Chapter 2 - The Professor

Chapter 2 - The Professor

A Chapter by Richard James Timothy Kirk

Professor Jonathan Mason was head of the History Department at the University of Armitage, and was without a doubt Madeline’s favourite lecturer. She never found his classes boring and he always provoked the most stimulating of discussions. He had spent several years tutoring in England, where he was a Professor of History at Oxford University, and his reputation and credentials afforded him the opportunity to teach wherever he pleased. It was rumoured that he would replace the current Dean when Professor Roper retired, although Professor Mason had said nothing of this himself, seeming content to run the History Department and not wish for further advancement.


When Madeline arrived at the lecture hall Professor Mason was already there, standing at the podium arranging his notes, the curtains of the room drawn, ready for the slides he had prepared for the morning. He looked up and smiled as the door closed behind Madeline.


‘Ah Miss Jameson,’ he said genially. ‘So nice to see you again.’


‘Good morning Professor,’ said Madeline amiably, as she approached the stage.


‘And how are you today?’ he said, looking at her over his half moon glasses.


‘Fine thank you, and yourself?’


‘Oh you know, struggling on,’ said the professor with a wry smile. Madeline liked the professor’s sense of humour, very dry but never scathing. He would tease wayward students for such things as being late and not paying attention, but he never made anyone feel picked on.


As they were talking, more people began to filter into the lecture hall so Madeline decided to take her seat. She climbed the shallow stairs and settled down in her usual place: next the aisle, halfway up. She rested her bag on her knees, and removed a folder and ballpoint pen. She dated the next clean page and put her name in the top left corner, and then waited while the rest of the class arrived. When everyone was seated Professor Mason cleared his throat, signalling for quiet.


‘Well, I think we’re all here so let's begin, shall we?’

 

*          *          *

 

While Professor Mason delivered his lecture on the social and cultural facets of Victorian England, another discussion was taking place somewhere deep within Armitage. A very heated discussion in a dingy room in the city’s poorer district.


‘We can’t keep doing this, man,’ said one voice.


‘You wanna starve?’ said a second.


‘No, but you know what he’ll do if he catches us.’


If he catches us, I bet he don’t even know.’


‘I don’t know…’


‘Look, will you stop worrying? I’ve got everything wired, okay? We’re low on his radar, man. Real low. He don’t even come to this part of town, so how’s he gonna find out?’


‘But the things they say about him…’


‘Bullshit stories, man. Cooked up by dog killing freaks. You wanna live on dog?’


‘No way!’


‘Then quit worrying.’

 

*          *          *

 

When Professor Mason had finished his lecture he laid down his notes and picked up a fresh sheet of paper from the table beside him.


‘Before you all leave I have a couple of notices,’ he said, eyeing the few people who had begun to stand up, ready to leave. ‘First off, all students are advised to take note of the new security precautions the university is implementing in light of recent events. No doubt you have all seen the posters around campus, do read them, they are there for your own safety. Secondly, those of you who have not yet informed me of your chosen research paper subject must do so no later than next week, thank you.’ People began to rise from chairs, some made their way out of the lecture hall and some proceeded down towards the podium to speak to the professor; Madeline was amongst this group. She waited patiently while other people told Professor Mason what they would be doing for their research papers and when she was at the head of the queue she was greeted with a welcoming smile.


‘So Miss Jameson, what will you be presenting then?’ His tone was warm, friendly.


‘I’ve been thinking of looking into the Jack the Ripper case, as it ties in with our discussions on Victorian England.’ For a moment it did not look like the professor had heard her, but as Madeline was about to check Professor Mason responded.


‘Really?’ he said, sounding somewhat surprised. ‘Quite the task, if you don’t mind me saying so, a lot of ambiguity and uncertainty. However, I have complete faith that you will give it your all, and I look forward to reading your findings.’


‘Thank you Professor, I hope I don’t disappoint you.’


‘I’m sure you won’t my dear,’ he smiled.


‘Well, I think I’ll go and make a start on my research,’ said Madeline, shouldering her bag.


‘Excellent,’ said the professor, slipping his files into a neat, brown folder. ‘No time like the present. Or the past, for that matter.’ Madeline smiled and made her way out of the lecture hall and headed over to the library. The morning light made her blink a little after the darkened lecture hall and as she entered the library building she smiled a greeting at the desk clerk and ascended the stairs to the second floor. She found a spare index computer and began to search for some of the titles that she would need for her research paper. The glow of the screen reflected off of her glasses as she scrolled down the page. She jotted down a few codes on a scrap piece of paper, put her reading glasses back in their case and went looking for the relevant books. She found the titles that she needed, but as she passed one of the windows on her way back to her desk something outside caught her eye.


It was that man again.


He was shuffling slowly along the building adjacent to the library, keeping very close to the wall, his body still covered in thick, worn material. He continued to sidle uneasily along the wall and then stopped. He turned towards the library building and for a second Madeline could have sworn that he was looking up at her. As she stared at the mysterious figure he raised an arm and pointed towards her.


‘Do you need any help?’ Madeline let out a yelp of surprise and dropped her books as a librarian recoiled in shock.


‘Oh God, sorry, you scared me,’ said Madeline, catching her breath.


‘No I’m sorry,’ said the librarian, bending down to pick up the books.


‘Please, let me.’ Madeline helped the librarian with the books and thanked her as she went back to her desk. Feeling embarrassed and stupid, Madeline looked out of the window again but the hooded man was definitely gone. Taking a steadying breath she carried her books back to her table and began reading some relevant chapters, taking notes where necessary.


Victorian England was one of Madeline’s favourite periods in history and the Ripper case had fascinated her with its gruesome mystery and twisted, convoluted theories. She held out no hope of shedding any definitive new light on the case but deep down she welcomed the challenge of whether she would be able to unearth any fresh or overlooked evidence concerning the brutal killings of those five prostitutes in Whitechapel, London in 1888. New evidence or not, Madeline could already tell that this was going to be an interesting research paper.


After an hour or so Madeline started to feel hungry so she decided to do something about lunch. She checked her watch, it was a little after three. She knew Abby had classes all day but Ben might be free. Fishing her phone out from her bag she composed a text message to Ben.


HI BEN, FANCY A COFFEE? �" MADDIE.


SURE DO, replied Ben. WHERE R U?


LIBRARY


OK, MEET U THERE. Madeline collected her things and headed downstairs to meet Ben. She sat in one of the lobby chairs as she waited, watching people come and go, before she saw Ben skateboard up to the library building.


‘Hi Maddie,’ he said as he entered the lobby. ‘Ready for that coffee?’


‘And something to eat, I’m starving.’


‘Cool, let’s go.’

 

*          *          *

 

Somewhere else in Armitage a phone was ringing.


‘Hello?’ said the person who answered.


‘Sir,’ the caller replied. ‘I have located the base of operations of the group as you asked.’


‘Excellent, I expect a full briefing upon your return.’


‘Yes sir. Do you wish me to bring them to you?’


‘No, not yet, if the intelligence you have supplied thus far is up to scratch they have become more adventurous of late and I may know where to find at least the bolder ones amongst them.’


‘Yes sir.’

 

*          *          *

 

Jack’s Coffeehouse was a popular haunt for students and the artistic community of Armitage. The proprietor, Jack Greene, was a former English Professor of the University of Armitage, having taken early retirement several years ago. He still took an active interest in the affairs of the University and was a well liked figure with students, past and present. The majority of his staff were comprised of students as well, and there were weekly poetry readings for anyone who wanted to share their work. Jack himself had been known to occasionally step behind the microphone.


Madeline and Ben made their way from the University down to Jack’s, ordering lunch and a couple of coffees when they arrived. The afternoon was pleasant enough for Jack to have set up outside seating so Madeline and Ben took up a table by the street.


‘So how was your morning?’ asked Ben as they tucked into their lunch.


‘Not bad, how about you?’


‘Big yawner, nothing to report.’ Ben took another mouthful before continuing. ‘You coming to Open Mike Night tonight? Abby and I thought we’d check it out.’


‘Okay, sounds like fun.’


‘Great, some of the stuff’s pretty awful but it’s good for a laugh.’ As they sat enjoying their lunch Madeline’s phone began to ring and when she took it from her bag Madeline saw that it was Abby.


‘Hi Abby,’ she said.


‘Hi, is Ben with you?’


‘Yeah, we’re at Jack’s.’


‘Okay, I’ll be there in ten minutes,’ said Abby. ‘Oh, and tell Ben to turn his damn phone on.’


Madeline smiled and flipped her phone shut. ‘That was Abby, she’s on her way.’


‘Oh cool,’ said Ben.


‘And she said for you to turn your phone on.’ Ben fished his phone out of his bag and looked up from it sheepishly.


‘Oops, I’m going to get it now.’ Madeline laughed and stirred her coffee until all the grains of sugar had disappeared. She took a sip and surveyed the sunlit street with a sweeping glance. Ben continued to chat about how boring his morning class had been and Madeline was paying mild attention until her eye caught something across the street. Her body tensed as she stared harder at what she thought was the mysterious vagrant who she had seen twice already that day. She was relieved when she realised that it was just some rubbish blowing in the gentle breeze in the mouth of an alley, but Ben had noticed her change in demeanour.


‘You okay Maddie?’ he asked.


‘Hmm? Oh yes, fine,’ she said, trying to sound nonchalant. Ben turned in his chair and looked across the street but saw nothing.


‘You sure?’ he said, looking somewhat concerned. ‘You look a little freaked.’ Madeline sighed and looked Ben in the eye.


‘Can I tell you something?’ she said quietly.


‘Of course,’ said Ben, turning fully in his chair to face Madeline.


‘I saw that man again this afternoon.’


‘The one you saw on your jog?’


‘Yes.’


‘Where?’


‘The library.’


‘He was in the library?’ asked Ben, sounding shocked.


‘No, no,’ said Madeline quickly. ‘He was outside; I was in the library.’


‘Oh, well what happened?’


‘I was on the second floor getting some books when I saw him out of one of the windows.’


‘What was he doing?’


‘He was walking along the building opposite the library, right next to the wall.’


‘Well I know he shouldn’t be on campus but it doesn’t sound like he was doing anything wrong.’


‘Yeah, but…’ said Madeline uneasily.


‘But what?’


‘I think he saw me.’


‘How do you know?’


‘He stopped and looked up at where I was.’


‘But the library’s full of windows,’ said Ben. ‘And it’s damn near impossible to see in from the outside, especially the upper floors. How could he know which one you were at?’


‘I don’t know, but he must have because he pointed at me.’


‘He what?


‘I swear it, it’s almost like he knew exactly where I was and that I was looking at him.’


‘Did anything else happen?’ asked Ben, his usual light conversational tone replaced by a more serious one.


‘No, a librarian startled me and when I looked again he’d gone.’


‘Weird,’ said Ben.


‘Tell me about it,’ agreed Madeline. ‘Listen, do me a favour, don’t tell Abby about this. You know how she gets; she’ll have this guy arrested for stalking me or something.’


‘My lips are sealed,’ said Ben, patting Madeline’s hand reassuringly. ‘Oh, speak of the devil, here she comes now.’ Madeline turned in her chair and saw Abby coming up the road in the direction of the coffeehouse. As she waited for some cars to pass she waved at Madeline and Ben and then trotted nimbly across the street. Ben took his bag off the remaining chair and pulled it out just as Abby was approaching.


‘Always the gentleman,’ smiled Abby, as she sat down.


‘M’lady,’ said Ben, as he took an exaggerated bow.


‘How was class?’ asked Madeline, smiling at Ben’s goofiness.


‘Not bad,’ said Abby. ‘My project’s coming along nicely.’


‘That’s good. Coffee?’


‘Please.’


‘Allow me,’ said Ben, fishing his wallet out of his pocket. ‘Want another one Maddie?’


‘Oh go on then,’ said Madeline. ‘You twisted my arm.’


‘Be back in a second then,’ said Ben, as he stood up and made his way inside the coffeehouse.


‘Did Ben tell you about tonight?’ asked Abby.


‘Yeah, sounds like fun,’ said Madeline.


‘Great, shall we swing by your building or do you want to just meet us here?’


‘I’m a bit out of the way aren’t I?’


‘No problem,’ said Abby. ‘We can make a detour, and besides, it’s not safe to walk around alone at night, not with what’s been going on lately.’


‘Yeah, I suppose,’ said Madeline, instantly being reminded of her run-ins with the anonymous vagrant. For a second she thought about telling Abby what had happened but decided against it, she knew all too well how Abby would react. Luckily, before Madeline could worry too much about it Ben re-emerged from the coffeehouse, this time carrying a tray. He set the tray down on the table and sat back down in his chair.


‘Jack was busy so I helped myself to a tray,’ he said, as he ripped open a packet of sugar and stirred it into his coffee.


‘Do you know if he’s going to read anything tonight?’ asked Madeline.


‘Not sure, but he might,’ said Ben, before taking a tentative sip of his piping hot coffee.


‘I hope he does, I like his stuff,’ said Madeline, taking her cup from the tray.


‘Me too,’ said Abby.


‘Certainly an improvement on some of the stuff that gets read here,’ said Ben, as he blew on his coffee. The three of them spent the rest of the afternoon discussing the quality of the poetry that was preformed at Jack’s, as well as their respective projects/

 

*          *          *

 

Back in the dingy room on the older side of Armitage, two figures sat huddled in the near darkness.


‘I won’t do it, man, we’ll get caught.’


‘Will you relax? You know we ain’t got no choice.’


‘But it’s too close to his turf. Damn it, it is his turf, I won’t do it.’


‘Then stay,’ snapped one of the voices. ‘Scrape by on what this s**t-hole provides, I’m going.’


‘You’ll get caught, man.’


‘F**k off!’



© 2014 Richard James Timothy Kirk


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on October 7, 2014
Last Updated on October 7, 2014


Author

Richard James Timothy Kirk
Richard James Timothy Kirk

United Kingdom



About
Well, what can I say, really? I enjoy writing and I like having the opportunity of posting my stuff online for others to read. I write short stories, fan-fiction and poetry, and have been doing so s.. more..

Writing