Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Heidi
"

The beginning.....

"

 

 

Prologue:

This was the same old and cracked paved road she had walked for years; still the cracks hadn't changed much. Alix, as she was known, had never left the small town she was born in some fifteen years ago, she never even had the opportunity to try.  The city was small and packed with people. Plazas, clubs and schools were always within walking distance and everyday felt the same; kids walked to the theaters after school, parents were always home before dusk and after sunset, collage students filled the clubs and men gather in the bars to watch evening football.

The sun was setting fast, turning the air a hazy yellow color and just beyond the horizon a heavy summer storm was approaching, its blackish clouds bubbling through the skyline. The wind was already gaining force and getting sticky, whipping Alix's long hair into her face. She gathered her golden hair into a messy bunch at the nape of her neck and held it in place with her fingers as she tugged her hood over her head. This was a normal habit, done before reaching the busy intersection several blocks from her house. The casualness and comforting formality of the shadowing hood allowed her to feel blended in with the crowd, like no one was watching her, just simply another face in the crowd.

Today there weren’t as many cars on the street, almost none as heat streamed of from the pavement, waving the yellow center lines. Alix took a glance each way before leaving the sidewalk; it was eerie with no one around. Any other day there would be other people about and hundreds of cars zooming off to their driver’s destinations. Now there was just stillness and the wavering sound of the rushing wind. It was broken by the steady increasing sound of a car engine.

Alix stopped in her path to look in the direction of the oncoming noise. A sleek, black car with tinted windows, blasting a heavy techno beat screeched around the sharp bend leading from the bridge out of town not too far down the street. A confused looked crossed Alix’s brow for the car was beginning to edge towards the center of the lane.

What’s going on? Is this a high-speed car chase?

She removed her hands from her jacket pockets and unlocked her knees; the muscles in her back tightened. Alix knew she had to move. The sleek car was now centered on the gleaming yellow lines and speeding up, growing larger and larger. The music got louder until it filled her ears and the vibrations thumped through her body, mingling with the quickening of her pulse. The engine roared just above the overpowering music. Alix’s mind triggered a panic and she darted across the remaining distance of the road. Just as her feet hit the sidewalk the car blazed past her in a streak of black on the wrong side of the boulevard. A swift gust hit her back.

Her lungs expanded and burned with the intake of warm air as she trotted to a stop, she could feel it clinging to the inside of her lungs and along her throat like a sticky sap. She turned her head to see where the machine had gone and, to her horror, a loud squeal expelled from the tiers and clouds of smoke were expanding in the air behind it.

Alix’s heart raced in her chest, pounding hard against her rib cage. There’re no sirens. She realized. This is just some freak with a game in mind and there’s none around to stop him.

 The smoke began to clear and Alix flicked her eyes around the windows, trying to catch a glimpse of any motion from inside but she couldn’t penetrate the tint concealing the glass. The taillights shined, reflecting off the bumper in a light that seemed too bright and too red. Alix’s panting echoed in her ears and her stomach knotted, anxiety taking its fingers of shock and finding its hold.

There was a long moment of uncertainty. Alix didn’t know if the driver of the car would reverse, maybe just to scare her, or if they would leave her unnerved and alone where she stood.

I’ve gotta get out of here.

The engine roared again, sending out puffs of smoke from the tail pipe and giving Alix a release of adrenaline that was more than enough to send her running in time to her rushing heartbeat. She didn’t know where her feet where taking her but she let them lead the way, she just wanted out of there. She strained her ears for the sounds of an approaching car, being aware not to head straight for home.

Why is it always me? She pondered. Why do I end up getting all of the senior pranks put into my locker, or being stalked by the weirdoes? Her face twisted into a look of upset thought with a pouting lip, but only for a brief moment before her mouth was open again to suck in air.

After putting a good few blocks between her and the intersection she slowed to a stop under the shady trees in the local park. She had to take hold of her knees and bend over to catch the breaths that came in short gasps. Glancing around proved her to be alone in the setting sun. The swings were empty, along with the sand box and the basketball court, a very rare occasion. Sweat dripped from her hair into eyes and slid down her back. She shivered.

Home was just a few blocks away and the whole walk there she prayed for silence.

 

 



© 2009 Heidi


Author's Note

Heidi
some interesting thoughts are coming my way...........

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

had never left he small town she was born in some fifteen years ago, she never even had the opportunity to try.

had never left (the) small town

Nice, i love the way you write, really descriptive. One of my favorite authors is Hemingway because he did the same. He just had a really good way with words, and making things come to life by describing the very detail of things. It was almost like sitting there with him, or seeing things through his eyes. Maybe you should of continue with this piece, you can build from it and make much more out of it. I think you cut yourself short, you can make on of those thrillers, horror story or some suspence story out of it. I dont know, just play with it and see where it takes you.
Thanks for the request and i'm glad you writtig again, is been a while. Don't stop now, keep it up and keep them coming...
Look forward to reading more in the future...
ONe!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Intense, and my curiosity is piqued. I think it's a good idea to read further.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mysteriousness in the prologue :) awesomeness :) still wondering why the car was chasing her :o lmao ... great write

-Aaron



Posted 16 Years Ago


Continue It... I Liked It!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


had never left he small town she was born in some fifteen years ago, she never even had the opportunity to try.

had never left (the) small town

Nice, i love the way you write, really descriptive. One of my favorite authors is Hemingway because he did the same. He just had a really good way with words, and making things come to life by describing the very detail of things. It was almost like sitting there with him, or seeing things through his eyes. Maybe you should of continue with this piece, you can build from it and make much more out of it. I think you cut yourself short, you can make on of those thrillers, horror story or some suspence story out of it. I dont know, just play with it and see where it takes you.
Thanks for the request and i'm glad you writtig again, is been a while. Don't stop now, keep it up and keep them coming...
Look forward to reading more in the future...
ONe!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Excellent job! You did a wonderful job on this, and the details were truly amazinggggggggg! Please, CONTINUE!

Posted 16 Years Ago


This was an excellent write! The mechanics are perfect. It flowed nicely, and your process was followed throughout without error. This is excellent! Certainly...continue!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

XD wow thats an intresting start, kinda wondering why the car was trying to kill her, but i guess that comes later XD

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

319 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 10, 2008
Last Updated on January 4, 2009


Author

Heidi
Heidi

OH



About
I'm Heidi. I do all forms of writing. I'm involved in may artistic fields. I respond to my red request as quickly as I can, though there a many of them. more..

Writing
How to be You How to be You

A Poem by Heidi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


the heart the heart

A Poem by Ash<3