Chapter Three: You Can't Die if You're Optimistic

Chapter Three: You Can't Die if You're Optimistic

A Chapter by Liza

Orin and Cass moved out of the grassy plains and towards the outskirts of town. Cass’ residual fury and adrenaline were beginning to wind down into grogginess, while Orin was letting his cloak flow in the pleasant breeze.


  “Hey.” Cass tapped Orin on the shoulder to get his attention. “Thank you for that. But… you don’t have to give up the chance of a lifetime just for my sake. That isn’t fair to you.”


  “Are you kidding? I’d never leave you behind like that,” Orin signed. “No amount of adventure or life-threatening peril is worth that. Besides, Vala managed to insult and diminish us both within the span of five minutes. There’s no way I’d fake a smile and pal around with him just to help him get more popular. He doesn't deserve that.” Cass smiled at the ground, her tightened chest filling with relief.


  “Right. The last thing that guy needs is a bigger ego,” Cass laughed. “I need a bag of whatever mushrooms the Gods were on when they chose him.” 


  “I’m beginning to think the prophecy was all a ruse. A way to get all of us hopeful before our untimely deaths.” Orin smiled and shook his head. 


  “I absolutely would not put it past them.”


  “He’s charismatic and strong, sure, but he doesn’t have the qualities of a real hero. You need determination, wisdom, nobility, all stuff he doesn’t have. Honestly, you and I probably have a better chance of taking Aldebar down then Vala does. Street smarts plus book smarts is a powerful combination.” Cass chuckled at the comment, then froze in her tracks. She furrowed her eyebrows and turned to a confused Orin very slowly.


  “Repeat what you just said.” She instructed. Orin raised an eyebrow, but obliged, repeating the signs for his last statement. “Orin, you’re a damn genius.”


  “I’m almost too afraid to ask.”


  “The prophecy stated that a hero of valor would be chosen to stop Aldebar, and the Gods chose Vala as that hero. But he doesn’t have any valor or-or heroic qualities whatsoever. He’ll only show off to the world, then bail when the going gets tough.” Cass went on.


  “And?”


  “And so, who says that Vala has to be the one to save the world?”


  “...The prophecy, Cass.”


  “Well, screw the prophecy!” Cass boomed. “Why should we have to rely on some-some dumb words to dictate our future? The Gods may have chosen Vala as their hero, but who says he has to be our hero? Where in the rules of life does it say that we don’t get to have a choice, too?”


  “Now hold on a minute-”


  “We are the ones in peril right now and we shouldn’t have to twiddle our thumbs and rely on some arrogant charmer to save our hides. No, you and I have just as much power as any chosen one. Orin, my friend, we are hijacking this stupid prophecy. We are gonna be the ones to stop Aldebar.” Cass said with abject determination, placing her hands on her hips proudly. Orin stared at her with a dumbfounded expression and began to massage his temples.


  “Of all the brainless things you’ve said and come up with, this one really takes the cake.” Orin stared daggers at her.


  “Let me explain first, I know it sounds stupid-”


  “It doesn’t sound stupid, it is stupid!” Orin signed furiously. “A prophecy isn’t just some random recommendation, Cass. It’s a foretelling of what events must happen in order to achieve a foretold future. It’s documented fate!”


  “Then maybe fate needs to be rewritten.” Cass said sternly. Her and Orin glared at each other for a moment before she sighed. “Look, I know it seems reckless and selfish, like I think we should take all the glory instead of Vala. But that’s not my goal here, honest. I don’t give a s**t about being recognized or-or validated by a bunch of strangers. But we both know that Vala isn’t the right fit for this.”


  “And we are?” asked Orin. “What makes you think we’re any more capable than Vala is?”


  “You said it yourself! Or signed it yourself, whatever. You spend all day swallowing books in dead languages, and I know the ins and outs of pretty much every community in Aven!” She defended.


  “Yeah, but being able to recite classic literature and knowing which tavern in Yo’ludo has the best fish sandwich isn’t going to be enough to take down someone like Aldebar! I don’t think you understand just what kind of a foe we’re talking about here. He’s huge, ancient, and powerful enough that he’s sucking up all the Magic in Aven. Going against him without knowing how to fight is basically suicide!”


  “Then we’ll team up with beings who can fight!” Cass shouted, then lowered her voice back down. “Strength in numbers, right? I’m sure if we find the right beings, we can hold our own!” Orin folded his arms and shook his head in disbelief.


  “You’re not gonna let this one go, are you?”


  “You know me well enough to answer that.” Cass grinned sheepishly. She looked towards the shape of the Blood Tree in the close distance, a breeze rustling through her dark hair. “We’re in jeopardy, Orin. All of us. If Aldebar isn’t dealt with, our world will die before the next Sol. The only thing that can save this world is a hero, and we’re fresh out of those. So… sometimes us regular folk have to get the job done instead. …What do you say, up for a bit of adventure?” She asked hopefully, extending her hand. Orin stared downwards at the gesture, contemplated for a moment, then reluctantly took her hand.


  “This is beyond idiotic, but I’m not letting you go in alone,” Orin quickly took his hand back to sign. “I really hope you realize what you’re about to get us into, Cass. ”


  “Sometimes you have to just trust your instincts and go for the gold, my friend,” Cass said, beaming. “And besides, if it really was so important that the prophecy be followed to the latter, I think the Gods would’ve interfered by now.” Cass paused and looked up to the sky, beckoning any kind of force to strike her from above. “See? If this really was such a bad idea, I would be dead already.”


  “Well, we’re going to have to make one heck of a plan… Not to mention figuring out how to find Aldebar in the first place… And we’re going to have to find some pretty insane beings to agree to join the cause.” Orin signed, seemingly more to himself than at Cass. “And just for curiosity's sake, how do you expect to get this by your parents? If your Mom had to imagine the worst possible path her daughter could take, this is probably it.”


  “I’ll… think of something on the way home,” Cass muttered, obviously not having thought of a solution for that specific hurdle. “Look, you said it yourself. I’ll never know unless I try. I’ll worry about my parents, you just worry about packing as many books about Magic and Gods as you can.”


  “That’s going to take a bit to sort through everything... When did you want to leave?”


  “Oh buddy, we’re leaving tonight. Probably a little before the First Sunset.” 


  “Tonight, seriously? You come up with this insane plan on the spot and you want to enact it tonight?!”


  “Hey, you already agreed to the quest, so no take backs allowed. And yes, we’re leaving tonight because the sooner we leave, the sooner Magic returns to the world! What would be the point of waiting?” Cass demanded.


  “Gee, I don’t know. Maybe preparation? Planning? All the things you continue to ignore for some reason?”


  “That’s why I have you around.” Cass grinned widely, even after Orin made a face. “Relax, there will be plenty of time to plan. We’ll probably be going all over the place, so lots of time to form details.”


  “Have you even thought about where we’d go?” Orin asked.


  “I did, actually! Earlier Mr. Bocker mentioned that Ponja had gone down to Sea Pair to make some deliveries, and it reminded me that Sea Pair has a huge scholar population. Nerds all over Aven gather there for “conferences,” or whatever. It’s our best option for finding information. Plus, I know you’ve always wanted to see the ocean.” Cass smiled. Orin nodded approvingly, tapping his finger to his bottom lip.


  “That’s actually a fairly good place to start,” he signed, then his expression slowly shifted into a very serious one. “But that’s a long and tough journey. I don’t know if you’ll be able to make it on foot.” 


  “What, doubting me already?” Cass tried to joke, but the lightheartedness had suddenly gone out of her voice. 


  “I’m not doubting you at all. But the fact of the matter is that you’ve never had to travel that far before. Standing in a field for a few hours at a time is one thing. Walking over difficult terrain for more than a week out in the open is a whole other ball game.” Orin signed, looking at her with sympathy. Cass turned away, hating to see that look in his eyes.


  “Okay, yes, I know that it’s going to be a hard journey. But if we just go at a moderate pace and take frequent breaks, I’ll be fine,” she reassured. “Honest. I know myself better than anything. And besides, Magic wood, remember?” She said, pointing to the smooth, patterned lumber that made up her lower half.


  “All that does is keep the wood from rotting, doofus,” Orin signed, but smiled reluctantly. “Fine. I’ll trust that you know how to take care of yourself. But if anything goes even the tiniest bit wrong, we’re turning around without complaint. Got it?”


  “Got it.” Cass saluted him and chuckled. “Thank you, Orin. Honestly, I’m so glad to have you backing me up at every turn. But taking back what I said before, know you can back out at any point. Don’t feel compelled just because of me.” 


  “I don’t feel compelled because of you. Though a bit misguided, you do have a pretty good point. We shouldn’t have to wait around for our lives to be decided for us. If we disagree with fate, then it’s up to us to change it.” Orin signed, smiling gently.


  “That, and you also really want everyone to see how cool you are so you can become a Wizard faster.”


  “That is an added benefit, true.”


  “Well then, what are we waiting for? Let’s go make you a star.” Cass patted him on the back, stepping back into the safety of town and heading in the direction of their house. The two Elves swiftly moved down the pathways, the streets now nearly doubled with crowds then it was barely thirty minutes ago. Though Cass and Orin attempted to keep out of everyone’s way, the buzz and excitement of Mayor Tyvolt’s announcement followed them with every step.


  “I’m so proud of Vala! He and my daughter work together as guards, you know!”


  “Such a strong, considerate young man. Handsome, too! I heard from a friend that Bauldr had him trained by a soldier all the way from Nockum!”


  “Ha! Aldebar doesn’t stand a chance against our boy! I told him to give that no-good demon a hit from us little guys!”


Although Cassia desperately wanted to scream into the void, she bit her tongue and kept her mouth shut. It doesn’t matter anymore, don’t waste your time worrying about Vala, she had to tell herself. It’ll only distract you from getting the job done. 

As much as Cass tried to keep her focus forward, though, it was getting difficult to ignore the sound of Vala’s name being thrown in every which way. The more conversations passed, the more Cass was sure that this was absolutely the right choice to make. Vala had this whole town wrapped around his finger, and it was about time someone took him down a notch.


By the time Cass nearly broke open the large wooden door to her home, she was positively fuming. Her face was somehow even starting to glow with maroon fury, the burning anger of her emotions managing to make itself evident on her dark cheeks. She didn’t have very much time to stew in her emotions, though, as the moment Orin gingerly shut the door behind him, two very familiar Elves darted into the living area from the kitchen.


Ever since she was born, folks often remarked that Cass looked just like her mother- and they were usually right about that. Mrs. Graeson shared the same exact shade of black skin, long dark hair, swampy eyes, sweet face, and average height as her daughter. Honestly, the only real difference between the two was that Mrs. Graeson often had her hair in a tight braid while Cass kept it free-flowing. Meanwhile, the only things Cass received from her father was a slightly broader build and a love of pancakes. He always liked to joke that the only thing Cass got from him was his last name.


  “There you two are! We were just about to go out and search for you.” Mrs. Graeson greeted, extending her arms out. Cass and Orin walked over and kissed her on the cheek. They then moved to Mr. Graeson, who wrapped them both in a tight but affectionate bearhug. As a child, Cass often complained about this daily familial greeting. Being older now, though, she found she quite enjoyed the small tradition. Not that she’d ever admit it.


  “Hi. You two are never home this early. And you’re both awake, wow! What, are you using your single vacation day?” Cass asked, escaping from her father’s grasp. 


  “If only,” Mr. Graeson chortled, patting Orin on the back. “Still saving that for the Cold Season. Your mother and I just decided to take a half day off in order to celebrate the good news.” Cass bit her tongue.


  “It still boggles my mind,” Mrs. Graeson said. “Little Vala Coshrew, the hero of Aven. I still remember when he used to romp about the village, waving sticks around to “go slay monsters.” And now he’s destined to save our dying world. Boy, if you had told me that fifteen Sols ago, I would’ve never believed you.”


  “But the prophecy is finally in action! We were thinking of grabbing some pastry from Berrtle’s, maybe have a picnic.” Mr. Graeson chirped. Orin and Cass glanced sideways at each other.


  “Are you sure?” She said tensely. Her parents’ eager faces fell ever so slightly.


  “Are we sure?” Mrs. Graeson repeated with puzzlement. “I don’t understand what you mean, dear.”


  “I mean like… it’s a huge responsibility to put on just one person. You don’t have any… reserves of whether or not he’ll be successful? Vala isn’t… Is Vala really heroic?” Cass questioned anxiously. Cass’ father gave her a sympathetic smile.


  “Who can say for sure? Prophecies have been wrong before. As much as we all try to pinpoint the future, not even the Gods can fully predict how and what events may transpire,” he said. “Vala may be somewhat naive-”


  “And full of himself.” Mrs. Graeson added.


  “And full of himself, maybe,” Mr. Graeson chuckled. “But he’s a young man with a fighter’s spirit in a time of need. No matter what, I have utmost faith that Aven will still receive a hero in the end. A hero who properly fits the title.” He said. For the tiniest of moments, Cass thought that as her father looked between her and Orin, a melancholy expression flashed on his face. When she tried to look again, though, there was nothing. Perhaps she only imagined it.


  “When did you start caring about Vala’s abilities? I thought you hated the boy.” Mrs. Graeson smiled. Orin subtly tapped his foot against Cass’. 


  “It’s not that I’m worried… it’s just, er… Mom, Dad, I have something I want to tell you. And please, just fully hear me out before you say no,” Cass said, her stomach twisting itself into knots. “Now that I’m no longer in the Academy, I have to decide what I want in life. And I want to save… I have… I want to leave home. Not forever, just for some time to travel around. I-I want to travel to new sights, meet new people, I want to explore!” A period of silence followed this statement, Cass’ parents staring blankly at her for an unnerving amount of time.


  “...Oh?” Mrs. Graeson finally uttered. 


  “I know what you guys are gonna say. The world’s super dangerous and you’re worried I won’t know how to handle myself. But I need you to trust in me just this once. I need you to believe I’m capable of being independent outside of the village.” Cass urged, looking in between her parents. Mr. and Mrs. Graeson looked at each other as if they were trying to share a conversation telepathically.


  “This is… a tad sudden, wouldn’t you say?” Mrs. Graeson asked gently. “Maybe you should stop for a moment and think this over.”


  “That’s what I tried to tell her…” Orin signed. Cass lowered his hands so her parents wouldn’t see.


  “I have thought this over, Mom. I’ve actually been thinking about this for a really long time. Before I take over the family business and become a farmer full time, I want to find myself. But I won’t be gone for long, nine Lunar Cycles at most.” Cass said. Her parents remained silent, so she decided to go for a different approach. “Come on Dad, didn’t you travel the world when you were my age?”


  “Yes, I suppose I did,” Mr. Graeson said thoughtfully. “But I knew how to defend myself back then. The world is crawling with crooks and monsters, Cass. I don’t know if you’d be able to fight back if the Gods forbid you needed to.” Before Cass could reply, Orin stepped forwards.


  “If I may add my input. I’m not sure how much my opinion matters compared to yours, but I can assure you with confidence that Cass is more than capable of handling herself. I’ve seen it with my own eyes time and time again. I have complete and utter faith in her.” Cass smiled. “But if it makes you feel better, I plan on going with her. As a Wizard in training, there’s so much to be learned from experiencing different cities and cultures.”


  “You’re both leaving?” Mrs. Graeson cried, aghast. “I have to lose you both at the same time?” She looked to be on the verge of tears before her husband clasped a comforting hand onto her shoulder. They shared a series of silent words before Mr. Graeson spoke in her place.


  “If… If you two have really thought this over, and decided that this is really what you want for yourselves, then we will support you.” He said. Cass raised her eyebrows.


  “Wait, seriously?”


  “You’re both adults. I think you deserve to have knowledge of the outside world,” he continued, glancing at his wife for approval. “We have no right to stop you from going down these paths if that’s what you want to do. All we can do is ask you to please, please be careful.”


  “Your father… is right, but I still don’t like it,” Mrs. Graeson muttered miserably. “If it were up to me, I’d want you two to stay here with me. But… it’s not up to me, is it?”


  “We have to go when we’re ready.” Cass said, smiling sadly.


  “Not when I’m ready,” Mrs. Graeson sighed reluctantly. “I can’t keep either of you from spreading your wings if you’re ready to. It’s my job as your mother to protect and guide, not control. If you believe in yourselves to do this… Then I will support your decision.” Cass moved forwards and embraced her mother tightly, burying her nose into her shoulder just like when she was a child.


  “Thank you, Mom,” Cass nearly whispered. “I’ll make you proud, I promise.”


  “My love, you already do.” The two of them stayed in that tight hug, neither party wanting to be the first to let go. That is, until Mr. Graeson took it upon himself to join in.


  “Oh, I can’t believe how old my baby is. It feels like just yesterday I was bathing you in the kitchen sink,” He wallowed, wrapping his massive arms around his wife and daughter. “You used to be small enough to fit in my arms! What happened?”


  “I can still fit in your arms, you just have to try a little harder.” Cass laughed, though her eyes were starting to get a bit misty. The three ke[t a tight hold on each other for a split second before Mrs. Graeson looked up.


  “Orin, what are you doing standing there? Get in here!” She commanded, opening one of her arms towards the Elf, who up until this point had been standing aside rather awkwardly. Immediately, a small grin spread across his face and he joined in the group-hug, squeezing himself in right besides Cass. A long, blissful period of silence followed as the family kept each other close.


  “So when were you planning on leaving?” Mr. Graeson eventually asked.


  “Tonight.” There was another beat of silence.


  “We’ll cross that bridge in a bit, it’s hug time now.” Mrs. Graeson said decidedly, and hug time it remained.



© 2021 Liza


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on April 11, 2021
Last Updated on April 11, 2021