A world without walls

A world without walls

A Story by Asher Khan
"

Just wait and... see.

"

 

Prologue


There never seemed to be any pause of movement, no silence. People were entering and leaving the building every few seconds, the doors kept open. James Connor walked down the aisle, his hands in his pocket, deep in thought. How was he to put his request into words? Would they accept his idea? Perhaps the experiment's idea's value would be considered far lower than the costs they would have to put in for it.

He sighed, people had told him he thought too much of things, but what else was there to do when you were idle? He came to a stop as he reached the door with the label: “Requests” engraved intricately. He reached for the handle and stopped, thought taking over action once again; It's probably better if I just head back...

Mr. Joseph opened the door, “Why hello there James, would you like to come in?” No going back now, he's seen me.

“Yes, I'd like to propose an idea.” he stammered.

“Well, why don't you sit down, I'll get a drink for both of us, and we can discuss it- Coke?”

 “Coke will do.” he replied, feeling a heavy weight lifted off his chest, Mr. Joseph was present today, and he was the friendliest of the three chairs.

 He walked into the room, and no matter how many times he had entered it, he was always overcome by shock; the chairs were all extremely wealthy, and they could spend their fortunes as they pleased, seeing as they had so much, yet their room was so- he paused as he searched for a word- simplistic. The entire room was composed of a few couches placed in a circular formation, and a long wooden desk, situated behind the circle, long enough to seat three behind it, which is what it did. Joseph returned from the room to the left, two cold beverages in his hand, he sat on the couch, and waited for James to start.

“Well, I recently had an epiphany, today's economy is filled with bright people, and the percentage of educated people has risen, however” he took a sip of his coke, “priority has largely shifted, all people seem to be aiming for today is to pass exams, and to memorise facts, we have forgotten how to think for ourselves.” he glanced at Joseph, to see if he were still interested, or at least, paying attention.

He continued, “and so the production of phones has become so much less imaginative. This has helped some people, those who are intelligent AND imaginative, however, I doubt you can't be intelligent when you're...”

 “You're getting off-topic.” as kind as Mr.Joseph was, he was also very straight forward.

“Ah, yes, sorry. As I was saying, those who are intelligent and imaginative are becoming extremely successful, perhaps, too successful. Heard of Mr. Cadrey?”

“Who hasn't, he's dominating the market.” Mr.Joseph replied.

“Yes, that's the reason as to why, he has employed a group of imaginative artists and designers, and they help him design his products, his technology. He now owns over 20% of the market, and this number is rising at a furious pace.”

“What do you propose?”

“I have nothing against the man, for he is not corrupt, but this is an example. If he were to do this, who's to say that any other man who's imaginative can't? The market could end up in control of the corrupt, and society would suffer.” He stood up, feeling theatrical, his emotions getting the better of himself. “I want a batch of children which I can raise in a manner which may, or may not, make them far more imaginative than the current generation, if this experiment does prove successful, we would be able to fix the economy from heading down this dire path.”

“Ahh, as for the details of this experiment?” Mr.Joseph said, sounding fairly impressed, but doubtful at the same time.

“I took the fact that you're a busy man into mind, and I will be sending you a letter informing you of the details.” As if to prove his point, there was a knock on the door. Mr.Joseph looked as if knew who was behind the door, and he seemed rather worried.

“Thank you for that, James” he said hurriedly, “but I've got a meeting with an important person at the moment, and you must go.” this was followed by Mr.Joseph ushering James out of the door.

As he walked down the aisle, back to the entrance, James could JUST hear Mr.Joseph say, in a delighted tone “Ahh, Mrs. Stelle, what a pleasure to meet you again.” and he left with a smirk.

          *

As soon as he arrived home, James ran upstairs so that he could get to the letter immediately, he could barely surpress the excitement within him. He fiddled for his keys, raised his hand, and pushed the key into the door, and turned his hand clockwise in a brisk manner. The smell of experiments burst outwards, home sweet home. He quickly turned to the right, picking up his laptop which was laying against the wall. He sat atop his bed, and began to write.

Dear Chairs,

My experiment's basic idea's to improve the generation to come's imagination, and I will be doing this with a team of psychologists, scientists, and growth analysists. We will be nurturing a batch of children, and they will be raised with their eyes closed, they will be taught as other children are taught, however, if a child is faster or slower at learning than the average child, we will adjust his schedule. Every day, a scientist will mark down the child's progression, and we will have him write down his thoughts in a diary of his own. The child will be taught to visualise certain words by the usage of stencils, and the rest we will leave to their imagination. As they were not shown what the world looks like, or given an environment in which they live in, their brains will adapt by allowing them to create scenes within their minds in seconds, with an environment of their own. We will view these surroundings that they have created via a machine which's purpose is to look at a child's dreams. Generally, they will have just one environment they will constantly explore, there are a few expected exceptions to this rule. When they grow up, their imagination will be extremely powerful, they would be able to create whatever they want with ease. Once they reach the age of 13, their eyes will be uncovered, and they will be left to investigate the world they live in. With their ideas, they will be able to create designs, stories, movies, according to their very own worlds. These, if good enough, would be shown to the public, and people could buy products associated with these ideas as they liked, the economy would no longer be susceptible to men such as Mr.Cadrey, as discussed beforehand.

This may even lead to some breakthroughs, as they may apply their knowledge of mechanics or technology to their ideas, creating new scientific products.

All I need for this experiment is the acceptance of the chairs, of me and a team caring for a batch of kids over years, and keeping them away from the world we live in, I would also like to request an annual loan for the children is needs.

Yours truly,

James Connor.

James' arms slumped as he finished typing, he then dragged his text onto the screen which depicted his email, and sent it to the included address. He then placed his laptop on the floor, and dropped into his embracing bed.

          *

© 2013 Asher Khan


Author's Note

Asher Khan
This is a small segment of what would take hundreds of pages to write. Note, It wasn't as good near the end because I didn't have the scene vivid in my mind.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
Added on January 18, 2013
Last Updated on January 18, 2013
Tags: amazing yeah.

Author

Asher Khan
Asher Khan

Al Khobar, Idk, Saudi Arabia



About
I'm a 14 year old who's fairly interested in writing, however, my writing seems to be better when I'm describing a vivid dream, or scene in my head. more..

Writing