Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Xian Fowler

“Five hundred in gold coin? You can shove it up your a*s for all I care” the large bearded man sitting across from Logan said in disgust, ”hundred’s the most you’ll get out of me and that’s ‘cause I’m feeling’ generous.” The man finished.

Logan smiled at the man, known as Mad Hat Alvertos, before replying, “c’mon Mad Hat. You know what I went through to get this and I know your client is paying you a hell of a lot more then a hundred gold coin.” Logan paused and took a sip of his pint; he resumed as he put his drink back on the table, “sides Hat you know better then anyone else in the whole guild that I’m worth every gold piece.” He finished with a slight nod at Alvertos, letting him know the ball was in his court.

Alvertos gave Logan a stern look that lasted a couple of seconds before he broke out in a boisterous laugh, “aye you got me, I think I can do two fifty for you, how ‘bout it?” he asked. Logan nodded in acceptance before cautiously stealing another sip of ale, to which Alvertos laughed again, “then you know who to see ‘bout getting paid, be off with you. I have clients to make very happy.” He said as he grabbed the item wrapped in white silk off the table and gave another little nod to Logan as he turned and walked into his office.

The chair creaked as Logan stood up, he scanned the room silently and quickly his eyes landed on their mark, Logan made his way across the tavern towards a beautiful redheaded woman. Slowly Logan took a seat right behind the red headed barmaid he had spied and tapped her pale white shoulder, “hey Gwen.” he said as the young beauty turned to face him, she smiled before responding, “oh, am I worthy of an audience with the great Crow, King of Thieves?”

Logan shook his head and smiled, “but of course my fair maiden, only the fairest get to speak with the great Crow.” He said trying hard not to laugh as Gwen smiled back at him again. She quickly grabbed his hand as the two made their way to a small back room behind the bar.

Once safely behind the bar Gwen slyly fished a large satchel of coins from her cleavage, “I threw in a little extra for your trouble.” She said with a wink as she tossed the bag then she continued, “I got to get back out front ok, Can you show your self out?” Logan nodded, “many thanks my fair maiden.” He said to her with a cheeky grin, Gwen sighed and stealthy planted a kiss on Logan's cheek before she vanished behind the solid oak door.

Logan quickly counted the coins and smirked, he then stashed the bag in his pocket and made for the back door. Once he was in the alley behind the tavern Logan quickly leaped at the brick wall and swiftly bounded off it as he made his way towards the roof.

Moments later Logan stood on the taverns rooftop as he surveyed the town below him, a shop owner was closing up across the street and a couple sat on a bench up the block. Sometimes it’s hard to see it but the corruption is all there, he thought to himself as he started running along the rooftops, jumping the gaps between buildings, the wind rushing through his hair.

He made his way to the outskirts of the city in minutes and quickly slipped past the guard that was posted at the front gate. Once he had cleared the boarder of the town Logan turned around, Ipathis, city of heroes. He thought to him self with a laugh as he slipped his hood on and made for his hideout.

Moments later Logan stood at the manhole cover that lead to his lair, he cracked his knuckles before bending over and pulling off the damp metal disk, he took a quick look around before stealthily sliding down the hole pulling the cover back on as he did so.

Logan did not fall long before landing next to a family of rats, causing them to scatter. He quickly grabbed the torch of the sconce that he had put there long ago, torch in hand Logan walked cautiously down the corridors of Ipathis’s sewer system. He had it memorized, every little hallway in the labyrinth of tunnels resided within his head.

He hummed as he turned left and right down the dark dank tunnels until he came to an archway covered by a tattered brown curtain, he slid the curtain out of the way putting the torch on another sconce as he did so.

Logan walked into a large room and inhaled deeply as he removed his hood, home sweet home, he thought to himself. He walked into the lavishly decorated room and through a doorway into another lavishly decorated room. He sauntered over to his safe and knelt down. He quickly dialled in the code and the safe made its familiar clink sound, as it leisurely swung open.

Logan grabbed the sack of coins from the pocket within his robe and opened the safe all the way. The inside of the large steal safe was filled to the brim with gold and silver coins as well as a few various gemstones scattered about. Logan could not help but smile as he poured the coins into his hand and steadily placed them on the pile.

He closed the door and stood up turning as he did so, he made his way to the bed in the middle of the room and fell flat on the slightly stained mattress with a thump. Logan rolled over to lie on his back as he continued to hum the song he had been humming earlier.

As he hummed he started to think of Gwen and shortly after that sleep consumed him.



© 2015 Xian Fowler


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on June 24, 2015
Last Updated on June 24, 2015
Tags: Thief, Betrayal, Thieves Guild, Fantasy