Chapter 3 - A Good Night Gone Bad

Chapter 3 - A Good Night Gone Bad

A Chapter by Richard James Timothy Kirk

Later that evening, Madeline was in her dorm room getting ready to go out. She brushed her hair in front of the bathroom mirror and applied some makeup, but only a small amount, as she never liked to wear too much. As she was checking her purse to make sure that she had everything her intercom phone buzzed. Instantly she knew it was Ben and Abby, as Ben always rang the intercom for longer than was necessary. Smiling to herself she closed her purse and picked the intercom receiver off its wall mount.


‘Hi Ben,’ she said.


‘You ready?’


‘Yep, I’ll be right down.’


‘Cool.’ Madeline pressed the intercom button to allow Ben and Abby to step into the lobby and then replaced the receiver. She turned off her light and stepped out into the hall, where she could hear music coming from Jennifer’s room. She was probably entertaining someone, Madeline thought to herself. Making sure her door was locked, as she did every time she went out, Madeline made her way downstairs to where Ben and Abby were waiting.


‘I’m impressed,’ said Madeline jokingly. ‘You guys are early.’


‘Yeah, managed to get her ladyship out of the door sooner than expected,’ laughed Ben, wincing when Abby punched him playfully in the arm.


‘What can I say?’ shrugged Abby. ‘I just have my own time frame.’


‘Time frame?’ remarked Ben. ‘You have your own time zone.’ Madeline stifled a laugh as Abby shook her fist at her boyfriend.


‘You want more of this?’ she asked, half smiling.


‘No ma’am,’ said Ben, flashing her a broad grin.


‘Alright then, let’s go.’ Ben held the door open for Abby and Madeline and let it close behind him.

 

*          *          *

 

There was a small bar at Jack’s that served alcohol in the evenings and this attracted more customers than during the day, so when Madeline, Ben and Abby arrived they were not surprised to find the place rather busy. There was room to move but it was somewhat of a squeeze getting up to the bar, with Ben leading the way and Madeline and Abby following behind.


‘I don’t like our chances of getting a table,’ said Abby, looking around the crowded café.


‘No, here we go,’ said Ben, as he craned his neck to peer over the crowd. ‘Hey, Mike!’ He shouted towards a timid looking young man in glasses who was sitting by himself in the corner. He smiled and waved them over when he saw Ben. ‘No problem ladies, one table, follow me.’ Ben weaved his way through the throng while holding Abby’s hand behind him. Abby herself reached back and took hold of Madeline’s sleeve and the three of them made their way over to the table that Mike was sitting at. As Madeline passed several people she was surprised to hear someone call her name.


‘Why Miss Jameson, good evening,’ said a familiar voice. Madeline turned around to see Professor Mason smiling at her from one of the tables near the counter.


‘Oh hello Professor,’ she said. ‘I didn’t expect to see you here.’


‘Oh I’ve always been a devotee of the lively arts,’ said Professor Mason brightly. ‘And Jack makes a splendid cappuccino.’


‘You know Jack?’


‘Of course, after all he was a professor up at the university for a good few years. I can’t tell you how pleased I was to find out he wasn’t going very far when he retired.’ Madeline smiled and looked over her shoulder to see Ben and Abby settling themselves at Mike’s table, Ben was saving Madeline a seat while talking to Mike.


‘Well it was nice seeing you,’ she said politely. ‘I’d better get back to my friends; they’re saving me a seat.’


‘Oh of course,’ said Professor Mason. ‘Yes it is rather busy tonight, and I know it’s not the done thing to be seen fraternising with faculty members.’ Both he and Madeline laughed.


‘Well, see you in class,’ she said.


‘Yes, you have a good night.’ Madeline made her way over to the table where her friends were sitting, wondering who this Mike could be. As she approached, Ben took his feet off of the chair he was saving for her.


‘What kept you?’ he asked, as she sat down.


‘Oh, I saw Professor Mason,’ said Madeline, pulling her chair in.


‘He’s here?’ asked Abby.


‘Yeah, he knows Jack, apparently.’


‘Small world,’ said Ben. ‘Anyway, Madeline this is Mike Newman, Mike, meet Madeline Jameson.’ The young man sitting next to Ben smiled shyly and waved a small hello.


‘Nice to meet you,’ said Madeline.


‘Nice to meet you too,’ said Mike quietly. Ben grinned to himself and Madeline caught sight of it. He’s up to something, she thought. She looked back at Mike who tried to meet her gaze but kept staring into his lap, and when the conversation lulled she tried to spur it back into action.


‘So how do you two know each other?’ she asked.


‘Class,’ said Ben, slapping his friend heartily on the back, causing him to jolt forwards slightly. ‘Mike’s my go to guy when I’m stuck’


‘Really?’ said Abby. ‘And I thought you knew it all.’


‘Hey, even us geniuses need a little help now and then,’ smiled Ben.


‘Well genius, you can help us by getting some drinks.’ Ben looked out into the crowded café and made a face.


‘Okay, but you owe me one,’ he said cheekily.


‘I owe you nothing,’ said Abby, making a face back at him.


‘Fair enough,’ said Ben, as he stood up and fished his wallet out of his pocket. ‘Same again, Mike?’


‘Oh, yeah, thanks,’ said Mike.


‘Ladies?’ asked Ben, looking from Abby to Madeline.


‘I’ll have a beer,’ said Abby.


‘Jack and Coke,’ said Madeline.


‘Oh ho, serious drinker here,’ said Ben, smiling fiendishly. ‘Okay, if I’m not back in five minutes send out the National Guard.’


‘Just get going,’ said Abby.


‘Okay, I’m gone.’ Ben stepped awkwardly out from the table and disappeared in the direction of the bar. As Madeline, Abby and Mike made small talk a spotlight was turned on, illuminating a small stage with a stool and a microphone stand. Into the circle of light stepped Jack Greene, carrying a microphone, which he slotted in place on to the stand. He flicked it on and tapped it a few times to make sure it was working.


‘Good evening everyone,’ he said, squinting into the light. ‘I’d like to welcome you all to tonight’s poetry reading. I’m very pleased to see so many of you here so without further ado let’s start the show.’ He disappeared out of the spotlight and was replaced by a short young woman wearing black-rimmed glasses and carrying a small red book, the first of the nights’ poets.


The evening proved to be reasonably entertaining, there were some readings that Madeline quite enjoyed and others she did not really care for, but she was getting on quite well with Mike, whose shyness diminished somewhat as the night wore on, so she was enjoying herself. Jack closed out the evening with some of his own work, getting by far the best reaction of the night, and when it came to closing time Ben and Abby suggested they move on to a nightclub.


‘Not for me thanks,’ said Madeline. ‘I’m beat, and I have to be up early for class.’


‘Can I walk you home?’ asked Mike, standing up as she did.


‘Yeah okay,’ said Madeline, shouldering her purse. ‘That would be nice.’ Ben and Abby smirked at one another as Madeline got out from behind the table, this too she noticed.


‘Awww, he likes you,’ cooed Ben conspiratorially in Madeline’s ear.


‘What are you two up to?’ asked Madeline suspiciously.


‘Us?’ said Ben innocently. ‘I’m sure I don’t know what you mean.’


‘Just don’t do anything we wouldn’t do,’ said Abby with a grin.


‘Well that doesn’t leave me with much, does it?’ said Madeline, also grinning.


‘Oh, the cheek!’ said Abby mischievously. ‘You just have a good night, whatever you get up to.’


‘I will, not that I think anything will happen.’


‘You never know,’ said Abby, as she winked at Madeline.


‘Will you two get out of here?’ said Madeline with a smile.


‘Later Maddie,’ said Ben. ‘See you in class, tiger.’ He slapped Mike on the back as he said this, causing Mike to jolt again and look embarrassed. He avoided eye contact as they left the coffeehouse and began to walk down the street, nervously clearing his throat every now and then.


‘Did you have a good time tonight?’ he asked eventually.


‘Yes thank you,’ replied Madeline. ‘Did you?’


‘Yeah, it was fun,’ he said. They continued to walk in relative silence for a few minutes, engaging in sporadic conversation. Madeline found Mike’s shy demeanour rather sweet and it was certainly a welcome change from the average frat boy who seemed to have partying and sex constantly on the brain. She didn’t chase boys like some of the girls she knew on campus, but she didn’t shy away from male attention either, not if it was done properly. She also knew that at least one of Ben and Abby had come up with the idea of pairing her off with Mike and she appreciated that they were thinking of her, but she took things at her own pace and that was that.


As they walked along they passed the entrance to a darkened alley and it looked as if Mike was about to attempt to strike up another mini-conversation but before any words could leave his mouth a dark shaped lashed out of the alley with lightning speed. A thunderous blow to the head sent Mike sailing to the ground and before Madeline could scream a thick, coarse hand clamped itself over her mouth and held her in a vice-like grip, the fingers digging painfully into her cheeks.


‘Try anything and I’ll kill you!’ hissed the voice of her assailant as he dragged Madeline into the alleyway. He used his free hand to hoist Mike up and toss him, unconscious, on to a pile of rubbish that lay heaped up against a dumpster. The darkness of the alley was almost complete; Madeline couldn’t see anything save for gloomy unfamiliar shapes in the inky blackness. Her breathing came hot and fast on the hand of her attacker but in a moment of strange clarity she noticed that his breath felt cold on her skin, almost like a draught. Before she could think on this anymore the hand that had been wrapped around her jaw whipped behind her head and took a handful of her hair. Jerking her head violently to the side, Madeline let out a cry of pain as her cheek was almost touching her shoulder, and her attacker tugged threateningly on her hair again.


‘Do that again and I’ll snap your neck,’ he growled menacingly.


‘Please no,’ said Madeline, the fear bringing tears to her eyes. ‘Take my purse; take whatever you want, just don’t hurt us.’ The attacker let out a rough and guttural laugh that sent shivers through Madeline’s body. Mike still lay in a crumpled heap in amongst the rubbish, knocked out cold.


‘I don’t want your money, sweetheart,’ the attacker drawled sleazily. Oh God, thought Madeline, he’s going to rape me. She began to feel sick as the terror churned her stomach, while the attacker ran a finger sickly down the length of her neck. His touch also felt cold, thought Madeline in another moment of detached clarity, but the attacker then leaned in towards her and she braced herself for whatever he had planned, but as his mouth was mere inches from her neck his head suddenly snapped back and his grip on her hair loosened. He was suddenly thrown violently into the wall of the alley and as he landed with a thud Madeline spun round to see Professor Mason glaring at him with an expression of such anger that she had never seen before.


‘You…’ sputtered her would-be assailant from the ground.


‘Yes me,’ said Professor Mason coldly, his voice different, harder somehow. ‘This one’s not for you.’ Madeline tried to take stock of what was going on but her head suddenly felt fuzzy, as if her thoughts were clouded in thick fog.


‘Professor I…’ she began.


‘You’re safe now, Madeline,’ said the professor, using her first name, something she could never remember him doing before.


‘I’ll deal with you another time,’ said Professor Mason, addressing the attacker. ‘Now get out of my sight, and tell your friends to expect the same if I run into any of them!’ The attacker quickly picked himself up and fled into the night, leaving the three of them in the darkened alley.


‘Are you hurt, my dear?’ he asked, his voice returning to its normal level of kindly concern.

‘I don’t think so,’ replied Madeline almost in a whisper. Her thoughts seemed to be her own again, but now that the ordeal was over the impact of it sank in, and her legs buckled underneath her, causing her to lurch forward.


‘Easy now, I’ve got you,’ said Professor Mason. He looked down at Mike’s prone figure and took a sweeping glance around the alley. ‘We have to get you two to a hospital.’ The professor pulled a mobile phone out of his jacket pocket with his free hand, dialled a number and spoke briefly with someone on the other end of the line. ‘Help is on the way,’ he said.


‘Thank you,’ said Madeline, as she allowed herself to be supported by Professor Mason.


‘It was just fortunate I happened to be passing, I tell you the streets aren’t safe these days, but I must check on your friend. Can you stand?’


‘Yes, I think so.’ Madeline steadied herself on a nearby wall as Professor Mason knelt down by Mike and examined him briefly.


‘He’s concussed but he’ll live,’ he said, standing up. ‘Ah, here’s Andreas now.’ From out of the night came a sleek, black Mercedes Benz that glided elegantly up to the mouth of the alleyway and stopped smoothly. Out of the car emerged an olive skinned man with jet black hair and a neat looking suit. He nodded at Professor Mason as he closed the car door.


‘Sir,’ he said.


‘Thank you for coming so quickly, Andreas. Miss Jameson and her friend have had a nasty encounter and need medical attention, the young man is unconscious in the alleyway, do take care when moving him.’


‘Yes sir.’ Andreas disappeared into the alley and returned moments later with Mike, carrying him like he were a sleeping child.


‘We will have to lay him on the backseat,’ said Professor Mason, opening the passenger door of the car. ‘Will you be alright to have the young man’s head on your lap, Miss Jameson? We don’t want him hurt any more than he is now.’


‘I’ll be fine,’ said Madeline.


‘Excellent, well let’s not waste anymore time. Andreas, County General if you please.’


‘Yes sir.’


‘But Professor, why didn’t you call an ambulance?’ asked Madeline, suddenly realising the strangeness of this situation.


‘This way is quicker,’ replied the professor.


‘But who is that man?’ she asked.


‘He’s my assistant, come now, we must get you and your young friend to a doctor.’ Madeline climbed dutifully into the backseat of the pristine Mercedes and took Mike’s head in her hands as he was laid across the seat. As soon as Professor Mason and Andreas were in their seats the car sped off in the direction of Armitage County General Hospital.

 

*          *          *

 

Traffic at this time of night was sparse, so the one called Andreas made good time to the hospital. He pulled into the drop off point and got out of the car, as did Professor Mason.


‘You take the boy,’ said the professor, as he opened the passenger door. ‘I’ll attend to Miss Jameson.’


‘Yes sir.’ Andreas lifted Mike with ease and began walking towards the hospital entrance, while Professor Mason helped Madeline out of the car.


‘How are you feeling, my dear?’ he asked, as he put her arm over his shoulder to help her walk.


‘Better, thank you,’ said Madeline.


‘Well let’s get you seen to anyway,’ said the professor, as they came to the door. As soon as they were inside a nurse came out from behind the Reception desk and approached them quickly.


‘Tito, Raymond, we’ve got one out cold here,’ she said, looking back at two male orderlies. ‘Get him to Curtain Five and page Doctor Bradford.’ The orderlies took Mike from Andreas, laid him on a gurney and wheeled him off down the corridor. The nurse then turned her attention to Madeline and the professor. ‘Mary, bring me a wheelchair.’


‘I’m okay, I can walk,’ said Madeline.


‘Now now, do as you’re told,’ said Professor Mason. ‘You’ve had quite a scare; you don’t want to take any chances.’


‘Are you a relative?’ asked the nurse.


‘No, I’m her History Professor.’


‘Then you’ll have to wait here.’ The orderly returned with a wheelchair. ‘Thank you Mary, Curtain Two should be free.’


‘Okay.’ Madeline was wheeled off in the same direction Mike had gone and the nurse then turned her attention to Professor Mason.


‘So what happened, sir?’


‘It appears the young lady and her friend were attacked downtown.’


‘Have you called the police?’


‘Not yet, no, my first concern was getting them here.’


‘Right,’ said the nurse. ‘Well stick around; they might want you to give a statement.’


‘Of course,’ said the professor. ‘You will let me know how they are, won’t you?’


‘We’ll let you know as soon as we do,’ said the nurse.


‘Thank you.’ Professor Mason walked back towards where Andreas was standing and spoke quietly in his ear. ‘You know what to do.’


‘Yes sir.’ Andreas promptly left the hospital and Professor Mason sat himself in the waiting area, casually eyeing the pitiful collection of magazines that were lying on the table.


A short while later a young female doctor approached Professor Mason, who stood to greet her.


‘Professor Mason?’


‘Yes?’


‘I’m Doctor Karen Bradford,’ she said, extending her hand.


‘Nice to meet you,’ said the professor, as he shook her hand politely. ‘How are they?’


‘They’re going to be fine. Mister Newman’s suffering from mild concussion but he should be okay, and Miss Jameson’s just a little shaken up, nothing serious.’


‘Thank you, Doctor,’ said Professor Mason. ‘May I see Miss Jameson?’


‘Yes of course,’ she said. ‘It’s right this way.’ Doctor Bradford led Professor Mason to Curtain Area Two, where Madeline was sitting on the bed, staring at her feet.


‘Are you alright, my dear?’ he asked, as she looked up.


‘Yeah, I think so,’ she said.


‘Doctor Bradford said your young friend has a case of mild concussion but should be fine. In the meantime is there anyone you would like me to contact for you? Friends? Family?’ Madeline thought about Ben and Abby out at one of Armitage’s nightclubs, they probably wouldn’t leave until gone 2am and she didn’t like the thought of them walking back to campus at that time, not with someone like her attacker loose on the streets. She handed Professor Mason her phone and asked him to call them for her. He stepped out into the corridor and Madeline could hear him having to shout to be heard. He paused for a second and when he spoke again his volume had returned to normal.


‘They’re on their way,’ he said as he re-entered the curtained area. ‘I had to shout for them to hear me, but I’m sure you heard that.’ Madeline smiled. ‘Mister Stockton finally had the good sense to go somewhere quiet so we could talk properly.’


‘Thank you for calling them, Professor.’


‘It’s nothing, my dear. Now you just get some rest, the police will be here soon and they’ll no doubt have many questions for us both to answer.’ The professor stood up and smiled at Madeline before returning to the waiting area. When he next returned he was accompanied by Doctor Bradford and a member of the Armitage City Police.


‘Madeline, this is Sergeant Thomas,’ said the doctor, indicating the middle-aged police officer standing behind her. ‘He’s here to take a statement from you.’


‘Hi,’ said the sergeant as he entered the curtained area. ‘Mind if I sit down?’


‘No, go ahead,’ said Madeline.


‘Thanks.’ He took of his hat and laid it on the bedside table. Then, sitting down in the chair next to the bed he took out a notebook and pen.


‘I shall go and wait in the lobby for when your friends arrive,’ said Professor Mason.


‘Okay, thank you,’ said Madeline.


‘He a relative of yours?’ asked the sergeant after Professor Mason had gone.


‘No he’s my History Professor; he brought me and Mike here.’


‘I wish I had professors like that when I was at college,’ said the sergeant with a smile.

‘Anyway, about tonight, tell me everything you can.’ Madeline recounted the evening’s events as best she could, the sergeant asking questions and taking notes along the way, and when she had finished he clicked his pen and smiled again.


‘Okay, I think that about does it for now.’ He stood up and took his hat off of the table. ‘If you think of anything else you call me, okay?’ He fished a small white card out of his jacket pocket and handed it to Madeline.


‘Okay, thanks,’ said Madeline.


‘I’ll go and have a word with that Professor of yours. You take care now.’ The sergeant doffed his cap and pulled back the curtain, where Madeline could see Ben and Abby making their way over to her.


‘Oh Maddie thank God you’re alright!’ gushed Abby as she flung her arms around Madeline and hugged her tightly.


‘Whoa easy there,’ said Ben. ‘Maddie might be hurt.’


‘I’m fine, but thanks for coming,’ said Madeline, as Abby disentangled herself.


‘What happened?’ asked Abby. ‘Is Mike okay? And why is your Professor here?’


‘I’ll leave you to it,’ said Sergeant Thomas, smiling. He stepped out into the main corridor and made his way back to the lobby, where Professor Mason was waiting. ‘Thanks for sticking around,’ he said as he approached the professor.


‘Not at all.’


‘Madeline tells me you’re her History Professor,’ said the sergeant.


‘Yes, she’s a bright young woman, such a shame about what happened.’


‘Did you witness it?’


‘No but I saw Miss Jameson at Jack’s Coffeehouse earlier in the evening.


‘The little place on Gordon Street?’ asked the sergeant.


‘That’s it,’ nodded the professor. ‘I know the proprietor and stop by there every now and then.’


‘And you spoke with Miss Jameson while you were there?’


‘Briefly, yes.’


‘Did you leave with her?’ asked the sergeant, as he wrote down some quick notes.


‘No, she left with the young man who is down the hall.’


‘Mike Newman, right. Madeline said you saved her from her attacker although she couldn’t confirm it, said she couldn’t think straight. Did you get a good look at him?’


‘I’m afraid I never saw him,’ said the professor untruthfully. ‘I was on my way home and heard a noise coming from the alley, it sounded like someone was in trouble, but when I went to investigate the ruffian had already made his escape.’


‘You didn’t see anyone?’


‘I’m afraid not,’ the professor lied.


‘Okay well here’s my card. If you remember anything else call me.’


‘I shall do just that,’ said Professor Mason, taking the card from the sergeant and slipping it inside his jacket pocket.


‘Well goodnight, sir.’


‘Goodnight officer.’ Mason smiled at the sergeant as he left the hospital but as soon as the police officer was gone his expression hardened. He took out his phone and dialled a number.


‘Yes sir?’ said Andreas.


‘The police have nothing,’ said the professor. ‘Continue as instructed.’


‘Yes sir.’ As Professor Mason left the hospital Madeline was explaining to Ben and Abby what had happened earlier that night.


‘And then he brought us here,’ she said, finishing her explanation.


‘Good thing he was nearby,’ said Ben.


‘But you’re okay?’ asked Abby.


‘Yes I’m fine, just a little shaken.’ As they were talking, Doctor Bradford pulled back the curtain and approached the bed.


‘You seem fine,’ she said. ‘You can go home when you’re ready.’


‘What about Mike?’ asked Madeline. ‘Is he going to be okay?’


‘We’re going to keep him in overnight for observation but he should be fine. I assume you guys will take Madeline home?’


‘Yeah sure,’ nodded Ben. ‘Just as soon as…’


Shhh!’ hissed Abby, as she kicked Ben in the shins. ‘She doesn’t know yet.’


‘Know what?’ asked Madeline.


‘Sorry,’ said Ben, as he leant down to rub his shins.


Know what?’ repeated Madeline a little louder.


‘Promise not to be mad,’ said Abby.


‘Why? What’s going on?’


‘Well, the thing is,’ began Abby, as she avoided Madeline’s patient stare. ‘When we heard you’d been attacked we…kind of called Chris.’


‘You did what?



© 2014 Richard James Timothy Kirk


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on October 7, 2014
Last Updated on October 7, 2014


Author

Richard James Timothy Kirk
Richard James Timothy Kirk

United Kingdom



About
Well, what can I say, really? I enjoy writing and I like having the opportunity of posting my stuff online for others to read. I write short stories, fan-fiction and poetry, and have been doing so s.. more..

Writing