Maturity and it's development: A psychological approach

Maturity and it's development: A psychological approach

A Story by Asher Khan
"

English speech

"

Psychological Maturity and it’s development

Good morning/afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Asher and today I will be presenting my speech: "Maturity and it’s Development: A Psychological approach” All I request is that you keep an open-mind while listening, as I find the topic to be an intriguing one, and by the end of it, hope you will too.

I will firstly address the issue at hand. People seem to throw the word mature around these days, without any proper understanding of the term, and today I aim to give everyone a clear understanding of maturity and how it’s developed.

For you to understand the reasons which contribute to a person maturing; I will define maturity: “Maturity is the ability to react, cope and reason in an appropriate way for the situation.”

The areas which we will investigate are mental maturity, and emotional maturity.


Generally, maturity is something gained over time, and is usually reached during teenage years or adolescence, although, the question is: “Why do some people reach mental maturity at a much younger age than others do?”

Well, the answer is: “There are many factors which play a part in achieving maturity, some of the main ones being:

·         Pain. Pain changes the way one thinks, sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worse. The topic of pain is a vast subject, and there are many types of pain, however, in this case, we will be focusing on: Traumatic events and childhood problems) The fact that pain helps mature one, is referenced to countless times, one of the areas in which it is shown is in TV series, the “cliché” villain has had some sort of indecent childhood, full of grief and pain, and it has led to his or her maturity. Although, these villains usually end up thinking of the world as much heartless a place than it really is to most.

There is also bit of science to the subject, if you are constantly hurt emotionally, mentally or physically, your body adapts by heightening your pain threshold, this effectively leads to you being able to handle emotional pain with ease, which is part of the definition of maturity.

·         Constant decision making is large factor as well, as it helps us improve how we react to a certain situation, it’s similar to when you make a mistake, the second time you attempt what you made a mistake at, your results will improve.

·         Another point which links to Constant decision making and mistakes is: Time. Time is the best teacher. With time comes experience, as with mistakes

·         Logical and Calm thinkers. “Angry men are stupid men, and stupid men make mistakes.” Logical and Calm thinkers usually achieve maturity early because they are not easily provoked, and do not let their emotions get the better of you. As well, this links with the Constant decision making. Logical and calm thinkers are less likely to make mistakes, and so mature at an even faster rate.

·         Mental Capability (Intelligence) is also a factor of which one matures; this is because when you are more mentally capable, you are able to deal with situations in a more logical and beneficial way.

For example:

You’re walking down a street, and someone’s provoking you, but instead of retaliating, an intelligent person would simply ignore the provokers and carry on with whatever they’re doing. However, those who are less intelligent would usually react and retaliate to the provokers, and this may even lead to the situation getting serious.

Or in other words, "S**t going down."

In conclusion, I think that Pain, intelligence, and decision making are the largest factors to one’s growing maturity.

Thank you for listening, and I hope you enjoyed my speech.

© 2012 Asher Khan


Author's Note

Asher Khan
Ignore errors, spelling, grammar etc, need to add finishing touches

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on October 1, 2012
Last Updated on October 22, 2012

Author

Asher Khan
Asher Khan

Al Khobar, Idk, Saudi Arabia



About
I'm a 14 year old who's fairly interested in writing, however, my writing seems to be better when I'm describing a vivid dream, or scene in my head. more..

Writing