The Care Giver

The Care Giver

A Poem by zion
"

a poem about my life in ten years helping someone in the final stages of life.

"

 


I stayed. they left, and I stayed--For her. 


She never did like being alone. 


They left, as they pursued countless dreams, of sonnets and dancing, exploring endless worlds far beyond the battered fences of my childhood. I stayed.


Jotting down the desires of my own hopeful heart and being, in the few pages of note books hauled away in a secret place I only knew.


This too shall pass. she had so often recited to me ,whenever something was too hard to bare. 


I never understood. How could I? something took hold. until her bones were breaking, her soul was shaking. morphing and bending and molding her into something I did not recognize.


They left. 

They did not see.


 the all consuming loneliness burrowing into her. She did not like being alone.


 Her tender heart that burned so bright, grew dim, and cold I tried to fight, to reignite her. but was met with embers.


As my staying was, mistaken for tedious efforts of a life well wasted, and eager mouths in sighting, and reminding. That i was doing nothing. 


It wasn't true.


My sleepless nights were spent on couches. Listening, waiting. making sure she was simply--breathing.  Eating and drinking, suffering and screaming and crying.


Hoping upon hope she could see I was trying.


Trying.


Trying.


Trying.


 to turn the accusing words into the encouraging notes of that warm heart long ago. To make the creases form into curve uplifting. To coax out a story I had heard so many times before, I sat and waited, listened and waited. And desperately seeking more but...


Nothing.


As exhaustion settled,  I willed myself, looked passed her attacking and became what she was lacking. Even when she was not sitting and gave way into falling


I tried to keep her from falling. Because I knew what that meant.


A flicker show of memories well spent.


They left.


Then came back, they thought that they were helping, there words like cadavers ripping me apart. Behind closed doors and comforting darkness.


They did not see the disarray of my heart.



They left and so did we.


As we approached, the place unspoken both of us knew the promise broken. And as she walked, fate giving us no choice.


I fought the clawing words that I wanted to desperately voice.



I stayed and watched her spirit wilt. As I pick up the shattered pieces of the life we had built.


Suffocating and choking on mind numbing guilt.


Begged God for repentance as I handed her a life sentence.


Anyone could see, she did not deserve.



My spirit contorted as she was gently escorted.


With my soul screaming, inner walls breaking, eyes burning tearing crying as I cemented the reality I let into a place where she was dying.


She never liked being alone.




By the burden she bare she too..


did pass.


The harsh ten years of my life eased, as I was comforted by a cherished love was reunited with his wife.


All the plans I have stored and the guilt I still bore, they will never understand, or comprehend how tough.


As I battle phantom voices whispering


Did you do enough?



So I press resume, where I last left off. Who knows where I'll roam



I hope you take my humble greeting in this small poem.


To embody love.


Someone, I loved dearly, who watches from above.

© 2021 zion


Author's Note

zion
Been awhile...like really. forgive grammar problems. if anyone is here reading this. please comment

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

27 Views
Added on January 5, 2021
Last Updated on January 5, 2021
Tags: loved ones dementia ten year abs

Author

zion
zion

Writing
The Cowboy The Cowboy

A Poem by zion


Hate Hate

A Poem by zion


Bullied Bullied

A Poem by zion