1. Terrible News!

1. Terrible News!

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

From the love story of Ian and Chrissy.

"



Michael and his partner were patrolling the neighborhoods on the East Side when a call came over the radio about a car/motorcycle accident on Dunn Street. Something gave Michael a sick premonition about it.

We're responding to that!” he said as he reached for the radio.

Are you crazy?!” his partner exclaimed, “That's halfway across the city! There's plenty of units closer than us.”

I don't care! We're responding to it! GO!!”

By the time they got to the accident scene, there were already half a dozen emergency vehicles there. Michael jumped out of the patrol car as it came to a stop. He ran up to the first ambulance and saw an elderly woman lying on a stretcher and being tended to by two EMTs. She was sobbing hysterically and her hands were shaking violently. Beyond the ambulance he saw a light blue sedan with dents and scratches on the passenger side door and right front quarter-panel. Lying on the pavement in front of the car were the mangled remains of a motorcycle. It looked as if the sedan had pulled out from a side street and the motorcycle had caromed off of it. His heart sank. The motorcycle looked familiar. Ahead of that he saw a group of EMTs huddled around a figure lying on the pavement. He hesitated. He was trying to gather the courage to go up and look when the EMTs lifted the stretcher and started toward another ambulance. He saw a black motorcycle helmet with a tinted visor left behind on the pavement and his heart sank even further. He ran to the ambulance just as they were sliding the stretcher into the back of it. The victim's face was obscured by an oxygen mask, but there was no mistaking the tattoo of a snake entwined down the length of the right arm.

Oh, God! No!” he muttered aloud. “How bad is she?” he asked one of the EMTs.

Hard to say.” she replied as she headed for the front of the ambulance. It sped away with lights flashing and siren wailing. Michael watched it until it was out of sight. Then he dug his phone out of his pocket and punched in Ian's number.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Emily was ready for this math test! She had studied hard for it, Chrissy had seen to that. And Chrissy had quizzed her on all the problems repeatedly until Emily had gotten them all right. Emily had balked and complained about how tough Chrissy was being on her, but she had to admit - she was going to ace this test for sure. She felt it! And wasn't Chrissy going to be proud of her!

The teacher finished passing the tests out and told the class to begin. Emily breezed through the first problem and was almost done with the second one when there was a knock at the classroom door. She didn't pay much attention as the teacher went to the door and spoke in whispered tones with one of the office assistants. Her teacher then walked straight over to her and said, “Gather your things and go to the office, Emily. Don't worry about the test. You can finish it another time.”

A feeling of dread washed over her as they headed for the office. She wasn't worried about being in trouble. But this was exactly, EXACTLY, how she had found out that her parents had been killed in a car accident five years before. It couldn't be happening again! Could it? Oh God, she couldn’t handle it if something happened to Ian and Chrissy. She couldn’t handle being left alone again. Her whole body felt numb and her mouth went dry. The walk to the office seemed to take forever.

She felt a sense of relief as they reached the office and she saw Ian standing at the front counter. But that relief vanished when he turned around and looked at her. This wasn't the warm, smiling and sometimes goofy Ian that she was used to. His face looked like stone. His skin was almost gray, and his lips were drawn tight across his mouth.

He nodded to the office assistant and, without even a 'hello', he guided Emily out of the office and toward the exit. “Come on,” was all he said.

Something wasn't right! Emily began to get scared. As they exited the building, she asked, “Is something wrong, Ian?”

Get in the car,” he answered abruptly.

They got into the car and buckled their seat belts, but instead of starting the car and driving off, Ian turned to her and said grimly, “I received a phone call at work. Chrissy's been in an accident with her motorcycle. They took her to the hospital in an ambulance. That's all I know. I don't know how badly she might be hurt or if she's even still...” He didn't finish the sentence. “So we're on our way to the hospital to see what we can find out.”

He started the car and put it in gear. Emily closed her eyes and said a silent prayer, Not again! Please, God, not again! Please let Chrissy be alright! Please!

Ian was just pulling out onto the street when she opened her eyes again. She noticed he was driving the wrong way to the hospital.

Isn't the hospital that way?” she asked, pointing over her shoulder.

They took her to St. Al's,” he replied, “It's farther away, but they have the best trauma center.” After about half a minute, he added, “It's where they take all the most severely injured people.”



~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~



It took every bit of Ian's willpower to obey all the traffic laws as he drove to the hospital. But he knew it wouldn't do Chrissy any good to get himself and Emily killed on their way there. He stopped for every stop sign, waited at every traffic light and stayed within five miles per hour of the speed limits. It only took them seventeen minutes to get there, but it seemed like an hour. Emily sat quietly the whole way.

He parked the car and got out and headed toward the entrance for the emergency department. He had to force himself to slow down twice so that Emily didn't have to trot to keep up with him. They entered the lobby and walked up to the front counter where a young woman greeted them.

I'm here to find out about my wife,” said Ian, “They brought her in a little bit ago.”

Sure,” the receptionist answered, “What's her name?” She turned to a computer behind the counter.

Chrissy Allen,” replied Ian.

A-L-L-E-N?” she spelled as she typed.

Correct.”

The receptionist furrowed her brow as she scrolled with the mouse. Then she picked up a clip board and leafed through some papers that were attached to it.

Hmm... she's not listed, but if they just brought her in as you said, she might not have been entered into the system yet,” she explained, “It's been really busy. We've had several ambulances come in today.” She came out from behind the counter and started for a set of large swinging doors that led to the emergency room. “I'll go back and check for you. What was she brought in for?”

She was in a motorcycle accident.”

The receptionist stopped mid-stride and turned to face him. “Oh!... her!”

Ian's heart almost stopped when he saw the pained expression on her face.

Yeah... she's here,” she continued, “I'll go see what I can find out.” She turned and went through the doors.

Ian looked down at Emily standing next to him. She looked scared. He put his arm around her and she leaned against him.

It seemed like the receptionist was gone for an hour, though the clock on the wall told him it had only been six minutes. She returned with a nurse wearing scrubs.

You're Mr. Allen?” asked the nurse as she approached him.

Stewart. Ian Stewart. I'm Chrissy Allen's husband,” he answered extending his hand to shake.

Oh, I can't shake your hand, sir,” she said.

Of course,” he said, withdrawing his hand sheepishly, “Germs! How's Chrissy?”

I'm afraid I'm really not at liberty to say right now. We're still trying to assess the extent of her injuries. However, it would help us a lot if you could answer a few questions, please.”

Of course.”

She peppered him with a string of questions about Chrissy's health status - allergies, medications, health problems, illicit drug use, etc. Ian answered that none of those things were an issue.

Okay, thank you.” She turned to go back to the emergency room.

Wait!” said Ian. “Can't you give me any idea what her condition is?!”

She shook her head. “I'm sorry. It would be irresponsible for me to say anything without knowing more.”

Well, the fact that you just asked me all those questions tells me that she's incapable of answering them herself,” he said. She didn't respond. “She's not leaving this hospital today, is she?” he continued.

No, she's not,” she answered.

Can I see her?”

That would be impossible.”

Then would you do me a favor? Would you please tell her that Ian and Emily are here, and that we're waiting for her?”

The nurse smiled slightly. “I'll do that,” she replied. She returned to the emergency room. The receptionist directed Ian to a desk behind the counter and asked him several questions as she entered Chrissy into their system. When she was done she said, “Just have a seat in the waiting room and I promise I'll let you know as soon as I learn any news about your wife.”

Ian and Emily sat down next to a TV and waited. A million thoughts were going through Ian's mind all at once. Why wouldn't they tell him how badly Chrissy was hurt? Was it because they didn't know, or were they afraid he might panic? Maybe she was already dead and they were waiting for the chaplain to come and break the news to him. The thought that she might die or already be dead almost stopped his heart. He was utterly and completely in love with her and couldn't imagine living without her! The thought suddenly occurred to him that he might have to raise Emily alone! He decided to push all such thoughts out of his head. He needed to deal with things as they happened and not get worked up over things that might not happen! Above all, he had to be strong for Emily!

Emily sat quietly beside him. She was being so good! She didn't cry or bother him with questions that he couldn't answer. He could tell she was scared. The whole ordeal had to be hell for her. She was facing the real possibility of losing her mother for the second time. Ian felt so sorry for her! She didn't deserve it!

Fifteen minutes passed, then twenty. Ian looked toward the front counter, but the receptionist shrugged and shook her head. No news. Thirty minutes. Still no news. When nearly forty minutes had passed, Ian stood up and walked to the counter. Emily got up and trotted after him.

I'm sorry,” said the receptionist, “but I still haven't heard anything.”

Ian spoke politely but firmly. “Look, we've been here forty minutes now and I don't know how long Chrissy had already been here before that! Surely they've had time to 'assess the extent of her injuries' by now! Now get somebody out here to tell me how my wife is doing or I'm going back there and find out myself!”

Yes, sir! Right away!” She came out from behind the counter and hurried through the double doors.

Emily looked at Ian in wide-eyed wonder! Sometimes he became cross with her when she misbehaved or didn't do her chores, and she had seen him get into a couple of bad arguments with Chrissy. But she had never, ever seen him get angry with a stranger! He was like a different person! It was a little disconcerting, but in a strange way reassuring, too. He seemed angry, yet calm and in control.

Within minutes the receptionist returned with a middle-aged woman with shoulder length blond hair dressed in scrubs.

Mr. Allen?” she asked as she approached him.

Stewart. Ian Stewart,” he answered, “I'm Chrissy Allen's husband.”

Mr. Stewart, I'm Dr. Serta, the lead trauma care physician. Your wife is on her way to the O.R. for emergency surgery right now. Our emergency surgeon on duty is Dr. Khetran. He's one of the best! Frankly, if I was in your wife's situation right now, he's the one I would want operating on me!” She seemed rather abrupt. She looked down at Emily. “Is this your daughter?” she asked.

Yes. This is Emily.”

Ian was both surprised and impressed when the doctor began speaking directly to Emily! “Emily,” she said, “Your mother has been very seriously injured. But I want you to know that this hospital has the best trauma care center in the city, and at this moment there is an entire team of doctors, nurses and medical technicians helping her.”

Is she going to be okay?” Emily asked meekly.

Dr. Serta stared at her for several seconds before she said, “Sweetheart, I need to speak with your father for a few minutes.”

Emily looked up at Ian. He nodded and gestured toward the other side of the lobby. She hung her head dejectedly and walked over to a sofa by the TV set. She sat down and watched them instead of the TV.

Dr. Serta turned to Ian and said, “Mr. Stewart, I am sometimes accused by my colleagues of being a little too blunt. But I believe that patients and their loved ones have a right to know just how serious their situation is, so I don't sugar-coat things. I'm not going to list your wife's injuries right here and now, but I will tell you that they are extensive and severe! We're doing everything we can for her, but...” she looked away for a few moments before continuing, “I'm afraid the outlook isn't good.”

Oh, Jesus!” replied Ian. He felt his knees weaken and his heart seize. He looked over at Emily, who was still watching them. He hoped his face didn't betray what he was feeling.

Dr. Serta followed his gaze to Emily, then she turned back to Ian and put her hand on his shoulder. “I promise we'll do everything we can for her,” she said sympathetically. She turned to go back to the emergency room.

Does... does she have a chance?!” Ian called after her.

Dr. Serta turned to face him and thought for a moment. “I've seen people in worse shape pull through,” she replied, “But that's usually the exception.” She turned and continued on her way.

Ian could only stand there in a numbed state of shock for several moments. His mind was reeling at the thought that Chrissy was dying. He took a number of deep breaths before he looked over at Emily. It wouldn't be easy, but he had to remain strong for her. She had been very good so far. He realized her stoicism had been a source of strength for him. He walked over and sat down next to her on the sofa. From the very beginning he had made a silent promise to himself that he would keep her informed of everything. She was old enough to know what was going on - good or bad.

What did the doctor say?” she asked, “Is Chrissy going to be alright?”

He could tell she sensed things were bad. He saw the fear in her eyes. He chose his words carefully and spoke slowly. “The doctor said that Chrissy is hurt real bad! They're doing everything they can to help her... but it might not be enough.”

Her eyes began welling up. “She might die?” He nodded. She shook her head and almost whispered, “No!” He put his arms around her and she buried her face in his shoulder and began sobbing. More than anything in the world he wanted to tell her not to worry - that everything was going to be alright. But he knew he couldn't do that. So he held her. She cried for a full ten minutes, and he continued to hold her for another ten minutes after she stopped.

He put his hands on her shoulders and gently pushed her back so he could look at her. “It's very important that you understand something, Buttercup,” he said, “When we adopted you, that meant forever! If - God forbid - we have to go on without Chrissy, then we will. Just the two of us. No more foster homes for you! Understand?” She nodded. “Good! Now, I have to make some phone calls. I'll be right over there by the door.”

He called everybody they knew and told them what had happened. It was difficult to have to repeat it all over and over again. Michael insisted that he and Dani were coming to the hospital. Suzee, Chrissy's only friend from before she met Ian, was almost hysterical and also insisted on coming. Ian begged her to be careful driving!



© 2012 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
Comments and criticisms are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a really emotional chapter, I've been in a similar position and not knowing if the person you love will live is one of the hardest things in the world to deal with. Also, because I know this is the second part in a series and I haven't read the first I thought I'd be a lot more confused, but you did well in adding other information from your previous story and for that I'm glad.
Nicely done. I really enjoyed reading this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your review.
CLUTZ

11 Years Ago

No problem


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!

Reviews

This is a really emotional chapter, I've been in a similar position and not knowing if the person you love will live is one of the hardest things in the world to deal with. Also, because I know this is the second part in a series and I haven't read the first I thought I'd be a lot more confused, but you did well in adding other information from your previous story and for that I'm glad.
Nicely done. I really enjoyed reading this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your review.
CLUTZ

11 Years Ago

No problem
Really good but I feel like you should expand on the fact that he had a "premonition," because that's kind of rare/a big deal....

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the review and suggestions.
What a tragedy! This chapter sure brought tears to my eyes. The idea that Chrissy might leave this story is painful. I've gotten use to her and know her via your story. I'd really hate to see her leave so I'm hoping this is a temporary tragedy and she'll make it. A very emotional and powerful chapter!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thanks! This part jumps ahead into the future a little. I still have a few more chapters from befo.. read more
Chrissy can't die! :( keep posting!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You've gotten me worried, I really hope Chrissy pulls through. Anything else would be heartbreaking. This clearly proves how your writing has affected me already. You're a really good writer.

Fingers crossed for Chrissy!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chrissy can't die... You need to tell me what happens!!!!!!

This is really really well written. As with everything you write i really connected with the characters the emotions here.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Overall I like it, although you have a couple of extraneous (in my opinion) paragraphs.
I'd get rid of the paragraphs starting with:
"His partner shook..."
"Emily didn't really..."
Other than that, I feel like you have a talent for story-telling.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you were completely right this does remind me of my essay/short story. very well written. I am looking forward to yet another chapter. I enjoyed this piece.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

595 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 22, 2012
Last Updated on October 31, 2012
Tags: romance, love, motherhood


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..