Heading Towards The Crossroads

Heading Towards The Crossroads

A Story by Willys Watson

Heading Towards The Crossroads

On a mild Sunday afternoon Joyce and her older brother Jack sat on the front porch of their parent’s house. Jack stared at her a moment, then smiled.

“Joyce, I want you be honest about our parent’s house. You really don’t mind that we agreed to sell the house?” he asked.

“Not really. We saved all the keepsakes. And all the photographs of us growing up here, family vacations, our relatives, our high school graduations, prom nights, and even our first dates. Mom and Dad seemed like they took photographs of everything.”

“Okay, and the realtor will likely have it listed for sale by the middle of the week. But I’m wondering if you still intend to go on your extended road trip?

“Of course I do. Both my daughters are in college and Bob is no longer in my life and I won’t let him back in my life.”

“He wasn’t much of a husband, was he?”

“No, and I don’t want to talk about or think about him now.”

“I certainly understand why. So, Joyce, any idea where you will be heading on your road trip?”

“I haven’t really thought about it, but it will be to places I’ve never been before, like small towns where I can stop and talk to strangers and listen to whatever they want to tell me.”

“In a way, that’s kind of ironic, Joyce, because I remember when I was maybe twelve and you were maybe ten and we were riding with our folks to visit Uncle Charles at the military base in New Mexico he was stationed at, and we were driving through Brownwood and noticed a farm road sign that said May, Texas.”

“I do, too, and I asked our folks if we could visit it. But Dad said it was likely a small village surrounded by farms and we didn’t have time to play tourists now. And I always wondered what life in that little town was like.”

“So, your idea is to take the time to explore the crossroads travelers seldom take?”

“That’s a big part of it and I will take my time to explore places I haven’t been before. But, in a way, it’s also a metaphor because the time will allow me to think a lot about many things, including mentally exploring what I want to do with the rest of my life.”

“That last part, about the rest of your life, I understand well. Momma once told me life was like being on a road and you gotta decide if you’re going left, right or forward.  I would add to that or just sitting still or trying to go backwards. Those choises are like crossroads, I suppose. But don’t forget to stay in tough with us and let us know how it’s going.”

“Of course, big brother. You and Beth and your kids and my two funny, silly and intelligent daughters. And in a small town, before it starts getting dark I’ll check into a motel and make calls.” 

“That’s fine and I assume you’ll be driving your Jeep, Joyce?”

“Of course. My two door Jeep is only a year old and it’s the 4WD version. And I’m hoping to start out in the morning right after breakfast.”

“So, from Fort Worth in which way will you be heading?”

“West, because there will likely be many smaller towns and many crossroads to explore.”

“In a way I wish I were going with you, but I know this is your road trip.”

“Yes, my road trip, but I will share with you all of the photographs I take I’m sure you will find interesting, and with my wonderful daughters, too.”

© 2024 Willys Watson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on January 7, 2024
Last Updated on January 9, 2024
Tags: Road Trip, Family, Future, Past

Author

Willys Watson
Willys Watson

Los Angeles, CA



About
Writer, Artist, Scalawag. more..

Writing