Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Writers Essentials

A long, deep howl floated through the early morning air. It eventually drifted toward a small patch of flat rocks that were filled with the shadows of the wolves that lay upon them. One of these shadows stirred and sat up from the unearthed rock where he had been resting, and raised his head to listen to the melodic message. It was tinted with uncertainty but filled with purpose. 

“Hmph,” the wolf huffed. “Merritt, huh?” The canine rose to his feet and stretched out his legs before shaking the dirt from his coat. “Why would he ask us to join the Gathering?” He continued to listen to the howl as it drifted out of ear shot and down through the surrounding valleys. The wolf shifted his paws, the pads sore from living off rocks and gravel. “This doesn't make sense.”

“It doesn't?”

The dark wolf looked over his shoulder as a wolf with a snout like fire approached his side. “Fire Snout? Did you hear it too?”

“Hard to miss.” Fire Snout took a seat next to his friend, pointing his nose towards the rising sun. “Maybe he wants all of the packs together this time, Demon.” He suggested with a soft smile and a slight wag of the tail.

Demon’s silver eyes searched the field ahead of them, but his mind was far from calm. “I don’t trust that rat.” He snapped finally. “You remember what happened the last time we attended a Gathering.” The wolves shared a knowing glance before the fair one looked away.

Fire Snout’s tinted ears laid back against his head. “Yes, I remember.” The memory of the brawl between Demon and Merritt still haunted him. He had been a yearling pup then and the thought of any conflict between the surrounding packs was horrifying. Now it was like second nature. No one got along anymore. There was always some kind of problems and usually Green River was the one who got blamed for it all. Fire Snout assumed it was because their pack was still in its infancy compared to other packs like White Mountain or Blood River. Regardless of the packs age, it shouldn't have changed how they were treated, but it did.

Demon snorted as he rose from the rocks. “He’s lucky my brother didn't kill him when he had the chance, rest his soul.” Fire Snout gave a slight nod, continuing to stare up at the sky, uninterested. “But my brother was a fool!” Demon spat, pacing behind the other wolf. “He couldn't even save himself from the cold, let alone his pack! I wish they all would see the type of idiot he was, and how much stronger of a Leader I am compared to him.”

“If you don’t mind me saying,” Fire Snout dipped his head low and tucked his tail under his legs. “Maybe you come on too strong, sir.” A low growl bellowed from his Alpha’s chest. “Not that it’s a bad thing, of course. But the other wolves may be…threatened by your…presence?” he paused, searching for the right words that wouldn't get him killed. He liked to think that Demon cared a little bit for him but it didn't take much to get on his bad side.

The dark wolf’s gaze pinned Fire Snout to the rock as if a living statue, but soon his eyes softened. Demon bit around Fire Snout’s muzzle, pricking him with his teeth before removing his mouth. A sign of soft dominance was all that was needed in this case. “Don’t be so afraid.” The wolf coughed, licking a little of Fire Snout’s blood that had escaped onto his lips. “You’re my Beta, my Second. I can’t harm you.”

A relieved sigh left Fire Snout’s throat and he eased his ears back up, as well as his tail from under his belly. “Thank you, sir. That means a lot to me.”

“It should.” A crooked smile lined Demon’s snout. It was rare that the Alpha smiled and the awkward expression made his jaws ache. As soon as it came, the pleased visage was gone and had been replaced by Demon’s usual scowl of disapproval. “We’ll leave at sun high. That should give us enough time to escort the girls and get situated at the Gathering place.”

The Beta nodded in understanding. “As you wish, sir.” He bowed his head to Demon before turning and heading back to his stone bed.

Demon nodded a goodbye to his friend and closed his eyes against the new warmth that touched his face. All be it slowly, spring was moving in and would soon be upon the wolves. The passing winter had been especially rough on Green River and Demon couldn't welcome the warm weather enough. A yawn slipped past his lips and the thoughts of loss and agony subsided into exhaustion. Demon gave a final glance at the other members of his pack before resting back down into his own bed and laying his chin on his paws. His silvery eyes squinted, fighting the comfort that he felt until he could no longer resist the temptation of sleep. His mind shrugged off the thoughts of the Gathering, Merritt, and his brother and Demon dosed off into a solid slumber.

                                                                           /~~~~

From deep within Demon’s dreams, a sweet voice called to him, begging him to open his eyes. The wolf shook his head, groaning in protest to the plea. The voice growled and Demon felt a light pinch on his ear. The feeling wasn't painful but it was surprising enough to cause Demon’s eyes to fly open. He turned his head in a furious panic, chest rumbling and teeth showing at whoever disturbed his sleep. A tuft of white fur caught his eye as his head whipped around to bite the culprit. A velvet paw landed against Demon’s nose, receiving a whine from the almighty Alpha. His eyes narrowed and his twisted ears laid flat to his head recognizing who had awoken him.

The she-wolf was reminiscent of winter’s fury and her eyes were flooded by the waters of the Green River. She carried herself tall and full of grace like no other could possibly imitate. Demon stared up at his mate with an apologetic stare.

“Marie Vale.” He croaked.

Marie Vale’s tail wagged as she smiled down at Demon, her ears pricked and belly swollen with pups. “You over slept.” She scolded, licking the wolf’s nose. “Fire Snout and Blue Blind have already left.”

The Alpha forced himself up and rested on his hunches. “Why didn't you go with them? You’re due any day now, you know that.” Marie Vale pouted. “Don’t look at me like that! Would you rather give birth on the side of a trail like some mongrel?”

Her tail tucked under her plump belly. “I just thought you would want to be with me.” She stammered, shifting her paws.

Demon mumbled something under his breath before nuzzling his snout into Marie Vale’s neck. “I’m sorry. I do want to be with you. I just worry, is all.” He laid his ears back and tilted his head. “We can go whenever you’re ready.”

Marie Vale returned her mate’s nuzzle and nodded. “I know you worry.” She yipped softly, turning and padding away from Demon. “Good, let’s go now.” She barked. Demon shook his head at his wife’s happiness but that was her nature. Almost always happy about something trivial. 

He brushed it off and followed close behind her, not wanting her to be too far in case something went wrong. He wasn't going to lose his birth right to anyone or anything. There were few Green River wolves as it was, so his children would have to carry the pack once he was gone. Otherwise it could be taken by anyone who had the right numbers to tear it apart. The thought bristled his fur and sent a jolt down his spine. The notion that his whole world could collapse at any moment was just sickening, and he prayed to the souls of his ancestors that at least one of his children would be worthy enough to strengthen Green River back to its former glory.

“Demon?” Marie Vale’s voice barely reached her mate’s ears as his thoughts devoured his mind. She stared at the wolf who was now next to her then ahead once more. “I was thinking about names,” she started, wagging her tail despite the pain she began to feel in the pads of her feet. “It feels like four, but it could be five.” She cooed feeling the new life within her shuffle around and get comfy near her side. “If one looks like my sisters, we can name her Ginger!” she purred, smiling at Demon who simply nodded and turned his head the other way.

“If one looks like them, sure.” He mumbled, uninterested in anything that had nothing to do with him. He hoped for boys who could lead the pack, and not girls who daydreamed like their mother. It was pointless to dream when there were things to be done and territory to defend. He didn't expect Marie Vale to know anything about that since she had been raised as an Alpha’s daughter and not a responsible Omega like he had once been. She was naive but beautiful and to Demon her presence seemed to even itself out.

The couple were silent the rest of the way down the trail. Marie Vale gave cautious and lonesome glances to her mate every now and then, wanting to talk to him but not finding the courage to speak up. Instead, she busied herself with the thoughts of pups and how happy her parents were going to be about their grandchildren. They were already grandparents but they rarely saw her sister’s pups, so it would be a nice change for them to have family closer to their territory. A cold drop from above broke the she-wolf’s concentration. She turned her nose up to the sky and in turn was hit with a few more rain drops. She gave a small yip and shook the water from her nose. A rumble sounded from her mate’s chest as he too looked up at the darkening sky before quickening his pace.
“We need to hurry up. We’re taking too long.” Demon huffed, taking the lead in front of Marie Vale. She followed him in silence, picking up speed despite the discomfort that was growing in her abdomen.

The Gathering place never felt so far away than it did at that moment. Usually it would take the pack a little over an hour to make the seven mile journey to the Gathering place. As far as Marie Vale could tell, they had been traveling for about 20 minutes and would soon reach the half way mark where all the paths intersected into one. When she use to travel with her native pack, there were usually other wolves resting or crossing the intersection at the same time as her pack was. She had a feeling, though, that not many wolves would be there this time around, considering the weather and Green River’s late start.

The sky soon unleashed its burden upon the two wolves who trotted down the trail, soaking their furs down to their skins. Their paws became caked with the new mud that lined the path before them, squishing between the pads of their feet and causing their strides to slip. Through the downpour and wisps of wind, the pair found the intersection of the paths that connected to the main road. The junction was surrounded by aged trees filled with claw marks and the scents of other Alphas who had marked their territorial tree on the way to the Gathering. This was a custom that every Alpha was familiar with and Demon took his turn marking the Green River tree. This tree in particular was covered in a barrage of wounds but had few scent markings upon it. There had been only a handful of Alphas from the Green River pack since its establishment, which warranted a lot of grief from the surrounding packs. This had become apparent to Marie Vale even before she had joined the wolves of Green River.

She recalled the first Gathering that she had ever attended and how amazed she had been at the treatment of the Green River tree by her pack mates. Some had marked the roots, while other wolves had scratched insults into the bark. Marie Vale sniffed them and gave a soft whine. A couple of the engravings were fresh and harsh to boot. She wasn't sure which pack had done it but she knew that it hadn't been anyone from her native pack. Demon ignored the noise from his mate and went about clawing away at the offensive markings. None of the other trees were defaced in that manner, then again none of the other packs had the history that Green River did. Still, Demon didn't appreciate the messages that were scattered across the battered bark of his pack’s tree. 

Murderer. Thief. Mongrel. Illegitimate.

A growl rattled Demon’s chest as he struggled to claw the remaining marks from the tree. His mate flattened her ears to her head.

“Demon,” she whispered. “Maybe now isn't the best time to worry about this.” Demon snapped his jaws at Marie Vale, causing her to step back from him and her tail to tuck between her legs. “I’m sorry.” She whimpered, offering him an apologetic nudge under the chin.

The dark wolf lifted his head higher and once more marked the Green River tree. “Come on. We don’t have time to rest.” He huffed starting down the path again. 

Marie Vale whined and gave a longing glace at the hollowed tree used by the other mothers. Her belly pulsed with the movement of restless pups and she knew it wouldn't be much longer before they would be forcing themselves into the world. Demon’s comment from earlier stopped her from disobeying him and reluctantly she followed behind the Alpha male.

Demon ran ahead of his snowy mate, slinging mud behind him and sliding all over the path as rain continued to beat down on the pair. Marie Vale’s beautiful coat was matted to her skin and silt clung to her fur as she tried to keep up with her companion. In the distance the outline of boulders and tumbling hills came into sight through the downpour. Both wolves quickened their steps and passed into the Gathering grounds without incident. The mingling scents of wolves from all packs greeted them as they slowed to a walk under the scorched trees that led into the Gathering. Two Betas guarded the entrance. Demon recognized them as Rolling Water from White Mountain and Tall Grass from Blue Rock. The two wolves simply nodded to Demon and Marie Vale and allowed them passage. Marie Vale waged her tail at the familiar faces, but tucked it once more under her swollen belly so Demon wouldn't see it. 

Once inside the boundary of the Gathering grounds, the other wolves became apparent to the pair. Some were huddled under canopies, while others weathered the rain and talked amongst themselves. There were year old pups, yearlings as they were called, splashing through puddles and smeared with dirt from their snouts to their tails. A few of the older wolves laughed, while the mother wolves scolded and barked in annoyance. Marie Vale found herself giggling along with the elder wolves at the yearlings’ shenanigans, remembering how she used to rough house with the boys, while her sisters sat on the sidelines admiring the bull wolves. She was always different from her siblings in that way.

Her thoughts digressed as Demon turned to her. “You go to the Labor Dens and get situated.” He told her, looking from her to some of the other wolves. The rain was beginning to thin and would soon stop.

Marie Vale glanced up at the sky then back to her mate. “You aren't coming?”

“I’ll sit with you later. I need to find Fire Snout and see how his trip went.” Demon snorted, shaking his head.

Marie Vale laid her ears back, frowning. “Alright.” She spoke softly, giving Demon’s cheek a lick before leaving him standing in the last few drops of rain.


© 2015 Writers Essentials


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
Added on July 4, 2015
Last Updated on July 4, 2015
Tags: wolves, wolf, animal fiction, nature, wolf packs, fantasy, adventure


Author

Writers Essentials
Writers Essentials

Richmond, VA



About
Writers-Essentials is a group for writers, built by a writer. I wish to share my passion for the written arts with fellow creators and teach those who wish to learn the craft. more..

Writing