It's a Plan

It's a Plan

A Chapter by Abbi

The next morning Jorlin threw on a cloak before descending to the first floor and striding out the door into the courtyard. The grass sparkled with dew from the rays of the early sun. The underbellies of the clouds were dark pink, and the lower eastern sky was tinted with gold. A light mist was settled on the ground; it seemed to cling to the battlements and the men who waded through it.

After descending the steps that led to the castle, she recognized Willan plodding through the mist with an armload of firewood and a young man to his left with one as well.

“Will,” greeted Jorlin as they met at the bottom of the steps.

His eye lit up with recognition. “Oh, Jorlin.”

“Do you know what’s the best way to get to the barracks and the army camp?” she asked.

“My squire, Merik, can show you the way,” he offered.

The young man bowed. His face was static.

“That won’t be necessary,” she quickly said. “Just… I just need… Never mind. Sorry.”

Willan nodded, a bit confused. “Alright. If you go out the main gate there’s a path that leads to the barracks. Follow that, and you’ll be fine.” He dipped his head slightly. “Farewell.”

“Thank you,” she muttered as he walked past her.

She started out for the barracks at a brisk walk, passing though the main gate and following the path that Willan had mentioned. It had deep ruts from wagon wheels sunken into the soil. Several men passed her on her way there, most of them soldiers.

After a long period of time, she entered the camp, still on the path. The soldiers eyed her curiously as they went about their business. As she surveyed the men around her, she realized that they all had something in common; they all had the same rough, forlorn countenance. Some of their eyes were glazed over for want of a good night’s sleep. Young and old seemed to carry a mutual unspoken burden. They looked miserable, and Jorlin knew that she needed to save Asher and Tholan from becoming like them.

When she finally entered the building, she noticed that it had the same musky feel as inside the castle.

Once she got started, it was easier than she expected to go about the building, inquiring the whereabouts of her two friends. Even after two hours, she had gotten nowhere. After that, she tried her luck with the camp outside. Three, unfruitful hours passed. Ancis was right; it was impossible to find someone in the camp.


Later that day, when Jorlin was back at the castle, she busied herself by sparring with Ancis. She had taught him everything she’d learned from Asher, and he in turn showed her a few tips and tricks concerning swordplay. She found it was a good way to keep her mind off everything.

Later on, Ancis gave her a tour of the second floor, and showed her the suits of armor and racks of weapons. Out of all the weapons in the castle’s arsenal, Jorlin’s favorite remained the longsword. The page seemed to have an expansive knowledge of everything about knighthood.

“And this is called a ‘vambrace,’” said Ancis, pointing to the forearm piece of armor on a table.

“What’s this?” Jorlin asked, holding up a round plate with straps on the back.

“That’s a cuisse,” he answered. “It goes on your thigh.”

She nodded, making sure to absorb the information.

“By the way, I think I’ve found a chance for you to finally find out what Clovis and Slater are up to,” he said.

Her face brightened. “What is it?”

“Well, Clovis and Slater are going to discuss something over a private dinner in Clovis’s quarters, tomorrow night. I have reason to believe that it’s quite important.”

“And you think they might talk about me?” she asked.

He nodded. “There’s usually two guards posted at the interior side of the door. If we’re clever enough, then we could find a way for you to pose as one of them.”

“Excellent!” she exclaimed. “I’m itching to finally find out something. This castle is crawling with secrets.”

“All the armor you’d need is right in this room,” he continued, motioning around him. “The guards change shifts usually at around six-ish. If you can get into place at the right time, then you’re golden.”

“Perfect. I’ll meet you here tomorrow evening in this room.”

Ancis nodded. “It’s a plan.”



© 2015 Abbi


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on May 18, 2015
Last Updated on May 18, 2015


Author

Abbi
Abbi

Writing
Sides of War Sides of War

A Book by Abbi


Simple Life Simple Life

A Chapter by Abbi


Like Home Like Home

A Chapter by Abbi