Chapter 2 Preview

Chapter 2 Preview

A Chapter by Xian Fowler

The next morning Logan was awoken by the fast paced pitter-patter of footsteps on the street above him. He quickly stretched and got out of bed before walking over to his desk. He shuffled through a couple pieces of paper before finding what he was looking for.

Among the pieces of crinkled paper that littered his desk was a crudely scribbled note; Logan stared at it for a long time as he remembered how he came into possession of the note. It had been a cold night, so cold that Logan had worn a facemask to accompany his hood.

He had been doing a job for Mad Hat, as he did most nights. It was a simple grab and go, the kind of job Logan loved. It was always straightforward: wait for the mark to leave their residence, quietly pick the lock, grab the item, and leave before anyone knew you where there.

Logan had stood outside the marks house concealed within the embrace of the shadows within the alley across the road. He watched as his mark, Lady Ebonmare, left her home to do what Logan assumed was meet her not-so secret lover. Rich people, Logan thought as he spit on the ground in disgust.

He quickly made his way across the road and up to the large manor that belonged to Lady and Lord Ebonmare. Logan sighed as he bent down in front of the manor’s ornate front door, this door is worth more then I make in a week, he thought to himself as he readied his lock picks.

He skilfully unlocked the door and was inside the house in seconds. The front room that he found himself in had been ten times more ornate then the door. There where beautifully handcrafted vases as well as skilfully painted portraits that would all be worth more gold then Logan had ever seen all at once, but Logan was on the look out for one thing.

The item he sought was a necklace that was thought to be in a locked display case in the master bedroom. Logan didn’t know why Mad Hat’s client wanted the necklace and he didn’t really care. He knew in his heart that in this business, questions only ever got you killed.

Silently Logan made his way through the front entry and up the stairs towards the bedroom.        

 

 

 



© 2015 Xian Fowler


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on June 28, 2015
Last Updated on June 28, 2015


Author

Xian Fowler
Xian Fowler

Vancouver, Canada



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Xian Fowler