Chapter 1- Timeless Memory

Chapter 1- Timeless Memory

A Chapter by WoLf

Through Wolves Eyes

 

The Final Howl

 

 

Some secrets are darker and deeper than others. We hide from ourselves and cover our deepest fears and flaws in hopes they will never shed light. We can not help the inevitable fact one day we face a darkness blacker than any other, that darkness being our very own.

 -Donvu Stas

 

Chapter 1- Timeless Memory

 

The air filled with autumn leaves and wispy winds. Vargas had been sitting quietly by himself in his cave. The boys were out today, it was a good time to think. He peeked his out into the midday sun to watch the two of them play. Only six years had it been since he watched them emit their first breaths. But then he thought of the third. The crumpled, disfigured, terrified little imp that had spawned after the two of them, only three years ago was that, he didn’t want to think about it. Klara, his mate, looked after the deformed wolf herself. He never understood why she bothered. “Let it die”. He thought to himself. She was determined to keep that runt alive. The weak die off for the strong. He sulked back inside for another hour long nap.

 

 

James scampered over the field jumping in front of Chanoue as he rolled onto his back. “Come get me”! Called James as he leapt up with a bark and ran off over the bright hillside. Chanoue clamored to his feet and took off with a bright smile on his face. He pounced onto James sending him rolling over. “Oh no”! Cried out James playfully. Chanoue rolled off him laughing heartily. “You’re fast, but not fast enough”. Chanoue looked down at his younger brother; he had been born only two weeks before him but was still about his size. “I wonder if we can finally play with that other wolf”. Chanoue asked scratching his ear impatiently. James shrugged and veered his direction to the dirt burrow at the far end of the valley. “Mom went down to see him today, maybe we can go visit”. James suggested eyeing his brother for a moment. “Yeah let’s go”! Chanoue laughed and he ran passed James before he could even respond. “Get back here”! Called James and he took off after his brother who was running down the hill at break neck speed. James tried to keep up with him but suddenly his feat had failed him. He tumbled over landing on his head and rolling down and down. Chanoue stopped and looked back at his brother. He ran over, lifting him up. “You got to be more careful running downhill like that”. Chanoue said matter-a-fact like. James scoffed. “You sound like mom, you know that”? Chanoue smiled at him and turned around walking to the burrow in the distance. He stared his head in to see his mothers back to him while she lay on the floor covering something. James was right behind Chanoue peering over his shoulder. She didn’t react to the blocking of sunlight from Chanoue or James. Chanoue called out. “Mom”? Klara turned her deep grey head to look at them. She had pure blue eyes and a calming smile. “Yes boys”? She responded though a coughing behind her caught her attention and she turned away again. “Can we play with him? Is he alright”? Klara turned her head again. “Who”? Chanoue gestured to her and she looked to the side she was covering. She shook her head. “No I’m afraid not”. Chanoue inched into the burrow. “May we see him”? Klara greeted him again with her calm smile and nodded. Chanoue whispered the approval to James and he climbed down the small dip into the burrow. “Be careful, he’s a bit under the weather right now”. She warned. Chanoue inched around her side and saw the small wolf. He was unnaturally hunched and curled, too small for his age. Chanoue gave an odd flinch at the sight. “What’s his name”? James asked now seeing the wolf himself. Klara looked down and back up. “Kanoue”. Chanoue came closer and sniffed him. The Kanoue opened one of his eyes at him giving a faint smile before coughing again and curling closer to Klara’s chest. “So that’s our younger brother”? James asked. Klara nodded again. Her eyes shifted to the burrow opening wincing. James and Chanoue turned their heads to look up. Standing in the opening was Vargas. He had a dark frown on his black face. He growled stepping inside just enough for his glowing yellow eyes to be visible in the shadows. “Klara, what are the boys doing here”? He snapped angrily at her. “They were just coming to visit Vargas”. She replied just as sternly. “I don’t want them anywhere near that rat”. Vargas growled looking over at Klara. “But dad, he’s not a rat, he’s like us”. James spoke quietly, fear quivering in his voice. “That thing is nothing like us”, Snarled Vargas. “Now get out of there, both of you”! Chanoue climbed out hastily. James kept looking back at his mother ignoring Vargas’ yells. “James, come out this instant”! Suddenly James felt himself being lifted. Vargas had grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and lifted him out. He saw his mother’s sad face fade away as he was marched off back up the hill.

 

 

After another three years had gone by, Chanoue and James were learning to hunt. The natural living skill of a wolf. “Now keep your eyes peeled, ah! There’s one”! Vargas has pointed out a rabbit scurrying away quickly. Chanoue and James were but teenagers. Chanoue chased after the rabbit quickly gaining speed with every lurch. He pounced down on it; the rabbit was now tight in his jaws. Chanoue looked very proud of himself holding his head up high. The fresh catch hung in his mouth like a trophy. Vargas applauded him and praised him. “Good job, very well done Chanoue but their will be bigger game, remember that”. Vargas looked at James. “Alright now you James; keep an open eye and sprint when you see one”. A small white rabbit tore over the field then stopped about fifty feet ahead. James creped low and snuck up on his prey. Vargas sneered then started to hiss out to James. “What are you doing? Go after it”! James kept sneaking though making sure the rabbit hadn’t spotted him moving. He was now very close about three or so feet. Then he leaped out grasping the rabbit tight in his jaws in one fatal bite. He stood up holding his own trophy with pride but this was soon broken by his father’s angry words. “Chanoue showed better attack, you’re supposed to charge forward”! James was confused. He thought his stealth plan was better suited for attack. “When facing a real challenging kill your little stealth isn’t going to help. Imagine a rabbit but thirty times faster than that. Known as deer”. James still felt his plan was very good. Vargas turned away annoyed and patted Chanoue on the back with extreme enthusiasm. Chanoue looked over at his crestfallen brother chewing at his own rabbit avoiding his father’s eyes. He didn’t want to say anything and turned back to Vargas with a smile. James sulked away turning back only to see his brother stand tall alongside Vargas.

 

 

Night fell overhead on the valley. James stood near the rock cliff at the entrance to the cave and leaned quietly against the rock. Chanoue sat down next to him. “I’m sorry about today”. James held up a paw to stop him. “It was my fault”. Chanoue turned away looking at the floor then looked into the moonlight. “I wonder how that wolf, Kanoue is it? Is doing”. James shrugged. They hadn’t seen him since those three years ago. “It wouldn’t hurt to go see”. James said gesturing to hill. They climbed down and headed off across the grass. The ground was cold and chilly from night air. They climbed in through the burrow. Klara was at the cave tonight and not in the burrow. The small hunched wolf, Kanoue, was alone. He was curled in a ball on a rock in the back corner. James made a small Psst noise to get his attention. Chanoue snuck down the edge and did the same. Kanoue stirred then flicked himself into standing position. He was about half the size of James and Chanoue. “Oh it’s you”. Chanoue and James looked at each other. “You know us”? Chanoue asked. “Yes, I remember you and mother talks about you frequently”. James sat next to him. “Why can’t you be with us”? Kanoue shrugged slightly. “Mother says that father doesn’t like who I am”. James looked back at Chanoue for sense of this strange statement. “What does that mean? Why”? Kanoue eyed up at them. “Because I’m not like you. I’m different”. James looked closely at Kanoue’s hunched figure. “How are you any different”? Chanoue snorted with a chuckle. “Look at him, are you blind? He’s all bent looking and disfigured”. Kanoue crept back with a sad look on his face. “I don’t see it”. James said sharply giving his brother a matching look. “I can also do things mother, father, not even you two can do”. Kanoue said bravely at them. Chanoue peered around his stern brother to look at Kanoue. “Like what”? Kanoue raised his two paws into the air and out of thin air, a thunderclap sounded and small lighting rays shot up. Among the shocks were flashes of light. Chanoue jumped back. “What is that”? Kanoue dropped his paws and the action stopped. “It’s my power”. Chanoue stepped back even more. “That’s not normal”. James scowled. Chanoue turned around and shot out of the burrow not even looking back. Kanoue’s eyes watered. James placed a paw on his shoulder. “Your no different then me or Chanoue”. Kanoue rubbed his eyes and smiled. “You are different from him though, you’re kind and generous”. James sighed and looked out the moonlit burrow exit, the full moon still holding up high in the sky.

 

 

By morning the next day, Chanoue and James were not speaking with another. Chanoue casted sneering gazes James’ way whenever they seem to pass. Every now and then James noticed but paid almost no attention to it. The day went on but still Chanoue was not speaking with James. He spent most of the day talking with his father and learning other hunting techniques. James visited with his mother down in the burrow with his mother. She was talking to James about Vargas. “Vargas has some kind of family mission, it thrives off his anger”. She added grumpily. “He doesn’t like Kanoue because of-”. She cut off abruptly. “I know about his powers”. James said leaning forward to look at the feasting Kanoue who was gorging on his rabbit kill supplied by Klara. “Chanoue doesn’t like it”. James said. Klara snorted. “He’s like his father”. James felt a twinge in him. “What is this mission dad is working to anyway”? James asked suspiciously. Klara eyed him for a moment. “I don’t exactly know but he was going to share the information with you two boys one of these nights”. James sighed. “To be honest, anything associated with Vargas is a small matter to me”. Klara said casually. James looked at her. “You don’t like him”? Klara shrugged and rolled onto her back. “He isn’t all bad but he’s just changed since I knew him, something inside him seems so off and distant”. Kanoue looked up after finishing his rabbit. Klara nuzzled him softly. “All I care about now is keeping us as a family”.



© 2012 WoLf


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on August 13, 2012
Last Updated on August 13, 2012


Author

WoLf
WoLf

CA



About
Just the average guy doing his thing. Current project(s): Winchester Grove Finished Projects: Through Wolves Eyes Series Future Project(s): Wolvrens of Frost Creek (name subject to change) more..

Writing