Clockwise Turn

Clockwise Turn

A Story by Enigma
"

HEY YOU. Please ignore any mistakes I've made to far. I was EXTREMELY tired -sounds like an excuse- when I wrote this. otherwise tell me what you think.... I like the story so far and I hope you do to

"

 

I grunted heavily letting my hands slide along the cool solid foundation of the rocks, feeling a soft chill of the winter air, listening to it ruffle the trees. I pressed the tips of my fingers against the damp surface, slowly hopping forwards as I crouched along the river bank. I stared at the star-gleamed water as it rushed quickly down the mountain.

      “You ready?” They ask. I nodded slowly, not wanting to remove my gaze from the water. It seemed to grow brighter and brighter as I stared. I slowly leaned forwards, placing my other hand on the ground want waited. I waited for the soft, near silent ticking noise I had been told about. I prayed I’d hear it, having missed it in the past. Focusing completely on the water I suddenly heard it. The quiet tick-tock the clock made. Without hesitation I plunged into the water, quickly feeling the effects of the rushing water on my skin. I threw my head above the water and gasped heavily, trying to focus. Having the sound drowned from my brain I started gasping, slowly getting swallowed up by the water.

      “You have failed us yet again Prattle… You know what comes next…” They whispered as my mind slowly slipped.

      I listened to the faint sounds of men and women around me, each tone and noise louder than it was before. I groaned throwing my arms around my chest. I felt a sharp scorching pain spread up and down my torso as I rested sprawled across a thick table of water. I soon realized what was going on and threw my eyes open, frantically waving my arms above my head. I gasped, breaking the rushing water’s surface of the water. I felt my feet scrap against the bottom of the river and I threw myself under the water in reaction, using the rest of my force to lung towards the bank. I kicked hard against the water, soon grabbing hold of a near rock. I coughed, climbing into the ground. I rolled onto my stomach and gagged several times, my lunges filled with water.

      “Hmm... You-“I quickly looked around, as the voices stopped. I started to give off the faintest grin as I went towards my pocket with shaky hands. I slowly gripped a small watch in my hands, listening to the soft tick-tock. I sighed filled with rage, throwing it into the rover. I dropped onto the grass as the cold air swirled around me. I closed my eyes and grumbled, feeling pain swell throughout my body.

      “Well, Well…. Someone has a secret talent for hidden movements…” They said with a series of chuckles. I stared at the stars as I soon heard scared voices of several friends of mine. I smiled with a weary gaze, spreading my arms out. I hadn’t lost this time, but I knew it was only the beginning. “Stay with us Pratt! You stupid a*s! Come on!” they said as I felt one of them press their hands against my chest. I was perfectly fine, still drenched in a state of shock.

      “We shall see what full extent of your abilities tomorrow… Don’t get comfortable yet Dear Prattle… For you just might die…” They chuckled. I closed my eyes feeling a soft feeling of comfort. I was safe for the remainder of the night. That’s all that mattered.

      I woke up on a soft mattress, neatly placed on the ground in the middle of a surprisingly large tent. I sat u slowly feeling the affect’s of the actions of yesterday throughout my body. I coughed looking at my bandaged arm and ankle. I shook my head hearing a series of loud chanting and speaking from outside. Already knowing what was going on I quickly scrambled to my feet and headed out into the open field.

      My gaze was met with at least 60 other people, each one staring through me with different levels of curiosity and intensity. Slowly letting my expression churn into a demanding scowl I headed towards the middle of the crowed, roughly shoving past a select series of people. I gave the lead gentlemen a wild glare, shoving several of his followers against the ground to make my way through.

      “Good Morning Prattle!” he said giving me a kind gesture to stand next to him. I calmly nodded and took a place not far behind him. “Everyone, as you may know, Prattle is the man who’s been roaming around these parts… No one knows why but he is happy to help him either way. He is from the Northern section of here, leading a wide variety of other men, women and even children. I am happy to say he could potentially-“Cutting him short I threw my fist neatly into his nose, crouching lowering with a short arch of my back and gripping his neck with ease. I felt my mind start to slip as I threw him off his stand, listening to the silent thud his body made when it made contact with the soft dirt.

      The crow of people gasped hesitantly staring down at the man I had known as Johnson. He soon started curing, gripping the back of his head tightly flashing the group of people a stern glare. “Well, I wasn’t expecting-““Shut up. Where the hell am I… No, don’t answer that.” I said quickly turning towards a series of backs that where resting under a tree. I jogged over to them, dropping to my knee. I opened them quickly searching for anything that could at least give me a clue. Finding nothing I quickly grabbed two of the bags, slinging one over my shoulder. I gripped the other rightly in my hand and dashed over to Johnson, thrusting my foot into his stomach. He coughed hard reaching for my foot but I pulled away.

      “Don’t try to catch me…. So help me I will kill you…” I whispered just enough for the people close enough to listen. They stepped back suddenly as I turned, disappearing into the unknown woods once again. I continued my run until I made it to a large river, soon leaping over the rocks. I stopped to quench my hard thirst and scanned the environment, starting to notice small details. The river was calmer then the one in the Broken North but the air was crisper. The sun was mostly covered by clouds, letting smooth warm rays shine against everything without the cooling shade of a tree. It was nothing like I had seen but It was easy enough to get around. Although, Johnsons land was mostly clay, not able to do anything with the soft, soil that basically fell apart to the touch. It was simply dust in the making. I grabbed a canteen and filled it with water before continued my journey.

      “You’re questioning yourself. Don’t let the land get to you… You’ll know it all too well soon enough. If you took the time to listen… You still have the watch don’t you?” I paused, throwing my hands into my pockets. I frantically searched but found nothing; not even the faint ticking was around anymore. “S**t…” I mumbled starting to slow into a walk.  “Well… Don’t worry... Once you get back you can explain to Lord what happened… Maybe He’ll forgive you. After all, you are the only one allowed on this land. Besides, Johnson isn’t going to give in that easily… he’s too much of a soft hearted fool!” They chuckled breaking into whispers. “Yeah… Lord… The man who almost got everyone killed during the Hardships…” I snapped starting to jog over a series of small hills, making it to high grounds.

      I scowled as they went silent, soon making my way to familiar terrains I grinned, breaking into a run. I leaped over broken branches and twisted through small series of tree and bushes to make it over the security surroundings. I was happy to know I had picked a suitable place for the campground. The most modern of camps of that… After the separation meetings began I grabbed everything I could, robbing stores and small shops, throwing anything that would be useful into my basement until further notice.

      Muttering to myself I glanced around until I soon noticed I was farther than I anticipated. Johnsons camp wasn’t too far away from mine but I had been going the wrong direction the whole time. “Why didn’t you tell me I was going the wrong way?” “Because, it wasn’t our problem… The Lord is still here so we don’t need you just yet… But If-“I muttered ripping the small microphone from my ear canal. I was sick of hearing them judge my every move. I was more important then I seemed, they just didn’t know it yet. They can go shove it… I’m the one who gave them all a place to stay… I sighed and continued walking through the thick thorns and bushes, trying to get a clue about where I was. Before I was able to react I was tackled swiftly into the dirt. My head it hard against the ground as I looked up to face my attacker. Without hesitation I swung my legs around them, forcing them onto their back, rolling onto of them.

I glared heavily pressing my fingers into their neck. Watching them pull away I took the advantage and threw myself towards them, toppling over as we struck a near rock. I pulled away, dragging myself backwards as we stared at each other. It was Johnson of course. I scowled and brushed off my pants, slowly making it to my feet.

“What do you want?” I snapped grabbing my bags. He pointed at them and sighed halfway out of breath. I shrugged and looked around. “They’re mine now. Don’t like it, fight me for them.” I snarled. He stepped away slightly as I started to walk down a near path.

“You’re going the wrong way… if you wanna head north turn around.” He chuckled, crossing his arms. “You don’t stand a chance without me. Might as well let me come with you… I don’t need to stick around with my gang… they know what going on. Otherwise I’ll let you get lost… and starve.” He grinned. Before he would reply again I nodded in agreement. He gave me a puzzled look before grabbing several of the bags, throwing them over his shoulder.

Perfect Prattle, might as well bring him to us… We can deal with him at Camp… Beside me must know something about the other Factions and how they’re holding up.

I smirked and looked at Johnson who was leading the way. He was more dangerous that he was showing me, I knew him better than that.

      “So, is it cold this time of year up north? I’ve never really been up there… Southern my whole life…” he mumbled. I clenched my teeth, knowing this was going to be an eventful trip.

      “Yes, its chilly up north… nothing to serious though.. We’ll be preparing for the winter once I get back.”

      “Oh… where are you gonna get the attire? Are you going to make it by any chance…?” He chuckled. I grunted as I scrambled to climb over a massive rock, dragging my things along with me. Johnson was already on the other side when I was atop.

      “We’re going to hunt for it, use the old things and by any chance make it, yes.” I grunted. He sighed shaking his head.

      “You are ignorant to this land… Well get use to it ‘cause it’ll take about a day or two to cross over the border… Not to mention getting past central… Unless we go by river of course.” He heaved. I scowled sliding down the rock.

      “Whatever. I’ll deal with it…” I snapped. This trip would give me a chance to get use to the land. Stay alert Prattle… Central isn’t very nice… You know they want our land…

      “I understand that… I’ll be careful… tell everyone to stay alert until my return… You don’t know what can happen.” I murmured, watching Johnson from behind.  

© 2011 Enigma


Author's Note

Enigma
It’s about North America being separated into Factions,-North, South, East, West, Central and subdued- with sub factions within. Prattle happens to be a leader of 7/9 Northern Factions. The separated happened due to worldwide war or WWIII only it was more intense. The outcome of this war was caused by wild scale bombing which in turn, ruined almost everything. Leaving people to be strated in what’s left of their towns and the wilderness. Having to compete for survival Prattle and a large group of people are working to end this era, knowing the world is capable of it with the right guidance. Some don’t want to go back, liking the science-fiction world while others are willing to do whatever it takes. Johnson, Prattles brother is on the opposite side of the battle as he is… and then it goes from there. I'd like if you'd give me any reviews on how I'm doing so far.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's kind of confusing. Like, who are "they" and what does the clock have to do with anything? And...you've misspelled some things. Such as "rover" and "u". It's got all the makings of a good story but you may want to take a second glance at the words you're using and some of the punctuation. But, nice job :3

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It's kind of confusing. Like, who are "they" and what does the clock have to do with anything? And...you've misspelled some things. Such as "rover" and "u". It's got all the makings of a good story but you may want to take a second glance at the words you're using and some of the punctuation. But, nice job :3

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

344 Views
1 Review
Added on August 29, 2011
Last Updated on September 12, 2011
Tags: Science, Fiction, War, Romance, Conflicts, Murder, Death, Secrets, Dark, World, III, Betrayal, love

Author

Enigma
Enigma

SC



About
I was never meant to be, so why am I still here? more..

Writing
Tea Tea

A Poem by Enigma


Locked Locked

A Poem by Enigma