Chapter 2: Departure

Chapter 2: Departure

A Chapter by Starcaller
"

They take off for their long journey and Astrid remembers the worst and best day of her life ten years ago.

"

I sit aboard the science vessel, looking out into the sea of faces unsure of what to make of it all. I spot the matron in the crowd covered in a veil of thin silk and as I catch her eyes she catches mine and almost as if it where her voice I hear the words “help me”. I try to peer closer into her veil but all I can see is her saddened expression upon her beautiful porcelain skin.

 

I force myself to look away…to look at the other ships being loaded up. I watch as Zula marks off each member of her division as they try to load in rapidly and J.J standing behind her practically falling asleep. I watch as the engineer’s load up and Adonis’ failed attempts at flirting with Emi. Kelly walks onto the observation deck “Alright we are loaded up and ready for take off. Just give me the go ahead and I’ll have Ari get us out of here.” “Sure…whatever you want.” I say somewhat detached and not bothering to turn away from the window. I hear the engines loud roar and watch as the energy builds in the plasma wings on both sides of the ship.

 

“Kelly…you got everything handled up here?” He turns to me “Yeah…sure.” I give him a weak smile and head back to my quarters. I open one of the bags in my room and start unpacking the clothes, medals, and the picture of my parents setting them all neatly on separate shelves in the closet. I lie down on the mattress and look intently at my parents picture a single tear falling as I let sleep overcome my exhausted mind.

 

Ten years ago…

 

“Happy eighth Birthday sweet heart.” My mom whispers into my ear. I smile and look into her sad emerald eyes. “Mommy what is wrong” “Oh nothing honey…your just getting so big.” I sit up and hug her around the waist. “Well, shall we go to the upper deck and see if we can find you something to eat.” I smile and nod at her. She takes my hand and after helping me zip up my party dress we go to the upper deck.

 

“There she is!” My father yells out excitedly pulling me into a hug. “I’m glad you and mommy took me on this cruise with you.” I whisper into his ear. He smiles “don’t worry about it Astrid I didn’t want to miss one more of your birthdays.” He says giving me a big smile. The storm though…the storm.

 

I look up at the skies puffy white clouds tracing their outlines with my eye smiling brightly at the Sun’s heat and warmth. I absorb the cool breeze and mist enjoying the sound of the rushing water. “There you are.” I turn around “Hello…do I know you.” The boy looks shyly at me “Well your parents asked me to get you for them” He says nervously. “Your parents and my dad are good friends.” I smile at him “Okay let’s go!” I shout as I grab his hand and head towards my parents. J.J?

 

“Hi sweet heart we forgot your present at home so I would like you to pick a souvenir out of these.” She says pointing at the model boats and assortment of glass animals and shapes. I jump up and down excitedly looking into the window “Can I have that one!” I shout as I point to the heart shaped box covered in little dolphins. My mom smiles widely at me “of course” She pays for it and hands me the box. I open it up and tears fill my eyes as beautiful music plays. I run up to my mom and dad “Thank you so much.” “Your welcome.” my dad says patting me on the head.

 

Later in the day the fluffy white clouds turn grey and it starts raining lightly on the deck. I walk to the rail on the side of the boat looking into the sea. The sky darkens and I realize how cold I am. I start walking towards the rooms when I hear a large Boom! A bomb? I fall onto the cold hard ground and the metal starts making a horrible creaking and moaning sound. I stand back up trying to keep my balance when people start rushing for the lifeboats.

 

“Mom…Dad.” I call without an answer the boat suddenly starts tilting upwards and I start slipping backwards. I grab onto the railing and soon I cannot feel the ground beneath my feet. I let go and hit a hard sheet of metal I don’t remember that being there.  People are screaming out and I cover my ears no more…no more. I look up and see the ocean and I try to breathe but I can’t and try to swim up. I drop my heart shaped box trying to swim but keep sinking. I can’t move, can’t breathe, I can hardly think my mind starts going blank and my eyes start closing no…what about mommy…what about daddy. I kick my legs but continue to fall and then I stop and I close my eyes and I cannot breathe…and I thought I died.

 

Then I open my eyes screaming as a dark figure drags me to land…a monster but it hits me and blood spills onto the sand and then I close my eyes. I open them and my aunt is standing over me and I am resting in a hospital bed. “Where is my mommy?” she turns away from me “Where is my daddy?” She remains silent and my eyes fill with tears and I never saw them again…

 

I wake up shaking, my eyes filled with tears, “happy tenth anniversary” I whisper into my pillow letting my tears fall freely.

 

Outside her door, Kelly reaches to knock on her door with a card and small package in his hand but stops himself remembering who her parents where and what today was for her. He leaves the items at her door and walks away slowly.



© 2012 Starcaller


Author's Note

Starcaller
Sorry bout the slow start anyway suggestions welcome :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on February 7, 2012
Last Updated on February 7, 2012


Author

Starcaller
Starcaller

Moreno Valley, CA



About
Hello everyone, I've been away for an incredibly long time (like what a year and a half or two, yikes). I've actually wanted to get back on here for awhile now. I'm going to do my best to catch up on .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Starcaller


Character's Character's

A Chapter by Starcaller