Double-Decker Stress Burger

Double-Decker Stress Burger

A Poem by Xanthar Manmuffin

Sick animals scream my nightmares from a tired cobweb forest. My frown smiles hot shrapnel like a child in the red-stained midst of a Kool aid bender.

If bedtime wants me, then he can strap on his miner light and chase me through the secret tunnels like sunshine does. I keep a thousand wounded mysteries bound and gagged in closeted shoeboxes. Pick your wound; it’s like bowling for angels with live hand grenades. I haven’t slept since that fat preacher dunked me in a giant bathtub and told me that Jesus was inside of me. I can’t afford that kind of honesty. I’m thinking about having the whole thing fixed surgically. That’s the only sure way to ice my nerves.

Otherwise, I could end up sitting behind a particle board desk in some ugly beige cubicle hive in Indiana. Nobody wants to be caged unless the sharks are circling.

I suppose I could distract the hounds from my path by murdering every mime I see. Acceptable casualties for the sake of a higher cause; like nineteen year-old soldiers tossed into the volcanic mouth of an eternal war. Just official business; now hurry up and release me before I get lost in the vast borderlands between duty and common sense.  

© 2011 Xanthar Manmuffin


Author's Note

Xanthar Manmuffin
I am more earth worm than dragon.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

If you are truly more earthworm, and the thoughts come through you this quickly and you move that slowly....that would almost be painful. A shotgun blast to the head this one is, so many different directions, all of them frantic and dark. Some f*****g awesomne lines in there, specially the one about Jesus...lol. Loved this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I feel meager in the wake of this...so many great lines!
"If bedtime wants me, then he can strap on his miner light and chase me through the secret tunnels like sunshine does."
"Pick your wound; it’s like bowling for angels with live hand grenades."

It's explosive.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Some really challenging images here...I'm not precisely sure what the overall meaning is, but, regardless of that, it was interestingly said!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Well, damn...you told it like it is LOL!
I really love these lines:I haven’t slept since that fat preacher dunked me in a giant bathtub and told me that Jesus was inside of me. I can’t afford that kind of honesty. I’m thinking about having the whole thing fixed surgically.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well, it's hard to pass up reading a poem with a title like that, and I am glad I didn't fight the urge. You are incredibly, incredibly clever and I am gonna make it a point to read your other work soon. Bowling for angels with live hand grenades? Thinking about having the whole thing fixed surgically? This reads like a laundry list of things I wish I had come up with myself.

Excellent work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Interesting. The first line really caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting this cold rain of pain and cynicism. It's amazing though. "I keep [...] shoeboxes." is my favourite line. I enjoyed this poem quite a lot.


Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

give me the sharks ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Your poetry is a bit like the aftermath of a battlefield... bits and pieces of shrapnel and body parts strewn around.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

If you are truly more earthworm, and the thoughts come through you this quickly and you move that slowly....that would almost be painful. A shotgun blast to the head this one is, so many different directions, all of them frantic and dark. Some f*****g awesomne lines in there, specially the one about Jesus...lol. Loved this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Your poetry always makes me feel weird. It's amazing, but almost painful...the way you layer your images and wave your confusion about like a flag of war. Good stuff bro.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 30, 2011
Last Updated on March 30, 2011

Author

Xanthar Manmuffin
Xanthar Manmuffin

Bear, DE



About
I am an alien from the planet P-12. I live in Deleware, where I have found my suitable human slave: Chris. (Xanthar makes me eat scummy crumbs from under the refrigerator. Help me Please! Chris) more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT


Only Then...... Only Then......

A Poem by Bubo


Exhale Exhale

A Poem by Nobody.