Harding University

Harding University

A Chapter by William Hagerman
"

In this chapter you will learn about the oppression that a group of students endured at Harding University.

"

On the 2nd of March in 2011, a group of students came together to share the stories of the queer student body of Harding University. One of the most powerful excerpts from the zine includes quotes from Dr. Joe Brumfield’s course packet titled “Homosexuality: How It Can Be Prevented.” These quotes explain how homosexuality is a learned trait that is formed from a lack of masculine presence, vice versa, in a child’s life. It makes the claim that fathers need to especially be present in the lives of boys who are “non-athletic” and “artistic” because these traits turn boys into homosexuals (HU Queer Press). This excerpt is powerful because of its exposure of this course text that gives no hope to students who may be struggling with feeling hated because of feelings they cannot change. Even though Harding University has not received an exception to Title IX, according to Hannah Moore, a student journalist for Harding University’s The Bison, Dr. Brumfield’s oppressive text is acceptable because it is considered a religious based text and exempt from Title IX. Another touching story from HU Queer Press tells the story of a Freshman at Harding who had fallen in love with a straight “Greek God.” The freshman visited the counseling center three times a week where he was told he had two choices: be saved from his secret sin or be sent to hell. The counseling center offered him no hope for a future. His story ends with his plan to end his life brought on by the counselors telling him that he will spend his life alone, and his lament asking God, “Why He had caused this pain in his life?” (HU Queer Press). Reflecting back on Paul Southwick’s quote above, it is clear that because of oppression caused by religious universities the Title IX exemptions should be prohibited.

            In his book Does Jesus Really Love Me?: A Gay Christian’s Pilgrimage in Search of God in America, Jeff Chu follows the story of Sarah Everett"co-creator of HU Queer Press. Chu describes Harding as a beautiful place with weird superstitions and traditions, but he is quick to point out the flaws of the university. He describes the strict rules and makes comparisons of the university to the modern day Saudi regime. Later in the chapter about Harding University, Chu is talking to a group of students about their faith. The group of students he is with, explains how they have lost their faith since coming to Harding, but Chu adds that these students did not lose their faith they had it stolen from them by a church that condemns them because they are homosexual. He closes this chapter with a comparison of Harding to the hymn “The Solid Rock.” He calls out the university by asking them if they are the “solid rock” or are they really the “sinking sand” which symbolizes the fall of one’s faith (Chu 86-106). These religious institutions not only breed oppression, but go against their own principles of building a strong faith for each and every student.



© 2016 William Hagerman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

313 Views
Added on April 23, 2016
Last Updated on April 25, 2016
Tags: LGBQT, Research, Oppression, Religion


Author

William Hagerman
William Hagerman

Searcy, AR



About
Hello, my name is Will Hagerman. I am 19 years old! I attend Harding University where I am pursuing a degree in Spanish with a minor in French. I have always loved writing, and cannot wait to start my.. more..

Writing