Chapter Two: Prophecies are Utter Bullshit

Chapter Two: Prophecies are Utter Bullshit

A Chapter by Liza

The chants and cheers that followed Mayor Tyvolt’s announcement were so thunderously exuberant, Cass was actually momentarily jealous of Orin’s inability to suffer through it. Elves were clapping, crying, screaming out for joy at the prospect of the prophecy finally being fulfilled- and being fulfilled by a member of their own community, nonetheless! Cass understood perfectly why everyone was so thrilled; the Magic withdrawal had been such a devastation, and all anyone wanted was for the hero to finally be chosen and get rid of Aldebar once and for all.


However, there were only two beings in the entire village who did not celebrate, weep for joy, or even so much as crack a smile at this incredible  announcement: Orin and Cassia, who were both burdened with the knowledge of just who Vala Coshrew was.


  “She’s kidding. She has to be kidding. This is a joke, right?” Cass asked Orin, scowling so hard she looked like she might burst a vein. “Him? He’s the hero who’ll save us all? Out of every single damn being in this world, the Gods choose Vala?


  “We haven’t seen him since this Sol’s tomato harvest. Maybe he's changed?” Orin suggested, though his facial expression looked doubtful.


  “Right, yeah. Vala changed his entire shtick within three Lunars. I’ll believe it when I see it.” Cass scoffed, folding her arms in abject irritation. Her unfortunate wish was about to come true, it seemed, as Mayor Tyvolt stepped to the side and was immediately joined on the platform by Vala himself, who was all-smiles.


Even through her biases of hatred, Cass couldn’t deny that the guy was exactly what you’d pictured as a hero. As if being tall, strong, and- from an objective standpoint- handsome wasn’t enough of an advantage, but Vala had the charisma to charm an entire army fleet. He could basically get anyone to do anything he wanted with barely any convincing. He had the “golden tongue,” Cass’ mother often remarked. 


He was the village golden boy, that was for sure. He was the grandson of one of the wealthiest and most respected elders in town, so apart from being raised on privilege, you could usually find Vala rescuing kittens out of trees or charming every girl in town. Everyone just couldn’t get enough of him. Almost everyone.


Cass and Orin, as a matter of strange fact, used to be close friends with Vala many, many Sols ago. Back when they were all just kids; when they could just play pretend all day and not have to worry or care about anything except the weather. As they got older, though, their personalities and ideas began to change. And boy, did they change…
Even in a village made entirely of farmers, there was still a hierarchy of importance. And according to Vala’s bloodline, Cass was way at the bottom. Thanks to the influence of his “esteemed” family, Vala fell victim to the curse of believing he was far too important to rub elbows with the pee-ons, and eventually pushed her and Orin away.


Though the initial betrayal stung, Cass never had to deal with him as much these days. Vala was one of the field guards, so he was out of town enough that Cass could ignore his existence for most of the time. But now here he was, standing before her and basking in the glory of the entire town.


  “My Elven brothers and sisters!” He cried, the light perfectly reflecting in his emerald eyes. “I know you all know who I am. Vala Coshrew, grandson of the great Bauldr Coshrew. A simple man who has spent my entire life trying to give back to the incredible community who made me into who I am today. For the few Sols that I’ve walked on this great world, I have wept that I would never get the chance to fully pay back the kindness all of you wonderful beings have shown me. But today… today the Gods have granted me the chance. They have granted me the boon to bring honor and pride to our great town for generations to come!”


This sentiment was met by a loud cheer of approval. Orin mimicked himself puking, and Cass hid a laugh.


  “Never in a million Sols would I have thought that I would be the one to reclaim Magic for our great world. But I would accept no greater honor than the one bestowed upon me by the Gods. I promise you, my friends and family, that I will succeed. I will slay the vile Aldebar and bring Magic back to all of Aven. I promise you on everything my name stands for, as the hero of prophecy, I will win!”


His voice elevated to a shout at the final words, and was met by an even bigger uproar of cheers than the first. Vala beamed widely at this response and rolled up the sleeve of his left arm to show to the crowd. Though it was a bit hard to see from where she was standing, Cass could just make out a black mark on his shoulder, almost like a tattoo: an interwoven two-headed serpent with wings. The mark of the Gods. 


A way to show to every single creature within Aven’s bounds that Vala was, without a shadow of a doubt, the hero of the prophecy. The chosen one.

As if on command, the crowd of townspeople surged forwards towards the stage, chanting Vala’s name. Taking this as her cue to probably get out of there, Cass grabbed hold of Orin’s wrist and led him out of the fray, dodging Elves left and right as they stampeded to Vala and Tyvolt.


The two just barely forced their way deeper into town where there were less beings, nearly getting trampled in the process. Cass practically dragged Orin towards the far South-end of town where the Academy was located. Even at a completely opposite area of town, Cass could still hear the distant chants of that rat’s name towards the Skye. It made her sick to her stomach… Before she had any time to sulk, Orin tapped her on her hand.


  “Are you okay?”


  “No, not really,” Cass grumbled, trying to avoid looking directly at Orin’s face. “This is ridiculous. I just… I just don’t understand! Vala’s nothing but a brutish, arrogant piece of work who’s had everything handed to him on a silver platter. Aren’t the Gods supposed to pick a hero of valor and honor? Vala’s strong, sure, but you have more valor in your left nostril then he has in his whole body!” Cass ranted, gritting her teeth. Orin patted her on the shoulder, looking sympathetic.


  “I know it’s not fair. But we aren’t the Gods. Clearly they chose him for a reason, a reason way beyond our understanding. Maybe in the end, Vala will end up being the right choice.”


  “Maybe, but still doesn’t mean I have to like it.” Cass mumbled, then sighed heavily. “Damn. I was having a pretty good day before now.”


  “Tell you what. Let’s go drop off your report, and then we can go sit up under the Blood Tree for a while. Would that make you happy?”


  “...Yeah…” Orin did always know how to make her feel better. It was honestly impressive how much he understood her thoughts and feelings. Well, when you’ve known someone for as long as they had, you start picking up on those little things.


Cass swiftly dropped off her report inside the Academy, making sure to avoid any small talk with Professor Fleck- that woman could talk about the least interesting topics for hours- and rejoined Orin outside the ancient cobblestone building. There, he took hold of her hand and gleefully led her past the gaps in the nearby houses and into the natural plains their town was built on top of. Although Cass knew her way to the Blood Tree more than Orin probably did, she allowed him to lead.


To outsiders, the name probably evoked images of something sinister or even evil; in actuality, the Blood Tree was anything but. It was, at least speculated to be, one of the oldest trees in the entire country. A massive black-and-white speckled trunk overlooking a very small hill just on the outskirts of town; climbing to the top of the tree allowed you to see the entire valley. It was named for the staggering scarlet leaves it developed a few weeks just before the cold season. Cass loved that tree more than anything. Orin and her spent many a lazy afternoon just sitting under those hanging branches, thinking about their lives and basking in the sunlight.


And today, though the tree lacked its gorgeous red leaves, approaching it still filled Cass’ heart with childlike joy. With Orin still leading the charge, the two of them walked up the short grassy mount until they reached the somewhat flattened point where the tree grew. It was already past Second High, so the entire area was blanketed  in cool shadow.


From where they stood, they could make out the tops of the entire town, pointing out familiar buildings and areas from above. They also had a breathtaking view of the mountains, their sturdy structures illuminated by the presences of the Twin Suns dipping down into the horizon. Already, Cass could feel her stress and anger melting away by the sights. This never got old.


Orin and Cass sat underneath the Blood Tree for about an hour, discussing back and forth any and all topics that happened to come to mind. They were in the middle of bantering about Orin’s Wizard test being postponed when a distant voice began to call. A distant, familiar voice that Cass thought she would never have to hear again.


  “Orin! Orin, Cassia! There you two are!” Vala Coshrew, in all his beaming glory, was trudging up the hill. “I looked all over town for you. I thought you guys would be here.”


  “You have got to be kidding me…” Cass barely had time to mumble under her breath before Vala was upon them. He seemed a tad jostled and out of breath, but apart from that he looked like he had just won the lottery. Well, technically, he kind of did.


  “Hey, Vala… Haven’t seen you around lately.” Cass tried to make herself sound at least somewhat enthused. 


  “Yeah, I know. I’ve just been so busy with work lately. Most of the other field guards got sick a few days ago, so I’ve had to take on the job single-handed. It’s pretty difficult having to protect everyone on your own!” He laughed. Cass bit her tongue.


  “I bet, I bet…”


  “So, were you two just in town? Did you hear the announcement?” Vala asked, nearly bursting with excitement. 


  “We did. Congratulations, Vala.” Orin signed, then nudged Cass.


  “Right, yeah. Congratulations.” Cass said monotonously. Luckily, Vala didn’t seem to catch on to Cass’ feigned enthusiasm.


  “Isn’t it so wild? I mean, one day I’m just your average country bumpkin, and now I’m chosen to save the world! It’s incredible. I would’ve never guessed that the prophecy was talking about me this entire time!” Vala laughed, putting his hands on his hips and smiling into space. “Me, a hero… It’s been my dream since I was a kid…” He whispered to himself. Cass, who was starting to get more irritated by the second, couldn’t contain herself any longer.


  “Look, Vala, do you need something?” She asked, snapping the taller Elf back into reality. “You haven’t spoken to either of us in forever. Why are you suddenly showing up and acting like we’re all still friends, especially after all you’ve said and done?” Vala clearly hadn’t been expecting Cass to point out the obvious and frowned. He knelt down onto the grass, rubbing his hands together.


  “I know you’re still upset with me, Cassia, but you must understand. As we grew older, we began to diverge in our wants. We had different ambitions, different ideas of who we wanted to be.” he sighed. “I’m sorry that you feel I’ve wronged you. And as your chosen hero, I hope you can find it within yourself to forgive the past.” Cass’ nose twitched. 


  “So you’re just here to make amends?” Orin signed. Vala blinked at him, slightly puzzled, then sheepishly grinned at Cass.


  “Apologies, but my sign knowledge is just a little bit rusty. Could you translate, please?” 


  “He asked if you’re just here to make amends.” Cass said through gritted teeth. Vala’s eyes brightened ever so slightly.


  “Funny of you to ask that, my dear Orin. As a matter of fact, I have a request of you.” So he did want something from us, Cass thought angrily. “My old friend, you’ve come so far. I will admit, I never imagined that your skills in the Magic arts would grow so drastically in such a short time. You’re two steps from becoming a full-fledged Wizard, for goodness sake!” 


  “Get on with it, Coshrew.” Cass urged. Vala decidedly ignored her comment.


  “As the chosen hero to defeat Aldebar, I’m going to need the best team imaginable. This is a momentous task, and for that I need someone of valor, strength, and skill equal to myself. Orin, would you do me the honor of becoming my trusted companion, and joining me to vanquish Aldebar?” Orin’s eyes widened and Cass’ jaw nearly fell open. 


  “Are you kidding me? After everything you put us through, you’re asking him to be your sidekick?” Cass demanded. Vala lazily moved his gaze onto her.


  “Not a sidekick, Cassia. A trusted companion. A partner, if you will,” he corrected. “I’m not so narrow-minded that I cannot recognize my own flaws. Though I have strength, my Magic is weak, especially due to the circumstances. I believe that if we were to combine our forces, Aldebar wouldn’t stand a chance! Physical, mental, and Magical strength are a force unmatched. So, what do you say, old friend? Will you join me, and proclaim your name to the Skye as the greatest Wizard of our generation?”


There was a pause as Orin stared blankly at Vala, the gears turning in his brain. Cass knew that look- Orin was in deep thought. He was weighing the pros and the cons and having a full debate with himself. Cass’ heart rate began to steadily increase as the seconds of silence passed. Surely Orin wouldn’t actually agree to this… right? Sure, Cass was more adamant about her thoughts, but Orin disliked Vala just as much as she did… Didn’t he? 

As much as Cass didn’t want to even consider it, Vala had a point. Orin was by far the most proficient Magic-user in the entire town, maybe even in all of Novinia. If he joined Vala on this quest, his name would be known all across Aven as a hero. He would finally get the recognition and respect he deserved. Cass wanted that life for him, but was all of that really worth carrying Vala to victory?


Finally, after what felt like an eternity of pondering, Orin began to sign his answer, his expression unreadable.


  “What about Cass?” Cass tilted her head slightly. It seemed that this was a question Vala could mostly understand, as he and Cass stared at Orin with equal bewilderment.


  “‘What about Cass?’” Vala repeated, scoffing a bit. “What do you mean, buddy?”


  “Are you going to ask Cass to come, too?” Vala slowly glanced at Cass, waiting for her to translate.


  “He’s asking if you’re going to ask me to come.” Cass said, her breath getting caught in her throat. Where was Orin going with this? Vala’s face went pale and he uncomfortably moved his gaze away.


  “I… I wasn’t planning on it, no.” Vala mumbled.


  “Why not?” 


  “Well, I… this is a very important quest, Orin, you must understand. The entire fate of the world is set on my shoulders! We cannot afford to bring a liability when the fate of Magic itself is at stake.”


  “A liability?” Cass repeated in disbelief. “Are you being serious right now?” Her voice was rising in her throat.


  “You can’t villainize me for speaking the truth, Cass,” Vala huffed. “Surely you’re not that naive. You’ve never fought in a real battle before and you don’t have any Magic abilities.”


  “First of all, Orin’s never fought in a battle before, either. At least that can be taught,” Cass hissed. “Second, more than half of Aven can barely use Magic anymore, that’s kind of the whole point. And third, I’m by far the most knowledgeable about Aven geography and cultures! So what’s the real reason?” Vala’s upper lip curled ever so slightly, growing irritated by the verbal assault.


  “You want a good reason? Fine. You are the most loud, obnoxious, and stubborn girl I have ever met. Even if I wanted to bring you along, I know as a fact you’d only disobey my orders. Not to mention the obvious, you don’t have any legs! How do you expect to fight a Magic-destroying Demon when you’re being restricted in such a massive way, huh? You’d only make things worse for yourself and everyone else. The world is better off if you just stay here and let us handle this. Sorry, but the weak don’t deserve glory.” Words alone could not express the hatred that was seething out of Cass. Her entire body was shaking with such absolute fury that even Orin looked concerned. 


  “Don’t you dare, don’t you dare sit there and tell me I’m weak for what I lack. I have been put through trial after trial, I have been dragged through mud and scum and you know what I did? I got back up, each and every time. While you-you complain that mommy didn’t cut the crust off your sandwich for you, I spent more than an entire Sol Cycle learning how to walk again. You have never had to go through the kind of hardships that I have. That Orin and I both go through every single day! Believe me, you are not as great as everyone tells you you are.” Cass slowly stood up, her words laced with bitter venom. “You look at me and the only thing you can see is someone who’s below you. But I see a being who is strong, a being who doesn’t give up when things get tough. I am not defined by the things I lack, and what I do lack is evidence that I won’t go down without a fight. So you can take your damn prophecy and shove it, because you’re no hero in my eyes.”


There was a deep, unsettling silence following Cass’ words. Vala’s mouth moved wordlessly, trying to find any form of response. Cass kept her gaze fixated on him, not daring herself to look at Orin. Finally, Vala cleared his throat.


  “I get that you’re upset, Cass, but you need to get it through that thick skull of yours that your abilities are limited, whether you want to admit it or not. Maybe someone told you once that it’s impressive that you figured out how to walk twice in your life,” he scoffed. “But you have to understand that a hero’s quest is no place for a little girl with wooden stilts.”


  “No, you have to understand that you’re being a complete hypocrite! You’re saying I’m a liability because of my disability. Orin’s disabled too, you idiot!” Cass shouted. “You can’t pick and choose between us like show animals. I don’t need protection from someone like you.” Vala swallowed and looked desperately over to Orin.


  “Orin, old friend. Help me out here, would you? Tell her she’s being ridiculous.” He begged. Orin was still for a moment before he began to feverishly sign, his left eye twitching ever so slightly. Vala’s pompous expression slowly faded as he tried to keep up with the motions.


  “Um… what’s he saying?” Vala asked meekly. Cass waited until Orin had signed everything he wanted to be said, and a wide grin spread across her face.


  “He said that he isn’t going anywhere with someone like you, especially not without me. And that he’s sorry, but by your logic he’s also a liability. He doesn’t want to ‘slow you down.’” Vala’s entire demeanour fell into disbelief, his shoulders sagging as he stumbled to find any words to rebuttal. Orin, seemingly satisfied that his message got across, promptly stood up and joined Cass’ side.


  “Sorry, chosen one. You’re gonna have to find someone else to join your band of merry men. We’re out.” Cass said, holding her head up high as her and Orin descended back down the mountain, leaving Vala behind on the hill.



© 2021 Liza


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

26 Views
Added on April 11, 2021
Last Updated on April 11, 2021