This Generation

This Generation

A Poem by Joe W
"

This was written out of an idea that this generation needs to step up there game.

"
Before I get started with this today, I've got a game I'd like all of us to play. It's called who can guess the amount of hard working teens in this generation today, versus the teens who would rather party all night and play all day? I know teens who would rather sit in a weed smoking circle rather than a pew, simply because they believe it's the cooler thing to do. I'm not saying religion is the answer that we all should turn to, but don't you think there are better things for us to do? It seems with all the drugs out there all we care about is hitting the next high, because this was the only way that we know how to get by. More often than not the teens are looking for an all-night all day party, but how many teens really know the dangers of an STD?

It seems that their hearts and minds are all hallow, because the lives that they live are so shallow. They say they'll kick the habits and do better in school, but soon they are back out doing the same thing because they were told it's cool. Parents don't seem to care because they are right there with them too, rather than teaching the right thing to do. Rather than teaching things like responsibility and financing, they teach rather on the basis of last minute planning. Yet when the kid's mess up it's not the parent's who are at stake, but rather it's seen as the child's mistake. I say it's time to turn this generation around, because the only place we're aiming right now is at the ground. Although I don't have the map that has the right route, I do have a suggestion so please hear me out.

Instead of just teaching them to go with the flow, how about we start teaching them what they need to know. I say it's time to start teaching what's right, because morally it seems that we're losing this fight. This generation could be the greatest the world has ever known, but it starts in your own home. If you're trying to teach your kids the right thing to do, how about starting by being the ones they look up to?

We could be the absolute worst or the absolute best, so I say it's time we put this generation to the test. I hope you got something out of this today, for it would be a shame for my words to simply waste away. This generation has the potential to change the world we are a part of, and I believe it all starts with a little bit of love. If we love and appreciate this world that's around me and you, we can learn different ways to help it in the way we know how to. The best way to take care of something is to appreciate all it can do, so ask what you can do for this world and not what it can do for you. If we do love and appreciate all it can do, then the changes will come but in this generation it starts at home with you. Someone once said be the change that you want the world to see, so if we follow that advice we can make this generation the best it's ever going to be.

© 2016 Joe W


Author's Note

Joe W
Please tell me what you guys think of this. It was written in about 20 minutes, so it is the longest I've spent on one of these.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Sadly this is very accurate for a lot of teens, but not all of them are the stereotypical kids. I think it's just that we hear about the bad ones, and we dont hear much about the responsible ones. And yes, they do have the potential to change the world. I agree with that "teach them what they need to know" point. I agree with it very much.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joe W

8 Years Ago

I'm glad that you enjoyed it!!



Reviews

Eloquently said.... Wonderful points you have made.. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joe W

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the feedback. I enjoyed reading some of your stuff as well.
M. L. F.

8 Years Ago

Yeah, haha.. Jinx ;)
Sadly this is very accurate for a lot of teens, but not all of them are the stereotypical kids. I think it's just that we hear about the bad ones, and we dont hear much about the responsible ones. And yes, they do have the potential to change the world. I agree with that "teach them what they need to know" point. I agree with it very much.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joe W

8 Years Ago

I'm glad that you enjoyed it!!
this is amazing the truth about our generation,though i can't say much about the teens working or partying but i do know most of teens are not ready to work they prefer having fun believing they have no responsibility to cater for,i think this piece will inspire lots of teens and make them think twice on their current behavior.thanks for sharing this piece.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Joe W

8 Years Ago

I hope it will inspire teens. That was the goal of this one.
Adesanya Yewande

8 Years Ago

i think it will
this is very good, crammed cho-a-bloc with genuine truths, well written, well done :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joe W

8 Years Ago

Thanks. I'm glad to hear my writing is having this kind of impact.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

389 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 18, 2016
Last Updated on March 19, 2016

Author

Joe W
Joe W

Windsor, CO



About
"People may not always believe what you say, but they will believe what you do."-Adolf Hitler more..

Writing
The Letter The Letter

A Poem by Joe W



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I Am Human Too I Am Human Too

A Poem by Joe W