Chapter 1: The Awakening

Chapter 1: The Awakening

A Chapter by Vicky Zhuang Yi-Yin
"

Becoming what she loathes the most...

"

The air was filled with a loud hiss as if someone was breathing through his throat with his teeth clenched. There was a girl running around the dark, dingy streets. Someone or something was pursuing her. She turned around the corner and dodged it as it lunged at her. The tall girl paused for a few microseconds to catch her breath while the creature who pursued her crashed into the wall.


There was a loud cackle in the air. The girl gasped. Two of those things were now behind her. She cursed under her breath and then resumed her escape. She looked behind her and saw those things fighting each other to chase her. She took another turn to her right and hid behind an old broken dumpster, trying to catch her breath. There were no street lights in the streets; they had been broken for years now. The only light source now was the moonlight shining brightly that night.


Deera could see another group of those creatures join in the fight. They had caught her scent in the air. She sighed, relieved that for a few moments these creatures would fight with each other, giving her time to run away. Those vampires can keep on fighting, she thought to herself. She grinned and turned away, inching towards her hide out.


The world had changed a lot since the beginning of time. But the world had only changed for the worst " the complete opposite of what people had hoped for. The first vampire had done permanent damage to it. Even after he was destroyed by his own kind, his legacy carried on; and now, one and a half millennia after he was destroyed, mortals followed the same existence as his. Mortals were now extinct. The only one left now was Deera. All of them had either died fighting the vampires, or had turned into those vile monsters that roamed around when the sun slept and hunted for fresh blood. She lived on her own, looking for signs of mortals but so far, there were none.


Deera had lost her family in the struggle against the vampires along with all the others. She survived by hiding for a long time, but she knew a time would come when the vampires could outwit her and she would either join them or die. They were all waiting for her to slip. Her blood was too precious for the night crawlers, for they had been craving for her blood for more than too long. The leader, Blood as he preferred to be called by, was the one who wanted her blood more than any other vampires did. He was willing to kill his own kind " and he did " to get to it. And so Deera had to run and hide, just to make sure she wouldn’t become one of them.


Long before humans were hunted down like animals, the vampires were in battle with other immortals to gain supremacy and they wiped them off the face of Galiala. And it was on that fortunate and unfortunate day when they hunted down half the population of humans for their grand feast to celebrate their victory against their foes. After that, their greed had taken over and they hunted mortal humans every night. But mortal humans fought back despite their knowing that they were no match for the undead monsters. Every night the population of these foul creatures escalated and the mortals’ numbers emaciated and then finally overpowered.


As Deera slowed to a quick paced walk, she suddenly began to feel her instincts tingling. Someone was behind her, following her. That’s what she felt. Turning around, there was no denying that her instincts were right. There was someone standing a few yards behind her. She gasped; it was one of the powerful vampires.


“So, you really are the last human. Never thought I’d have the honor of capturing you,” he hissed coldly. He looked like a pale ten year old boy. His eye was empty, without purpose. His fringe, brushed to the side, covering half of his face, left the empty eye revealed. “How have you been able to live your cursed life for a long time? How have you managed to slip through our fingers for the past two years?”


Deera ignored him and began to run. “Not so fast, Blood has trusted me to bring you to him,” the kid vampire said, as he leapt in front of her, blocking her way.

“You can tell him to buzz off! I’m not coming!” Deera said as she pushed the vampire’s shoulder.


The vampire did not budge, not even a millimeter. “Now, now. You don’t want to make Blood mad now do you?” he hissed calmly. “It’s not nice to make my Master mad.”


“It’s not nice to make me mad either,” Deera retorted.


“Come now; is that the way to treat your elders?”


Deera took a step backwards and tried to run. He grabbed her arm. “You are not my elder! You’re just a kid.” Deera punched the vampire’s face, pushed him to the ground, and pulled her arm away from him. She reached for her pockets hoping with all her heart and praying to the Great Creator to find a stake but there was none.


The vampire stood up slowly. He regained his posture and then said, “I really do not want to hurt you. Please, come with me without the need of a struggle.”

“Yeah? The other freaks like you don’t want to hurt me either, they want me,” Deera retorted, as she took another few steps back. “I know what you want from me, and you won’t get it.”


“Master Blood just wants your blood, and I will do as he bids me.” The obedient vampire zoomed towards her and seized her arm tightly. This time he wasn’t going to let her go. “You will come with me. You have no choice. It is your destiny to give your blood to him.”


“Since when did you write my destiny?”


The vampire ignored the girl’s taunt and began to drag her towards the lair. He was serious about giving her blood to his master.


“I’m not going!” Deera shouted as she tried to wriggle free from his tight grip.


“Struggling will do you no good.”


The leader’s lair was a creepy mansion; it had been there for centuries. The steps towards the mansion began from the side of the hill; the entrance was through the mouth of the cave concealed strategically to not allow the sun’s deadly rays to enter. Thirsty vampires dotted the steps, lying around in sorry positions, extending their hands and arms, hungrily trying to grab their leader’s wine bottle, as they sometimes called their prey. They glared at her hungrily. Deera writhed away from them. She cringed and flinched at the sight of these vile and filthy creatures " despite their handsome and attractive features. The girl knew they had lost their humanity a long time ago.


A bird’s squeals could be heard, begging for mercy. The last human turned her head towards the sound only to regret doing so. She cringed and scrunched her nose with disgust. One of the vampires gleefully decapitated the tiny bird’s head with his thin hands " pouring the thick red drink into his mouth, down his throat.

Suddenly another pair of arms grabbed Deera. They belonged to a female vampire. She eyed at the human with the greatest of hunger. The vampire begged meekly, “Please, please, give her blood to me.”


She looked like a seventeen year old just like Deera, however, she was stronger. When she saw the girl’s captor ignoring her lament, she hissed angrily. She jumped, clambering onto Deera, pinning her to the ground.


Deera screamed as she tried to push the vampire’s face from coming near her throat. As the vampire’s fangs came near her throat, her captor slapped the thirsty vampire and sent her flying. “How dare you disregard Blood’s orders? He is the only one who will have her blood.”


He grabbed hold of Deera again, as she tried to crawl her way out of the horrible place. “Let go!” she said angrily.


“Only when we reach Master,” the vampire child said.


“How can you keep listening to Blood? This is your chance to have human blood! Two years! Two years! We’ve been starving for it for too long! Don’t you ever get tired of him bossing you around, Bid? Don’t you get tired of listening to him?” Deera’s attacker hissed.


Bid grunted. “Sweet, fair Anya, I am not the traitor, if that is what you are trying to infer. Blood is our leader, and he will have her blood as he has demanded. We are to obey him, do as he bids, and nothing more, nothing less. He will deal with you later. It’s a shame that the one he favors the most is the one who would disregard his most desired wishes. Do not struggle Deera, the Master does not like to wait for too long.” He turned towards the girl.


“I’d rather he wait. I’m not becoming food!”


“Just a couple more steps, and then I’ll let you go.” He pulled her up the steps. He pushed open a pair of huge, heavy doors with his free arm. The room that followed was brightly lit with heavy glass chandeliers hanging high from the ceiling. There was a large dining table in the room, and on the far end sat him: the Leader, the Master, Blood.


A smile lit his pale handsome face when he saw Deera. He stood up; he was tall, looking like another seventeen year old. In his hand, he held a thin wine glass, half filled with blood colored wine. He took a sip and placed it gracefully on the table.


Deera trembled as he walked closer towards her, she started to struggle even more.


“Good work Bid, you have done really well this time,” Blood crooned.


Bid threw his captive at Blood’s feet and bowed. “Thank you Master.” He grinned at Deera.


The girl gasped with fear. She crawled backwards trying to get away from Blood.

The leader of the vampires eyed her, as if he was very interested in this creature. “Ah, yes, the last mortal human,” Blood said. He brushed his long hair back. “You’ve given me quite a run. You’ve been very naughty, and I’ve been craving for your blood for a long time now.”


“C-crave for it a little longer! You’re not getting any closer than this,” Deera retorted as she got back to her feet, and took a step backwards, regaining some of her courage.


“Is there a reason for you to struggle? None of your kin are alive anymore. You’re going to be lonely for the rest of your miserable mortal life, till you grow old and weak, until you die,” he mocked.


“I’d rather die while I’m lonely than bleed for you,” Deera retorted again.

Blood took a step forward. “So close. I can smell the delicious smell of your blood,” the Master crooned like a hungry man who had just had a whiff of a great feast’s aroma.


Deera stepped back. “You can keep smelling. You’re not getting my blood. Ever!”


“Come on Deera, why do you keep trying to run away from your destiny? You’re perfect for this side, you’ll live forever,” Blood extended his arm towards the girl who slapped it aside. “Is there a point to live alone? I promise to take good care of you.”


The captive had nothing to say. She bit her lip and ran towards the huge doors. Bid stepped in front of the door to block her escape. “Stay, you might like it here,” he said.


Blood motioned him to leave the room. Bid nodded and left as he closed the doors. Deera ran after him. She tried to open the doors, but it would not move, not even a micrometer. “No!”


“What’s wrong?” Blood mocked. “Oh yes, the doors are too heavy for you. Maybe if you join us you could open them.” He let out an evil laugh which echoed loudly in his room. Deera could see the chandeliers shaking dangerously, ringing, threatening to fall down.


The Master moved in front of her swiftly. He grabbed her arm with his cold hand that sent chills down his captive’s spine. “This warmth, from your body. So soothing. So tantalizing. My mind just can’t stop thinking about it. I must have your blood. Now!” he said greedily.


“Let go, you’re hurting me,” Deera cried as she slapped the Leader of the vampires. The girl took another step backwards; her back was pinned against the door. Blood put one hand on the door. Gathering some of her strength, she pushed tried to push him away. “Stay away!”


“You don’t have to be afraid Deera. You are going to give me the blood that I’ve been wanting for so long. You will become one of us.” Blood crooned, baring his teeth. He took her hand, and bit into her wrist, puncturing her skin with the pearly white and sharp dentures.


Deera cringed; pain and fear, the only things racing through her mind. No! she thought. She tried to pull her arm away, but the vampire had a tight grip on it. I won’t become a vampire. I won’t die in your arms!


Blood finally let go of her hand. Deera looked in horror at his face. Red, vermillion liquid coated his teeth " Deera’s blood " smeared all over his lips. He smiled at her. “That felt good. A nice bottle of wine, aged for the perfect moment. That’s how good this was,” he said as he licked the blood off from his lips lustfully. “Thank you Deera.”


She looked at her wrist. She felt her heart weaken and she fell to her knees on the floor. Blood smiled, drowning in his satisfaction. The thirst, now slightly quenched, would return, but he didn’t care. He finally had a taste of human blood and he was enjoying it. He closed his eyes and savored the moment, thinking about the taste.


Deera sat up. “So, now I’m one of you?” she said slowly, dazed. I didn’t die. He bit me. Am I a vampire? she thought. Blood, immersed in his thoughts, paid no attention to whatever she was saying. A glint of light caught the girl’s eyes. She looked at it: a carving knife on the long dining table. She crawled towards it, while Blood spoke to himself about the blood he drank. She grasped the cold hilt of the knife. “I will never join you,” the victim said.


Blood realized she was holding the knife. She had the pointed it towards herself, her heart. Her free hand reached for the other end. The palm pushed the knife through her skin. A little blood began to flow from the small wound, staining her coat. “You will do no such thing!” he shouted. He flew towards her and grasped her arm. “If you die, your blood will not taste the same!”


“Let go! I won’t join the vampires!” Deera struggled to plunge the knife into her heart, the only direct method of killing a vampire.


Blood kept the knife held arm away from Deera, keeping him between her and the knife. He pushed her back onto the table. “Stop!” she screamed. He pinned her back with his free arm. “Stop struggling,” he hissed.


“Get away from me!”


“You leave me no choice!” Blood brushed her long hair away from her neck with his free hand, and bend over. Baring his teeth, he dug them into her neck. Deera screamed in pain. Her mind raced with a question: how? How could she still be human?


Few horrible moments later, the knife fell from her hand, clattering onto the stone floor. She had stopped struggling. Blood let go of the drained Deera. She slipped off the table and sat on the floor, with her head limp on one side and her back against the leg of the table. She was unconscious. “You fool!” Blood spat. “You think I would’ve turned you into a vampire too soon! I saved your blood for later. It was just too good for just one day.”


The leader cursed under his breath and then clapped his hand. The lights in the room went out as he left. He made his way to his chamber where Bid was cleaning up. “What’s wrong with these mortals?” the Master asked loudly.


“Is there something wrong Master?” Bid asked as soon as he noticed the frustration burning from his Master.


“I leave some blood in her and the ungrateful brat had to pull a stunt,” Blood spat.


“She tried to kill herself, just like her father. Didn’t she?” Bid speculated.


Blood nodded. “I had to drain her. Now what will we do?”


Bid stayed silent for a while. He was in deep thought. “What are you thinking about?” Blood asked.


“Nothing Master,” Bid replied. “It is sad, we have run out of the mortals now.”


“There’s no need to worry. The substitutes are still around, and we rule the world.” The leader massaged his forehead. “You can leave now. Send a group off to hunt for some birds for now.”


Bid bowed and left the room. Blood jumped into his bed. The curtains in the rooms were heavy and were closed as if blocking something from peeking into the room. It was dimly lit as compared to the hall where he left Deera. The only colors that could be found in this room were black and red.


Blood stared at the ceiling and smiled. He drowned back into his thoughts of the blood he had had. The more he thought of it, the more satisfied he was but at the same time he was angry. It felt like the last meal, only unable to eat anymore and live without indulging in the joy and sin of consuming anymore. He knew he wasn’t going to have any good blood for a while.


Unable to sleep through the dawn, Blood walked to the hall where he left Deera late in the morning. He was twisting and turning in his bed, but he couldn’t close his eyes.


The sun shone brightly " much to Blood’s displeasure, the heat was uncomfortable, which was why he would sleep " but the heavy curtains did a good job blocking the deadly rays to enter. Deera was still lying unconscious next to the table. Everything was just the way it was, just as Blood had left them. Light tried to peep through the holes in the moth eaten curtains.


The beams of sun hit the floor centimeters away from the sleeping girl. Slowly, the rays moved towards her. Blood sat himself down next to Deera, fixing his eyes towards her. He brushed away the hair from her face and smiled. The beams were closer now. The leader picked her up and walked towards a corner where he sat with the girl in his arms. Cockily, he watched the girl’s sleep, occasionally playing with her hair.


Only a few hours later when the sun went to sleep did Deera showed signs of waking up. Her eyes twitched to life and she groaned, thanks to the discomfort in her neck. Suddenly she noticed something breathing on her. She gasped as soon as she realized she was in the arms of Blood. She quickly jumped up, away from him.


Deera put her hand on her neck. The teeth marks were pulsing with pain. She looked at her wrist. Her eyes quickly scanned her arm, her wrist. She could tell that the vampire in front of her was smiling over his accomplishment.

Even the teeth marks on her wrist were pulsing. Her skin was paler than she remembered. She knew what had happened: she was one of them now. The realization brought about tears into her eyes and she fell to the ground, burying her face in her hands.


“Why are you crying?” Blood’s voice echoed. He clapped his hands and light flooded the room. The new vampire shielded her eyes from the sudden burst of light and hissed with disapproval. She wiped her eyes dry.


“I told you not to cry in front of me, remember?” he said. “Welcome back into my family.”


“I’m not in your family,” Deera spat. “You turned me into this monster, you’re going to pay.” She got to her feet, ready to fight.


Blood stood up and walked towards her. “Come, come Deera. Vampires are proud creatures, and we never cry. You should be like us, proud of who we are.” He extended his hand to her, offering her help.


She slapped it away. “You’re disgusting! You drink the blood of your own kind. You killed Daddy! You killed everyone! I hate you all for that!” Deera screamed.


“How can you drink the blood of a human? What gives you the pleasure of drinking a living person’s blood? I still think it’s horrible.” She took a step backwards. She could feel her new teeth against her tongue.


“Drinking human blood is satisfying our thirst. It is food for us. The pleasure comes from the power that we gain from it. During the wars, vampires used humans as their fuel, that’s how we were able to win,” Blood said. “I felt the strength in every vein in my body after you so generously gave me your blood.”

He enjoyed the annoyed face the girl made as he spoke. “You’ll get used to it, when you have your first drink of blood. You’ll begin to love it. Sadly you will be the only human vampire who cannot have real human blood. It’s the best taste for us.”


“Good for me. I’m glad I don’t have to drink blood of my kin, but no matter what, I will never have blood!” Deera said.


“That’s a big promise you’re making there. Why? You’re not human anymore. Let me correct you. You’re kin now are vampires. You’re denying what’s in front of you. You were meant to be one of us,” Blood said as he came closer.


“I may be one of you right now, but I’ll never join you, or indulge in blood,” she cried and tripped as she took a step backwards.


“We’ll see about that. A vampire can never stay away from blood. The very smell of blood makes our minds go berserk. We just have to have it.” Blood clenched his fists.


“You can have all of it if you want it. You can even have my share!” Deera said. “I…”


The conversation was interrupted by Bid. He carried with him a bag that was wriggling uncontrollably. There was something inside, something alive. Blood motioned Bid to move towards the dining table. The young boy put the bag on the table; the top was tied with a knot. Bid looked at Blood again, his Master nodded. He opened the bag and then put his hand into it. He took out a little bird and pinned it to the table. The bird squealed loudly, pleading to be let go of. With his other hand, the servant brandished a knife.


“Stop it!” Deera cried.


But Bid only did Blood’s bidding and he had already decapitated the poor critter. He tipped the body above the rim of the wineglass and held it for a while, letting the blood drip into it. Deera flinched as she saw it. She almost felt like throwing up. She covered her mouth. Blood looked at her, smiling smugly.


He pulled her to her feet. She pulled her hands away from his and took another step backwards. Bid placed the wineglass on a tray. The glass only filled by a third. He presented it to Blood. He took the wineglass from his servant and twirled the thin glass container. Swirling the blood tantalizingly in front of Deera, he offered it to her. She stared at the blood for a while. There was something inside of her trying to tell her to take it and drink it. She tried to fight it. The slowly twirling motion of the blood in the glass mesmerized her.


No, I won’t take it. I won’t take it. It’s a trick. It’s what he wants. Deera told herself. Her gaze was fixated onto the fresh blood. No. Don’t take it. It’s not worth it!


Her hand slowly raised, reaching for the glass in the leader’s offering hand. She tried to stop herself, but it felt like she was guided to do so. Blood smirked as she saw it happen before his eyes. He knew Deera could not resist it anymore. The wineglass came closer with every second to her lips as she took the glass. The girl looked at his face. He was enjoying it.


The rim of the wineglass touched her lips. The smell of blood was so strong now. It drove her mind crazy. She was about to tip the contents into her mouth.


“Bottom’s up,” Blood smirked.


Deera quickly threw the blood in the glass at Blood and threw the glass at the wall, breaking it into millions of tiny shards. Bid’s jaw dropped. A glint shown from his eyes now. Blood licked the blood from his lips. “That was blood you just wasted,” he said.


“Next time don’t give it to me,” Deera said defiantly.


Blood grasped her arms, squeezing them tightly. “You’re now one of my servants and you will do as I tell you to!” he cried angrily.


Deera freed herself and slapped the Master’s face, leaving a mark. “I will do no such thing. I will do just as I want. Just let me go,” she said and then pushed him off.


“Feisty. You’re a good fighter. You are perfect to help me rule this world, as partners.”


“Sorry, not interested. And there’s nothing to rule, when there is no life in this world anymore. You freaks have annihilated everything!”


“Yes, but we can make a better place with your help; a rebirth of this world is at hand, and I want you to help me.”


“I don’t think so,” Deera retorted as she stormed out of the place.


Bid tried to stop her, but Blood motioned him to stay where he was. “Let her go, for now. We’ll find her. It’s not like she can go anywhere.”


Deera threw a dirty look at him and left in a hurry.


“She’s not going anywhere,” Blood said. “She’s going to need blood and I’m the only one who can help her now.”



© 2010 Vicky Zhuang Yi-Yin


Author's Note

Vicky Zhuang Yi-Yin
This is something that I wish and hope that it would become publishable someday... It's only wish and hope, so I don't know yet.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
Added on September 2, 2010
Last Updated on September 2, 2010
Tags: Story, Fantasy, Fiction, Vampires, Blood, Dark, Violence


Author

Vicky Zhuang Yi-Yin
Vicky Zhuang Yi-Yin

Lahore, Pakistan



About
I'm an amateur writer, who enjoys to write a lot. I almost write anything that comes to my mind, or what I am asked to write. My genres range from fantasy fiction to journal blogs and poetry to haiku... more..

Writing