It was a passing thing. Like normal. He recognized I existed but that was all. I was probably nothing more than some crazy girl who can’t watch where she’s going. I blinked back a few tears and gulped hard as I crossed the street right where I had met him that first time. I closed my eyes briefly as I crossed the street, but was brought out of my thoughts by my cell phone ringing. I stepped up onto the curb and answered it quickly.

                “Are you going to the hockey game tonight or not?!”  Came my father’s voice through the phone. I took a deep breath, trying not to make it obvious I was upset.

                “Y-yea... I am. 7, right?”

                “I’ll call before I leave. Bye”

                “Okay” I said to the dial tone before closing my phone and heading for home.

 

That night at the hockey game, I sat staring at the rink blankly. He was still on my mind. He wouldn’t leave. It was like he was permanently imprinted on my brain, ironed on by love and desire.

                “I’m going to get food before the game begins. Want anything?!” My little brother exclaimed, standing and looking down at my. I looked up and simply shook my head then looked back at the ice, watching the players skate off to their locker rooms. I looked over and watched my dad briefly as he struck up a conversation about nothing with a friend of his. I sighed deeply and looked down at the ice once again. Why the hell wouldn’t he leave me alone? The thought of him just wouldn’t cease, like he was meant to be in my mind. But why? I was brought out of my thoughts by someone standing next to me.

                “Can I sit here or is it reserved?” a familiar voice said. I looked up and my heart leaped into my throat. He chuckled, seeming to see my shock and sheer joy.

                “Can I sit here?” he repeated, pointing to the empty seat next to me. I looked at the seat, unable to comprehend what he was asking. It was him. I couldn’t believe it. And he wanted to sit next to me. I looked up at him once again then nodded.

                “S-sure...” I answered quietly, a hint of a smile playing at the corner of my lips as I stared at him in surprise and joy. He sat down and glanced at me then smirked.

                “You’re the girl I almost hit on Monday...” he stated. I nodded slowly, still staring at him in shock.

                “Y-yea... I am.” I chuckled nervously and looked at the ice fast.

                “You okay? I mean you’ve got the same lost look as you did then...”

                “I’m fine” I responded fast. “Just a little tired from work.”

I couldn’t let him know I was lost every time I looked into his soft brown eyes. I couldn’t let him know he was the cause for my sudden extreme confusion.

                “Where do you work?” he asked, taking a sip from his coke.

                “I babysit for a friend” I answered quietly. He smiled and nodded, looking around briefly.

Great, good going you fool. You’ve gone and bored him. He’s gonna regret sitting here... smarten up you idiot!! I hissed to myself in my mind. I slid down in my seat, somehow thinking that’d erase what I’d just said.

                “Do... do you work?”

He looked down at me and smirked, raising an eyebrow. I looked away briefly, unable to watch him as he did that look at me. After a second I looked back at him and took a deep breath, sitting up straight again.

                “Yea I do. I’m a mechanic” he smiled. I stared hard at him, holding my breath as I did. He looked exactly like my dream man. He acted and sounded exactly like my dream man. He even had the same job. I was beginning to think this meeting wasn’t a coincidence, that him nearly hitting me on Monday hadn’t been an accident. Maybe this was meant to be. Apparently I had been daydreaming too long when I saw him reach a hand over and run a finger down my cheek.

                “Are you sure you’re okay? You’re crying...” he said, his smirk replaced with a worried expression. I looked away fast and ran the back of my hand across my eyes fast.

                “I’m fine. I’ve... I’ve just been having a pretty s****y couple of weeks...”

                “Oh yea?” he asked, a genuinely interested look on his face. I stared at him briefly then looked down.

                “Yea...  lost a good friend and I’ve just been overwhelmed by... everything.”

I strangely found it easy to open up to him. To gush out my feelings and emotions. To tell him everything about me.

                “Ouch. That sucks a*s.” He muttered before sitting up a little straighter as the teams came out onto the rink. “You a hockey fan?” he asked. I nodded then looked down, suddenly realizing I had forgotten to wear my team’s jersey. I frowned at myself then leaned forward slightly, looking at him.

                “You?”

He nodded, leaning forward also.

                “I play for a small team. We’re not really famous, not many people come to our games. Really, we’re only just getting started.” He answered; a half smirked gracing his face once again. “I’m a goalie.”

My heart stopped again as I choked on the water I had just sipped. Goalie? This couldn’t be happening. My dream man’s favourite pastime was playing goalie on his hockey team with his friends. And drumming. I looked at him again then decided to ask a music question, just to see.

                “I’m also way into music” I said randomly, blushing lightly. Way to go, dork. I thought to myself, watching the amused look cross his face as he looked at me.

                “You are huh?” he smirked widely, leaning back. “You should come hang out with me and a few guys from my team then. We kinda formed a small band...”

Oh d****t. This was getting weird. I was beginning to believe my dream man, my own fictional character had become real.

                “What... what do you play?” I asked nervously, already knowing the answer.

                “Drums” he answered before frowning and holding his hand out. “I’m so fucken stupid. My name’s Matt. Matt Radcliffe.”

That’s it. I died. I had to have died. This was my biggest dream come true. One of my characters... real. I still couldn’t believe it.

                “Nice to meet you” I squeaked out, my voice an octave higher than it should be. “I’m Kathy...”

                “Nice...” he smiled a slightly goofy grin then got distracted by the hockey. The game went by faster than I would have liked. Soon, the final buzzer sounded and the game was over. My team had won, but I wasn’t paying attention to the game. I turned in my seat to look at Matt and smiled sweetly.

                “It was really great meeting you and talking to you” I said politely. Matt nodded, smirking widely.

                “You too.” He stood and looked down at me. “Maybe I’ll see you tomorrow.” He winked before stepping up onto the stairs to leave. He looked back at me once more. “Night” he smiled, then was gone. I watched him leave then turned and grinned to myself. I couldn’t believe how great the night was. I couldn’t believe how comfortable I had been talking to him. It was as if I had known him forever. It was more than I’d ever hoped for. I was soon brought out of my thoughts by my brother waving his hand in front of my face.

                “You okay Kat?” he asked, watching me as I stood up. I looked at him and for what seemed like the first time in a long time, smiled widely. A genuinely happy smile.

                “I’m perfectly fine!” I answered before turning and heading out of the arena.

 

                The next week, I started home from work with the excitement from last Friday still fresh in my mind. I never thought perfect people existed. I had always been taught that no one was perfect, that everyone had flaws. Well, if he had any flaws, they were very well hidden. Everything was just... perfect right now.

Presently, I heard a honk from behind me. I stopped and turned and nearly died. There he was, stopping his car right beside me and getting out. I took a deep breath to compose myself and looked at him as he walked over.

                “Hey” he said, smiling widely.

                “Hi” I answered quietly. I could hear how shaky and nervous my voice was... hopefully he couldn’t.

                “I was hoping I’d run into you again...”

I blinked in slight surprise. A guy? Hoping to meet up with ME again?

                “You... you were?”

                “Yea... I wanted to know if you wanted to... maybe... go out sometime?”

I stared hard at him, unable to understand what he’d just asked me. I’d never gone on a date in my life. Not a real one anyways. I’d gone on daddy/daughter dates... but never a real one. I realized I had been lost in my thoughts too long when I blinked and noticed his hand waving in my face.

                “Hello? You there?” he asked, chuckling. I nodded fast, regained my composure and took a deep breath.

                “Y-yea... sorry...” I answered. He smirked then sighed gently, his eyes locked on me. I tried desperately not to make eye contact with him, knowing I’d lose myself in his eyes.

                “So?” he asked quietly. “Do you want to... go out with me sometime? To a movie or... or a walk or something?”

I looked at him, losing myself instantly in his eyes.

                “Like... like a... d-date?” I stuttered quietly. He nodded, a tiny light pink blush crossing his cheeks. I smirked softly, feeling my own cheeks burning up.

                “Yea, a date”

                “I... I would love to! When?”

He shrugged and looked around casually.

                “Tonight?” he asked, his eyes reconnecting with mine.

                “Sure! I wasn’t planning on doing anything... just sitting online alone...” I sighed gently. He chuckled then turned to go back to his car.

                “Come on, I’ll give you a ride to your place, you can drop your things off and we’ll go out for supper... my treat!”

I stared hard at him, not really understanding or believing him. This was more than I’d ever dreamed. This was amazing. This was unbelievable. Not only did he want to give me a ride home, he wanted to take me out for supper.

                Be calm... be cool... don’t blow it!!  I thought to myself before walking over to the car and getting in the same time as he did.

                “Sure, that’d be great! Thanks!!” I answered as calmly as I could. He smiled that soft sweet smile that melted my heart, his eyes sparkling as he did. I gulped and took a deep breath, trying to compose myself.

                “You okay?” he asked after a minute, glancing at me quickly then back at the road as he started up the street.

                “Y-yea... I am. Why?”

                “You got that same dopey, lost look that you had last week...” he paused as he stopped as a stop sign. “No offense” he smirked in my direction then continued on.

                “I’m... I’m just... a little... baffled.”

                “Baffled? Why?” he responded, turning onto my street. I took a deep breath. There was no denying it. I was in love. I looked at him right as he returned the glanced and I immediately got lost in his eyes.

                “Because I’m huge and ugly and so not attractive in any way or form!” I blurted out, my low self-esteem taking control. He stopped at a stop sign and turned slightly, staring at me hard.

                “Sure, you’re no supermodel but you know... those girls aren’t natural. They aren’t the average type of girl. Don’t lower yourself like that, you’re pretty in your own way!” he stated quickly. I stared at him then looked away fast, tears welling into my eyes. I could feel his eyes on me, staring hard with a slightly worried, confused expression. I couldn’t bring myself to look at him, afraid he’d see my tears.

                “Are you okay? I didn’t offend you, did I?”

                “No, you didn’t.” I responded quietly, glancing at him after wiping my eyes.

                “What’s wrong?” he asked, noticing the tears in my eyes. I shook my head, looking away and wiping my eyes again. I could feel his stare on me again. Soon, I felt a hand gently come to rest on mine on my knee. I gulped hard and blushed as I looked down at his hand on mine.

                “What’s wrong?” he asked again. I could hear the concern in his voice.

                Should I tell him? Should I really tell him why I had been moved to tears so easily by his sweet words?

                “Umm...” was all I could say before stopping for lack of anything to say. “I...”

                “Why are you crying?” he asked softly, reaching up and wiping a tear from my cheek gently with his thumb. I blushed even harder then took a deep breath.

                Here it goes...

                “I... this is gonna sound dumb but... I... I...” I took another deep breath, feeling like I couldn’t breathe properly.

                “You what?” he asked, his hand now clasping mine. I looked down then smiled softly.

                “I’ve been dreaming about this morning for... well... for a long time. I don’t want to sound like a creeper but... I... since last Monday when you almost hit me... you’ve been on my mind... a lot.”

                There... now he can go on thinking I’m the biggest dork in the world and...

My thoughts were interrupted by him chuckling.

                “To be totally honest, I’ve been thinking about you too. I don’t know... there’s just something about you that’s attractive.”

I stared at him, blushing mad colours of red. He chuckled nervously and took hold of the steering wheel again, continuing on to my place. He followed me up to my lonely apartment, following me right in and standing by the door.

                “Nice place” he said as I returned from the bathroom. I glanced at him then smiled softly.

                “Want a tour?”

                “Sure.”

I lead him around the apartment, showing him all the rooms.

                “Lemme guess,” he started as we reached the last room and he opened the door. “Your room?” he smirked, stepping into my bedroom. I blushed lightly, standing in the doorway and watching him wander around the slightly messy room. A moment later, he sat down on the bed and looked at me, smiling.

                “Come here...” he patted the bed beside him. I gulped, blushing as I moved over and sat beside him. My whole body shook out of nervousness. I couldn’t figure out why I was so nervous to sit next to him... I had sat next to many guys with no problem on my bed before. But this one was different. He was different. This whole situation was different. I had never felt like this before about a guy. This was more than a crush. This, I truly believe, was love.

                “You look nervous” he stated, his soft, strong low voice cutting into my thoughts. I looked at him fast, inhaling deeply.

                “Do you blame me?!” I asked softly. “I’ve never been this close to a guy I really...” I took a deep breath, feeling like I was choking once again.

                “A guy you really like?”he asked, a playful smirk on his lips. I watched him then nodded, looking down quickly, shyly. I still couldn’t believe this was happening. I closed my eyes as I felt a hand take hold of mine gently. I took a deep breath, keeping my eyes closed.

                “Open your eyes... look at me...” he said quietly, a hand moving to my cheek. I froze briefly then opened my eyes and looked at him. He was leaned close, his face inches from my own. I leaned back and stared at him.

                “What... what are you doing?” I stuttered as he leaned closer once again.

                “I wanna try something...”

                “Try what?” I whispered, shivering as he gently moved his hand to the back of my neck and leaned forward completely, pressing his lips gently to mine. My heart started racing as I could feel the blood pulsating through my veins. My cheeks turned bright red and my body began to shake more. I could smell him. He smelled like he had just gotten out of the shower. I closed my eyes tightly as I returned the kiss awkwardly. A second later, I pulled away as he did and looked at him. He smirked slightly, keeping his warm hand on my neck.

                “And I half expected you to be horrible!” he stated before chuckling and standing. “Now how about supper? I’m kinda hungry!”

I giggled a nervous giggle and nodded, standing and leading the way out.

 

                After supper we went to a local park. I stepped out of the car and waited for him to lock it. I glanced around, noticing all the couples holding hands. I remembered all the times when I would come here with my gamily and pass by those couples and always feel depressed and lonely. I smiled as Matt grabbed my hand and we headed for the path around the lake. I looked at him then looked around, smiling proudly. I was finally one of those couples. We were about halfway around before I realized how close he had gotten to me. I smiled sweetly at him then looked at the lake and sighed happily, continuing on.

                “Hey Kat... can I ask you something?” he asked when we stopped to relax in the grass be the water. I looked at him and nodded.

                “Sure, you can ask me anything” I answered. He moved so he was sitting right beside me, leaning against me slightly.

                “Kat...” he paused, taking my hand and playing with a ring briefly before locking his fingers with mine. “Do you wanna... maybe... try to... to...” he stopped and frowned at himself. “Why the hell do I feel so nervous? I’ve done this before...” he took a deep breath and exhaled deeply before looking at me, his soft brown eyes sparkling in the unusually warm fading fall sun. “Do you wanna... try dating... maybe?”

I stared hard at him, not knowing how to answer. I had dreamt of this moment for as long as I could remember. I always had it planned out in my mind that I wouldn’t be at a loss for words in this moment... but I was now.

                “Well?” he asked after a minute. “Do you wanna try being my... girlfriend?”

I continued to stare at him, a smile forming on my lips. I opened my mouth to answer, but couldn’t find my voice. I simply nodded, a small tear welling into my eyes. He smiled hopefully, moving ever closer.

                “You... will?”

                “Yes” I whispered. “I’ll be your girlfriend.”

Never once had I thought I’d say those words. Never once had I believed I’d be someone’s girlfriend. Not once did I believe someone would want me. I had begun to give up hope. In fact, in those years after highschool, I had given up on love completely. I had believed that I was destined to be alone forever. He changed that the day he almost hit me. He made me believe in love again. He brought my hope back. I knew I’d never doubt again. I finally knew what love was.

I was brought out of my thoughts by him leaning against me again. I looked at him and as I did, he caught me in a deep, passionate kiss. I melted into the kiss and before long, I was cuddled in his arms watching the sun set over the lake. Love existed I had no doubt about it. It existed and I had finally found it. I had finally found my perfect man. I had finally found my Matt.

 

Alternate Ending:

 

A loud buzzing sound jolted me awake. My alarm was sounding loudly. I opened my eyes and looked around before sitting up and yawning. I stopped mid-yawn, realizing I was alone in my room.

                “No... It was too real...” I muttered to myself, tears welling up in my eyes. “It couldn’t have been only a dream...”

I closed my eyes again, not wanting to let go of that image, not wanting to let go of him. I lay back down quickly, determined to live in my dream again, determined to be in his arms once more.

No luck. My eyes wouldn’t stay closed. I couldn’t fall asleep again; I had work in an hour. I sighed deeply and sat up, rubbing my eyes and yawning again. I guess that’s how love was to work for me... only in my dreams. I opened my eyes again and sighed once more, pouting slightly. At least I knew where he was; at least I could see him at night when my eyes closed. At least I knew he was mine.

I had still finally found my Matt, I had still finally discovered what love was. I still found the love I so desperately wanted. It was just close than I thought. It was right under my nose, and that’s where it would stay... mine... forever. 

© 2010 VintagePixie


Author's Note

VintagePixie
I know my grammar/punctuation is off. I am still just learning how to use proper punctuation.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, don't we all wish our OC's would magically appear in real life. Oh how wonderful that would be, haha. I, sadly, didn't have time to read the whole thing, I was dragged out of the house by my friends, so I'll have to finish it later. I got to the part where he is about to take her to her house.
:D Anyway, I wouldn't worry about your grammar and/or punctuation... Mine is terrible and I, too, am still learning to use them properly.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A nice story.
it was a bit long, though i read through the whole thing.
hmm...I have no critisism...my grammar aint that good either...xD
I enjoyed the storyline, so good job

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 22, 2010
Last Updated on June 23, 2010

Author

VintagePixie
VintagePixie

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada



About
I'm Kathy. I love to write anything really. I have a different approach to writing. I let my characters tell me the story they want me to write, and I just let it come out on paper. In fact, it'.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by VintagePixie