Fate And The Three Dollar Bills

Fate And The Three Dollar Bills

A Story by Willys Watson

Fate And The Three Dollar Bills

1.

Ruth was one of six nurses working at a small medical clinic in the Valley and she loved her job and helping patients feel better. Still, during the day it rained and the rain left puddles in the back parking lot. This normally wouldn’t be a problem to her, but her boss asked her to take some files home to check for billing mistakes and insurance coverage mistakes. This wasn’t unusual because she was the head nurse with the most experience at the clinic and he trusted her. Her shift work ended at 4:00PM and she sat all three cardboard boxes, holding the files, safely under the canopy above the back door. 

While thinking about how to get the boxes safely to her car without slipping in the puddles, Ruth noticed some folded, damp money laying close to the sidewalk. Then she noticed a man across the street sitting under a tarp on the grass, placed under a large three that provided him some added shelter. Thinking the money might be his, Ruth walked across the street to talk to him.

“I’m wondering, by chance, if you might have dropped these three one dollar  bills?” she asked him as she showed him the money.

“Those ain’t mine Lady. I may be a wino, but I’ve never taken anything that wasn’t mine.”

“Thank you for your honesty. But I’m wondering if you would work for me for perhaps a half hour? If so, I will pay you.”

“Doing what? And how much?”

“Under that canopy at the back door of the clinic, I have three mid-sized cardboard boxes I need to take to my car, the blue one on the back of the parking lot where that wall is. And because of the puddles I might slip and fall carrying the boxes to my car. So, do you think you can carefully carry them, one at a time, to my car without slipping? 

“Lady, I’ve been walking through puddles for years and haven’t slipped yet.”

“Okay, I’ll trust you.”

“Okay, Lady, I’ll do it, But for how much money?

“If you don’t slip and fall or get any of the boxes wet, I’ll pay you ten dollars in cash. But wait until I have the back seat door open.”

After the back seat door was open, she watched him carefully, slowly carrying one box at a time to her car. After the last one was in the back seat and the door was closed she paid him the money and watched as he put it in his coat pocket. Then he smiled at her a moment.

“Thank you for the money I earned, Lady, but I bet you’re wondering how a wino could do this?”

“I’m not an expert, but I do think different types of alcohol has different effects on different people.”

“That, plus the fact I just woke up from a nice dream and didn’t have a hangover. And thanks for the needed money, Lady, but I’m wondering why you didn’t try to reform me or preach to me?”

“I wouldn’t try to reform you. If you feel you need reformed you’ll have to start the process yourself. I know because my mother had a drinking problem for years, too. But I think you’ve got a good mind and later, when it’s not raining and you’re still sheltering under that three, perhaps during my lunch break we could talk awhile/”

“I might just do that, Lady, and thanks again for the needed money.”

2.

When Ruth arrived at work on Monday and parked her car in her space at the back of the medical clinic parking, then headed to the back to of the clinic she was happy to see the man still sitting across the street under his tarp tent. She waved at him and he waved back. At the lunch break she quickly heated a microwave dinner and carried it across to give him, then she sat on the grass near his tent.

“This, plus what I paid you on Friday to help me carry those boxes to the back door, is for you. And my name is Ruth.”

“Thank you, Ruth, and I’ll save this for later because I figured we could talk awhile.”

“Of course, and about whatever you want to talk about.”

“Okay, Ruth, and my name is Henry. But, based on our last conversation, I think I should clarify several things, it that’s okay with you?”

“Of course.”

“I don’t like stereotyping people. Not all homeless people are drug addicts or alcoholics. And some don’t have mental health problems. Many just made bad choices and had a lot of bad breaks in life. Sometimes the stress and pressure could push them towards a breaking point.”

I can understand that And although it really isn’t any of my business, I’m wondering if something like this happened to you? You don’t have to tell me, of course, Henry.”

“Maybe, but first I’m wondering it you’re wondering how I could use the word stereotyping in the right context?”


“Not really, because I’ve already perceived you to be an educated man.”

“I received my degree about ten yours ago. But you’re right about some people living on the street who become near the breaking point. It’s like some weird Karma wanting to see how far it can push you to test your limits.”

“Like losing a loved one suddenly?”

“Or two or three?”

“Yes, that can happen, but I’m wondering what you did for a living before you ended up by sheltering on the street?”

“I worked for the fire department and loved my job, even more when we saved lives. But then  sometimes life can push you to the point where drinking too much helps ease the pain and getting drunk helps a lot. But I haven’t had a drop of wine after our first conversation. And I’m pretty sure I won’t drink again.”

“That’s wonderful, Henry.”

“In a way you helped when you said, as a nurse, you could help people feel better, so can I tell you how I ended up without you pitying me?”

“I won’t pity you, Henry.”

“Well, I told you I worked for the fire department and our station was on the other side of the Valley and we never received a call to respond to the fire when our house caught on fire in Van Nuys. During the fire, a gas explosion engulfed the house in flames quickly, I lost my wife and daughter and son. After that happened I quit working for the fire department and just drifted around for a few years wondering what to do without my family and our home to live in. And why it happened to good people like them? And there were so many other questions I was trying to find the answers to. Some I did. Some I may never find the answer to.

“Wow! I don’t what to say, but I know it must have been difficult for you for quite awhile.”

“Of course it was. But when I started living on the street I started paying very close attention to everything and everyone, from other homeless people to people who managed to have some type of fulfilling life and studying them closely. And I think I’m ready to find a job now.”

“That’s certainly a positive sign, but do you have an idea what type of job?”

“Because I’m pretty sure I’ll never drink again, I would like to work for some kind of city program that works to feed the homeless and finds them temporary housing.”

“Henry, there are two people, a Doctor and a Nurse, working in our clinic, who have direct connection would can help you get that job.”

“I thank you for that Ruth, but in case you think I’m that poor, I never closed my savings account and there is likely around twelve hundred dollars in it. And my brother Larry said he would help me and I could stay with him when I finally figured out I was really ready to make the effort to .help myself.”

“That sounds great, Henry, but about your saving account, do you still have a way to access it?”

“My brother Larry has kept all my private paperwork and personal photographs that weren’t burned up in the fire, all these years for me until I was ready to start over.”

“Okay, after I get off work I’ll drive you to his house, but I really think we need to get you a cell phone as soon as possible.”

“I actually have a cell phone, but the battery ran down years ago because I lost the charger.”

“Okay, we’ll stop by the local phone store and get you another charger before we head to your brother’s house. But what about getting you newer clothes to wear?”

“Unless he’s put on a lot of weight, Some of my brother’s clothes should fit. And there is always a Goodwill store around.”

“Okay, try to eat some on the food I brought you and I’ll be here again when my shift is over at 5:00 PM.” 

© 2024 Willys Watson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
Added on January 12, 2024
Last Updated on January 12, 2024

Author

Willys Watson
Willys Watson

Los Angeles, CA



About
Writer, Artist, Scalawag. more..

Writing