Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Writers Essentials

As the rain calmed itself, wolves flooded out from inside their dens, barking and grunting at the clearing sky. Winter’s dying breathes ruffled the coats of the wolves, sending them shaking and whining into one another, forming clumps near the sides of the stones that lined the Gathering grounds. Some yearlings were forced back into the dens by the angry wind, but the older wolves braced themselves against it and breathed in the chilled air. It soothed their aged throats and reminded them that spring was coming and the land would soon be blessed by their ancestors as it usually was. Many had passed on since the last Gathering and there was still a lot of sympathy and grief floating around the packs as the ghosts of the old mingled with the scent of new life. As with every creature, the wolves knew they would still be watched by their brothers and sisters as they waited to usher in the pups that would be born at this year’s meeting.

The clouds, confident in their endeavors, abandoned the scene of the wolves and drifted eastward towards the Swamps and Canyons that housed the Fox Families and the Coyote desperadoes. These groups were very rarely invited to the Gathering since they were not of wolf kind, but that didn’t mean that the wolves had anything against the smaller animals. The Fox Families were well respected amongst most of the wolf packs, give or take one or two of them who thought they were sneaky and not ones to be trusted. The Coyotes, on the other hand, only had one pack on their side, and that wolf pack was as crooked as the Coyotes were.

Blood River was the second oldest wolf pack next to White Mountain, and one of the most fearsome bunch to be meddled with. There was no such thing as a clean reputation among them and the other wolves at the Gathering wondered what new threat would be born from them this year. There had been many a fall out between Blood River and the surrounding packs regarding certain children born to the Alpha. Only one of those children remained with the Blood River wolves, while the other two had run off and taken advantage of a weak and thinning pack years ago. Now one of those wolves was dead, having been consumed by the winter ice and the other was a tyrant who made himself a nuisance to everyone.

This antagonist now paraded himself about the mingling wolves, in search for his Beta, who had traveled separately from him and his mate. Demon turned his head, his chest rattling with panic from the absence of his second in command. He should be here, he thought, snorting and shoving his way through some of the older wolves and into a clearing. His paws sloshed through the thick mud, flinging debris up at the other wolves as he walked. Some of the members grunted, while others ignored Demon’s behavior, seeing him as just another degenerate who needed to be put in his place. Demon’s silver eyes darted through the faces of every wolf he came across, hoping that one of them would eventually be Fire Snout’s speckled muzzle. To his relief, a small, white and brown tuft of fur caught his eye. He waited for the canine to turn his head, and sure enough, there was the fiery visage he had been looking for.

Demon wagged his tail, and pushed past another bundle of wolves to get to where his Beta stood, conversing with some of the other attendees. As soon as Demon approached the group of wolves, the others narrowed their brows and said their farewells to Fire Snout, who nodded to them in confusion.

“Oh!” he barked, tucking his tail into proper position and dipping his head so Demon would stand taller than him. “I didn't see you there, sir.” He grinned, feeling his face heat up. “I had been looking for you for a while, did you just arrive?”

Demon stilled his excited tail and nodded. “Yes. Marie Vale and I got here a bit ago. She’s in the labor dens now.” The dark wolf glanced around in the distance behind Fire Snout. “Where’s Blue Blind? She did make it, didn't she?”

Fire Snout hid his glare behind yellow eyes. “Yes, she did make it here. She’s in the labor dens with the other mothers-to-be. She’s not as far along as the rest of them but she knows how to prep the first timers.”

The Alpha snorted. “I suppose she would. She’s older than me, isn’t she?”

“She may be older, but she’s still able and kind. She lost all her other pups you know…” Fire Snout began to snap but lowered his voice so not to cause a scene. “I may be four years her junior but that doesn't mean anything. Besides, isn’t Marie Vale quite younger than you anyway?”

A growl rumbled from Demon’s throat, but Fire Snout didn't flinch. When it came to his mate he didn’t back down. Blue Blind was the closest thing he had ever had to a love interest and she was more beautiful than any of the young lasses who flaunted their wears around the pack meetings in his old home pack. He worried about her constantly, and even more so now that she was due to have pups a little after the Gathering. It wasn't uncommon for some of the mothers to not birth their young during the Gathering of Ages. Usually the elders would decide how long the wolves would stay put on the grounds as they waited for the rest of the pups to be born. Fire Snout knew deep down that this could very well be Blue Blind’s last litter. Her former mate had been killed as a member of a hunting party back when she was a member of White Mountain. And to make matters worse, her pups had been born during one of the worse years that the Wolves of Ainu had ever seen.

The poor babes, like many other litters, had been riddled with disease and none of the mothers could eat enough to quench the hunger of their desperate children. Although Fire Snout had not been born yet, he had heard many wolves talk about the horrible circumstances that had come with that year and part of the next. Many had died and those who survived were scarred physically and mentally, and Blue Blind was no exception. This fact made the young male protective of his elderly mate, regardless of who insulted her.

Demon gave little protest regarding Fire Snout’s comment. He let the extended growl die in his chest, and jerked his head from side to side as if looking for someone. Frustration was beginning to build up inside the wolf’s heart and he needed to expel it before it ate him alive. He dismissed his Beta with a nod and a crooked glare before leaving the wolf to his own devices. 

The shadow wolf stalked along the edge of the stones, trying his hardest to blend into the rock face. As he crept along, his eyes once more searched the sea of wolves for a familiar face that he hang his hatred over. His prey wouldn’t be that hard to find, for as soon as Demon rounded the side of the boulder that intersected the Gathering grounds, he found the wolf he had been looking for.

The white beast towered over all of the wolves that passed by him, but his intimidating appearance masked a soft smile and a heavy heart. For every wolf that stopped before him, he greeted them with the utmost kindness and gave each of them the attention they deserved. Demon watched as a few yearling pups circled round the large wolf before getting a gentle nudge to the shoulder and a quiet scold to play farther from the pond that lay behind this pale guardian. The wolf’s watery gaze found Demon’s as the scraggly Alpha approached the beautiful creature. Demon dipped his head and the wolf returned the gesture.

“Nice to see you up and about, Demon.” The wolf’s voice rumbled from his chest but not a hair on his body was threatened by the Alpha’s stance.

“And to you, Snow Drift.” Demon coughed. “So, is Ice Patch in there too?” He tilted his head towards the Labor Dens on the other side of the intersecting rocks.

Snow Drift was quiet as he too looked across the way at the busy entrance of the dens. “Of course.” He cooed, looking down at his companion. “It’s been a few years since we brought some of our own into the pack, but yes, she’s there.” He paused, staring down his pink nose at Demon. “And what of Marie Vale? I would assume that she is in as well?”

The dark wolf snorted as he tilted his head back and glared at Snow Drift. “Yes. My Marie Vale is in there.”

“Your Marie Vale?” a voice from behind Demon turned his attention elsewhere. A growl formed in his throat and slipped past his teeth as he laid eyes on the all too familiar wolf. Merritt approached the two wolves, his brow arched as far as it would go and a faint rumble echoing in his chest. He was definitely the last canine that Demon wished to see there, but it was inevitable.
Demon’s lips curled as he snapped at the old wolf. “Yes! She’s my Marie Vale! She doesn’t belong to your pack anymore, old man!”

Merritt held his ground, even taking a step closer to the raging brute. “I may be old, Demon, but at least I don’t kidnap other people’s children!”
The dark wolf’s silver eyes widened at the insult, then narrowed once more. “You’re going to regret that!” he hissed through clenched fangs and took a step towards Merritt.
Snow Drift looked from one wolf to the other before stepping in between them. “Hush brothers.” He cooed, noticing that some of the Gathering attendees had stopped and were watching the argument. “Don’t cause a scene.”

Merritt stared up at the white wolf, confusion glazing over his eyes. “But Snow Drift,” he started but paused when he received an all knowing crystal stare from his friend.

The fur on Demon’s back bristled at the white wolf’s interference. “Stay out of this, Snow Drift! It’s none of your concern!” he growled, nudging the White Mountain Alpha out of the way with his shoulder and making a rush towards Merritt. 

Snow Drift stumbled and as a result Demon smacked his head into Merritt’s side, toppling the aging wolf over with a yelp. The other wolves of the Gathering stopped and stared at the brawl, some of the yearlings hid behind their elders while others watched in amazement of the spectacle. But to the other wolves this was a normal Demon theatrics. Every year at the Gathering, even before he was Alpha of Green River, the charcoal wolf would pick fights with anyone and everyone who gave him the slightest of glance. They all were used to his aggressive nature by then, but to take down an elder so boldly wasn't appreciated. Especially not by Snow Drift.

Demon was too busy celebrating his antics to notice Snow Drift towering over him, epic jaws wide and angry. The pale wolf clamped his jaws down on the scruffy nape of Demon’s neck, receiving a whine that was immediately followed by a deafening growl. With fangs snapping, Demon refused to be treated such a way and struggled against the white wolf’s hold on his fur. His thick winter coat worked against him however, giving Snow Drift more to hold onto. 

Snow Drift tugged Demon away from where Merritt was laying, shocked and recovering his breathe from the blow. He glared at the dark wolf and gave a soft smile when Snow Drift flipped Demon over onto his back against the hard stone of the pond’s shore. The white wolf released the other from his grip and moved on top of the downed wolf. As gentle as he could, Snow Drift bit Demon’s muzzle and stared into his opponent’s wide eyes, not having to utter a word of victory for him to understand that he had lost this battle. Snow Drift removed his mouth and withdrew from where Demon lay, heading over to Merritt’s side. He pressed his nose against the wolf’s bruised side before turning and giving the culprit an icy stare.

Demon curled himself into a bristled ball, trying his best to hide the pain that pulsed down his back. The blow from Snow Drift had been harder than it looked and he had no choice but to force himself up off the stones and limp away from the scene. This declared Snow Drift the overall winner of the brawl, but the victor was silent as he tended to his winded friend. He did give Demon one last glance before the brute disappeared into the entry way of the Labor Dens. No doubt his version of events would be far different than what had actually happened, but there were enough witnesses this time to warn off his lies. Snow Drift, unfortunately, knew that even having others around didn’t mean much when it came to how unpredictable Demon was. It would slow him down, but it would not stop him. He didn’t think anything could stop Demon.


© 2015 Writers Essentials


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on July 4, 2015
Last Updated on July 4, 2015
Tags: wolves, wolf, animal fiction, nature, wolf packs, fantasy, adventure


Author

Writers Essentials
Writers Essentials

Richmond, VA



About
Writers-Essentials is a group for writers, built by a writer. I wish to share my passion for the written arts with fellow creators and teach those who wish to learn the craft. more..

Writing