The Cowboy

The Cowboy

A Poem by zion
"

A Christmas Poem for those who like the old west.

"
                                                   THE COWBOY
His name was Sam. He was a good man a hard working man and somehow he still had to explain. That the cowboys weren’t like what you saw in the movies all thanks to actors like John Wayne. He did have the horse and the chaps, the reigns, and most of what you see, but to a cowboy a hat wasn’t just a hat. It was his identity.
Sam did drive the cattle and ride the range he did it with a timeless heed. He couldn’t help but think on this winter’s night how ‘true’ cowboys were a dieing breed.
He built a fire in his weather worn attire, sat down and stared up at that evening star. Sure he didn’t ride the desert canyons but he still kept his faithful companion to be honest, his horse was more reliable then any sports car. 
  
Sam watched as his breath danced out and was briefly captured in the cold as his thoughts drifted towards a Christmas story of old.  He tried to remember as best as he could it was about the beginning chapter of a man, just like him, who was misunderstood.
This man did what Sam couldn’t imagine anyone would do. He came to save not just his life but the rest of the world too. This story stood apart and it was close to his heart because this story was true through and through.
He wanted to show his highest respect he wouldn‘t dare and try to sing. Instead it was the only honourable gesture a cowboy could do to salute the King of kings.
Sam bowed his head even though he was the only one there. He moved his hat and closed his eyes and said a heart felt prayer. He replaced his hat upon his head and with one last look to the sky he went to bed.
Christmas morning arrived rising from where he lay. He gathered up his belongings and mounted his horse to start his early day. As he looked at the sunrise he was a silhouette against the golden sky reminding him once more about the man that came to die.
Maybe it was other folk who found it hard to believe that true cowboys do exist even though they are becoming unfortunately rare. But this man wasn’t as hard like those portrayed in the movies Sam did have a soul, a heart, he truly did care.
The sun did continue to rise this time he didn’t close his eyes instead watched the color change, that part he did love. . Giving one last gaze to the sky he tipped his hat showing his gratitude to the Lord high above.
 Turning his horse together as one they trotted through the snow. As he had to travel a hard mile so all he did was smile as he had to go.
He herded his cattle. Something’s don’t change that real cowboys sit…
Tall in the saddle…and work hard on the range.
   

© 2013 zion


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice poem. Keep on the good woman

Posted 10 Years Ago


Whitney Shaw

10 Years Ago

This is good, I loved it, I had a wonderful scene and pictures in my head just by reading it. It was.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Added on December 2, 2013
Last Updated on December 2, 2013

Author

zion
zion

Writing
The Care Giver The Care Giver

A Poem by zion


Hate Hate

A Poem by zion


Bullied Bullied

A Poem by zion