Introduction

Introduction

A Chapter by William Hagerman
"

In this chapter you will learn the intent of the paper/book

"

“Our voices are muted, our stories go unheard, and we are forced into hiding. We are threatened with re-orientation therapy, social isolation, and expulsion. We are told stories and lies that we are disgusting sinners who are damned to hell, that we are broken individuals and child abusers,” just a small portion from the zine HU Queer Press, written and published by a group of Harding University students. Within the past eight years many things have been done in favor of the LGBTQ community within the United States, most recently with the legalization of same-sex marriage. Within those same eight years, higher education institutions have come under pressure to end all discrimination against those who identify as gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender, and queer. While many public universities have incorporated new innovations to help those who identify under those terms, many private and religious institutions continue to seek methods to bypass these laws. In the United States today, there are many differing opinions regarding religious exemptions to discriminatory laws. Some believe that religious universities should not be able to seek these exemptions, while others think that all laws regarding LGBTQ rights should be overturned. The research proves that religious institutions are overstepping their boundaries because of the hurt it causes victims and because their religion does not permit the discrimination of the LGBTQ community.



© 2016 William Hagerman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on April 23, 2016
Last Updated on April 25, 2016
Tags: Research, Oppression, Religion, LGBTQ


Author

William Hagerman
William Hagerman

Searcy, AR



About
Hello, my name is Will Hagerman. I am 19 years old! I attend Harding University where I am pursuing a degree in Spanish with a minor in French. I have always loved writing, and cannot wait to start my.. more..

Writing