Short Simplicity

Short Simplicity

A Story by A. V. Madison
"

Sort of a PSA for drunk driving...

"

Parol Hearing Conference Room.

Dark chairs, glazed eyes.

"Well, Natalie Fisherman. Is there anything you would like to add?" The tall man in the big black chair on the left asked.

"Yes, sir. If you don't mind."

 

 

6 years old

+++++++++++

"C'mon Natalie! Why are you so afraid to go on the big slide?" Dominique called from the top of the park play tower.

I knew that if I went up there, Mom and Dad would be mad. They told me not to go up there.

"Because I'll get in trouble!" I called back.

"Oh please, Natalie! A little fun won't kill you!" Dominique slid down, and came back out the end.

"See, Nat? I'm fine! C'mon!" Dominique pressured.

For a moment, I was so scared, but then I followed her up. Thinking it was nothing.

But oh, was it something.

 

 

13 years old

+++++++++++

"C'mon Natalie! Why are you so afraid of drugs?" Dominique asked, having her arm around her boyfriend, Travis.

"Because I'll get in trouble..." I replied, tugging on the loose end of my side braid.

"Jesus Christ, Natalie. There's nothing that will hurt you!" She said, taking a little pill.

"See, I'm fine- and I feel great!" Dominique exclaimed.

For a second, I was terrified. But I took a pill, thinking it was nothing.

It was definitely something.

 

 

16 years old

+++++++++++

"C'mon Natalie! There's nothing wrong with a little beer now and then. It'll loosen you up!" Dominique protested to my always evident cautiousness.

"No, Dominique. I had to go into a scared straight program after the drugs you gave me. I'm not gonna throw my life away again!" I said, backing away from her beer bottle.

"You didn't throw your life away over a few pills, Nat!" Dominique stated, a sharp look in her eyes.

"I guess... I guess your right." I grabbed the beer, "This is the only beer though! Stop me if I want more, okay?"

"Okay." Dominique smiled.

I drank that whole beer. And another, and another. I was drunk.

I got into my truck with Dominique. She was in the passenger seat, I was driving. Everything was so jumbled, I swerved out of my lane and into crossing traffic. I crashed into a big truck, bigger than mine. I ricocheted off and hit another. It was too late.

Dominique was dead when we first hit the truck.

Her brain, it was splattered inside her head. Her skull- shattered.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Interesting story, Miss Fisherman. But you underage drank, you have a DUI, and you killed someone. I am denying parol."

"Same here," Said another man.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart." A woman said.

 

 

I walked out of that room, ready to kill myself.

 

© 2012 A. V. Madison


Author's Note

A. V. Madison
Please comment! Thx, Maddie

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was powerful. Amazing and well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Added on May 12, 2012
Last Updated on May 12, 2012

Author

A. V. Madison
A. V. Madison

Only a Kid, But Hard To Scare, CA



About
I'm Maddie. Clumsy. Short-tempered. Quite an oddball. Sort of silly. I make big plans then never do them. I have a fascination with tiny lights. I have atelophobia and OCD. I am the definition.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by A. V. Madison