FlOoD--Part Fourteen

FlOoD--Part Fourteen

A Chapter by Wayne Vargas
"

Night in the City

"

FoUrTeEn


   A large round moon began to rise over the unbroken expanse of liquid. In the quiet and stillness, a rippling worm of light came slithering across the water and collided with the vessel which had assumed the characteristics of a baby's cradle, although Davis, curled up in the bottom under Peterson's coat, was the only occupant who could possibly merit the appellation of "young". As the spotlight of the moon illuminated the rocking craft, it picked out, as the side which was nearer to it sank close to the water and the other rose above the shadow, a face peering above the wooden barrier and caught its reflection in a pair of lazy blue eyes. The eyes absorbed the moon and, as though actually casting a reflection of it, they examined by its light the contents of the boat. Wilkerson (for it must be he, as our cast has now reached a total of eight, and there will be no further additions [other than various supernumeraries] and seven of them are asleep and accounted for inside the craft) had had his fill of water by this time, although it must be stated that this metaphorical fill he had had was on the outside of his anatomy. Otherwise, he would have been filled by the water as opposed to having his fill of it. At all events, his one design at present was to remove himself from the offending medium and occupy, with his fellows, a relatively dry area of his own in the somewhat overcrowded shelter of the boat. By rocking the craft back and forth, he had hoped that it would, at some point before everyone awoke (or the boat overturned), reach an incline that would be conducive to an innocuous insinuation of himself into the ranks of the other passengers. As the moon seemed a little higher in the firmament each time his eyes caught a glimpse of her over the desencion of the opposite side of the boat, Wilkerson decided he'd best make his insertion attempt soon, before the rocking or the illumination or both aroused one or more of the unthreatened-because-unaware sleepers who might possibly feel it their duty to repel boarders.

   So he quietly gave himself a countdown each time the boat leaned over towards him.

   "Three (yep yep)."

   He took a firm grip of the edge of the boat, prepared to heave himself up.

   "Two (yep yep)."

   He tensed all his muscles, ready for a great leap.

   "One (yep yep)."

   He inhaled as much breath as his damp lungs would contain, and held it to provide the energy for his propulsion. The moon radiated the words "Blast off!" into his eyes just as it disappeared behind the rising side of the boat.



© 2009 Wayne Vargas


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on March 14, 2009
Last Updated on July 20, 2009
Previous Versions


Author

Wayne Vargas
Wayne Vargas

Taunton, MA



Writing
FLOOD FLOOD

A Book by Wayne Vargas