Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Hakim
"

Getting to know the characters of Oakhill castle.

"

Oakhill Castle’s dining room was perhaps the biggest room in the entire building and it was filled. There was a platform where the royal family’s dinner table was laid out and it looked over the rest of the room imperiously. The rest of the room consisted of 3 long tables, all occupied by the King’s Knights. The Ministers sat at the royal table, along with the mountainous Prime Commander and the Princess’s Personal Guard as they were all people with superior titles.

The Princess’s Personal Guard - Steros Marx, was a good friend to the King. He had been watching over the Princess ever since she was a baby, and so far had done a good job of it. He had a bit of stubble on his face but was one of the more kind and better looking gentlemen that occupied the Royal table.

On the tables, there laid mouth-watering pallets. There was luscious roast beef, sizzling grilled chicken, tantalizing pork chops, shining roast potatoes and all manner of heavenly treats. The Knights were scoffing their food down with less etiquette than the royal family, but even then, only Princess Scarlett and Queen Esme were using their utensils and didn’t have food plastered all over their faces.

The room had hundreds of candles on the tables and walls, while on the ceiling was 4 huge candle lit chandeliers that magnificently dangled over everyone. There was a rumble of chatter throughout the dining room but the Kings voice could still be heard by everyone on his table. He decided that now would be the time to break the news to his children about visiting the village.  “Bertram, Scarlett,” he announced, “I have decided that it’s about time you visited Oakhill, its time you got to know your people and found out how everything works around here. You are both overdue this visit.”

Princess Scarlett had beautiful golden hair and eyes as green as emeralds. Her beauty could not be exaggerated as any compliment towards her would be very accurate, however she didn’t like the sound of her father’s order. “What! But father, isn’t it dangerous?” She exclaimed, “Can’t I be an exception, just this once?”

The King replied adamantly, “No, you will do what I ask of you. As a Princess it is a requirement that visits be made for certain reasons.” The Princess looked slightly nervous at the prospect of going down into a much poorer and under privileged part of town but the King went on. “It will not be dangerous, Steros will be by your side the entire time, along with myself, 20 armed men and your brother. It’s a royal visit, every King must make their family take part in these so that the people know and grow to love their monarchy. We must give them a good impression, and what better way than to use your innocent beauty”. Scarlett didn’t know whether to feel like she had just been complimented or she was simply being used by her own father. She sat there disappointed at being forced into something she was very uncomfortable with.

Her older brother, Prince Bertram whispered to her unkindly, “Ha-ha, too bad!”

He was a cruel, inconsiderate boy that loved to torment and tease whoever he could. He looked very much like his father but without the beard. Princess Scarlett ignored him as she had now become accustomed to her bratty and horrible brother.

King Vincent went on, “That brings me to you Bertram. You must be on your best behaviour. You mustn’t abuse or bully any of the villagers; you mustn’t torment or torture anyone. We want to give them a good impression. This is your future Kingdom and the people need to love you. Do you understand? If I hear of any discrepancies then I shall be very disappointed.” Bertram looked slightly heartbroken that he couldn’t be free to terrorise the villagers and Princess Scarlett shot him a look of satisfaction at his disappointment.

Princess Scarlett then turned to her Personal Guard, “How many times have you ever gone down to the village Steros?”

Steros tilted his head and thought for a moment before declaring, “I’ve been countless times, not sure how many exactly.”

She asked worriedly, “Is it dangerous? Do any of them seem… hateful?”

Steros smiled, “Princess relax, there is nothing to worry about. They’ve never stepped out of line before and they definitely won’t start now, not with an armed Guard of 20; besides the villagers are very fond of their monarchy. They hold you all in the highest of regards.” The Princess’s mind seemed to be set at ease and she continued with her meal.

Queen Esme then asked her husband, “When will they be going, will I be required to join?”

King Vincent replied swiftly, “Within the next few days, and no my dear. You are with child; I want you to stay here rested and safe.”

 “Very well,” the Queen replied compliantly, “But make sure you keep them safe.” She was very protective of her children; even Prince Bertram. The Queen was also very beautiful and despite expecting a child quite soon, she still looked radiant. Recently however she was growing slightly distant from her husband. They tended to argue for the smallest of reasons and at times they felt like strangers to each other. They tried to hide this from everyone else though.

The King responded with a tone of importance, “Of course my dear, their safety is my top priority.”

Bertram interrupted, “Father how often will we be required to go. I think that we should go down a lot, I feel that there’s a lot we can learn from them.” The Prince shot his younger sister Scarlett an evil grin as he knew she wasn’t keen on the idea.

His father replied, “Not too often I should think.”

Princess Scarlett scowled at her brother. She then turned to her personal guard and whispered, “What is wrong with that boy? Why is he always acting like that?”

Steros glared at the Prince whose evil grin vanished immediately. Steros was one of the few people Bertram could not abuse. “Don’t take any notice of him; he was probably dropped on his head a few times when he was a baby.”

Scarlett chuckled and carried on eating in a slightly better mood.

 

After the Royal family finished their meals they made their way back to their respective chambers. The Princess was still accompanied by Steros Marx, until she reached her room and then bid him farewell. The door was closed behind the Princess and her maid Pipper, a 20 year old scrawny girl with brown shaggy hair, was there to welcome her. “How was your meal your Highness?”

Princess Scarlett replied politely, “It was lovely.”

“Anything new happen today?” Pipper enquired.

Scarlett replied moodily, “My father has just informed me I have to make a visit to the village.”

Pipper looked very excited for the Princess, “That’s great news; you can finally get out of the castle and do something you might enjoy, meet new people.”

Princess Scarlett wasn’t sure, “I don’t know… I’m quite nervous. What do I say to them?”

Pipper smiled encouragingly, “I was raised in the village before my parents died remember. It’s really not that bad; in fact I know that they love the royal family. Just say whatever comes to you; you always have nice things to say about people. I just hope someone watches over your brother.”

The Princess smiled radiantly, “Thank you Pipper. You have a habit of saying things that really help… and someone will be watching over him. My father will be going as well.”

 “That should keep him in line.” Pipper said with a smirk.

Scarlett replied, “I hope so.” She then collapsed onto her bed and lay there for a moment.

Pipper began to draw a hot bath for the Princess who hoped the scented soaps and oils would give her a moment of stress free relaxation.

After a few moments Pipper returned and announced, “Your bath is ready Princess.” She also added, “Have you thought about what might happen down there. Who knows? You could meet a boy.” A flirty smile spread across Pipper’s face.

Princess Scarlett giggled, “Don’t be absurd, that’s ridiculous.”

Pipper giggled too, “All the boys will be made speechless by your beauty. I’m sure of it.”

Scarlett blushed, “I wouldn’t go that far.” She took a moment before adding, “Besides, I have to marry someone of noble blood, remember.”

Pipper replied calmly, “Well I’m just saying, going down to the village is something to look forward to, not something to fear.”

The Princess sighed, “Maybe you’re right. It sure would be wonderful to meet someone who isn’t as vile as my brother.”

Pipper smiled, “That’s the spirit, just think of all the possibilities and experiences that can come from it.”

The Princess wasn’t grudging this trip any more thanks to her maid and as she dipped into her warm bubbly bath, she was delighted it was just as relaxing as she hoped.


© 2015 Hakim


Author's Note

Hakim
All comments are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have read it and it still has my interest, I reserve the right to review this once you have more of the story. I am looking forward to the next chapter.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hakim

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the review Bear.
Progressing nicely and I am still interested.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hakim

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the review Willard.
Okay! This made me enough curious to await the meeting of Scarlet and Kane!
Very well done!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hakim

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the review Jyoti. Glad you dropped by :)
Jyoti_Ablaze

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
3 Reviews
Added on September 18, 2015
Last Updated on September 18, 2015
Tags: Castle, King, Princess, Royal Visit, War


Author

Hakim
Hakim

London, Barnet, United Kingdom



About
Aspiring author, recent graduate, love sports. Just looking for people to give me useful feedback and honest opinions. Let the reality checks commence! more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Hakim


A Guide to Survival A Guide to Survival

A Chapter by Hakim