Part one: Servitude, Chapter: 1

Part one: Servitude, Chapter: 1

A Chapter by Savior knowmore

Chapter I

Eighteen years ago…

In a village far to the west of the Void, a single child was about to be born under a red moon. It was the anniversary of the day that the Darkened came out of the Void and took over the kingdom. It was a day that held much sorrow for the people.

 

"Let me see. Let me see my child," Durk said to the midwife. He was so happy about the birth, that he did not notice the fear on his wife’s face.

 

"I would not advise that, Durk. You don’t want to see your daughter," Valery, the midwife, said to Durk.

 

"Of course I do, you crazy old woman. Now let me see," Durk grabbed the rough grey cloth from the woman. He laughed and unfolded the bundle to look at his daughter. He shouted loudly, dropping the bundle, "What is that thing!?"

 

It landed on the soft, fluffy bed. Its face was clear to Durk, his wife, and the midwife. "It isn’t your child, Durk. I’m so sorry," Valery said.

 

The thing on the bed was an abomination. A freak of nature. The two rows of sharp teeth were proof. The irises of her eyes shined crimson.

 

"What is that?" Durk asked again, his voice quivering with fear of the unknown.

 

There was a mutter. Then it came again, louder. It was a voice he hadn’t heard in ten months. His wife said, "It… it must be because of… that… horrible thing. When that Darkened came to our home, ten months ago. You weren’t here to protect me, and I wasn’t strong enough, and he-" Her words became thick sobs as everyone recalled the ‘incident’ that happened.

 

"This… thing is a half-breed! A monster in the truest sense of the word! Who knows what it will be like when it grows older," Valery said loudly.

 

"She! When she grows up!" Mary, Durk’s wife, said.

 

"Valery, you sound as if you want to kill the thing!"

 

"We should! We should kill it right now!" She made a lunge for the grey bundle, and Durk grabbed her and threw her against the wall.

 

"This is OUR child! My wife gave birth to the creature, so that makes it our responsibility! We will decide whether it lives or dies, not you!" Durk glowered at the woman. She looked back and forth from Durk to the creature. With a yell, she ran out of the room.

 

"Thank you… Thank you, Durk," Marie said.

 

"We promised to have a child. Even if it’s not my child, it’s still yours. I won’t let anyone kill it." Durk said, looking into the fireplace.

 

"What should we call her?"

 

"I don’t care what you name it."

 

"Penelope. My little Penelope…" Marie held the baby in her arms and cooed to it softly. Durk stared into the fire for a long time.

 

 

 

In the dead of night, Durk opened his eyes. He looked at his wife, who held the creature. It made no sound as it slept. Without a sound, Durk crept over to the bed.

 

He took the grey bundle from Mary’s arms. The abomination opened its eyes and looked at him. He could clearly see the two crimson circles.

 

"Shhh… Be quiet." He carried the monstrosity out of his house. He walked far, miles away to the east.

 

As he saw the massive fortress come into view, he quickened his pace. When he reached the gate, he set the grey bundle on the ground in front of the wrought iron. He took out the small letter and tucked it into a fold in the cloth.

 

Quietly, he spoke the words he wrote. "This creature is my wife’s daughter, Penelope. Allow her to live here. Make sure she doesn’t die. Consider this your payment to me. Durk."

 

The child looked at him. He looked at it. "This is what’s best, creature. Farewell." Durk turned away and headed back to his country home. The child would never see him again, as he killed himself that same night.



© 2012 Savior knowmore


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on January 31, 2012
Last Updated on January 31, 2012


Author

Savior knowmore
Savior knowmore

The Estate



About
Favorite Book: The Host, by the author of Twilight Favorite Movie: Preist Favorite Band: Evanesce Favorite Song: Instituionalized, by Suicidal Tendancies Favorite Color: Crimson Favorite quotes.. more..

Writing