Buttercup Sea

Buttercup Sea

A Chapter by Aekmy

“My backyard is a sea of buttercup flowers. You have to come lay in them with me.” Blake whispered into the handheld. She sounded pumped.

“Alright, babe. I’ll be over there in fifteen minutes.” I shook my head at her enthusiasm.

“Sweet. Okay, I love you.” She hung up immediately. In the beginning of our relationship, I wondered why she did that (sometimes it bothered me), but recently I figured out why. She has a problem with people showing her affection. I usually tell her I love her once or twice in two days. It isn’t enough for me, but it suites her fancy.

            After putting on suitable clothes, I hopped in my truck and sped off to her little house. It wasn’t until I looked at the clock on the dashboard that I realized what time it was. I wondered if she was already dressed for school or not. I'd bet she was. She was rarely not prepared. 

            Fifteen minutes later, the tires of my truck ka-thunked across her drive way. As I was pulling the key out, I saw her peep out of the red front door. She was completely dressed in her favorite pair of skinny jeans, floral flannel, and converses. Her backpack bounced on her hips as she walked. I took her things from her and threw them in the bed. We entangled each other in a huge hug. She broke away more quickly than usual.

"Come on!" She pulled me by my fingers toward the yard. Blake was caught up in gazing at the sky. I took the advantage and pulled her down on top of me. She shrieked and smiled, falling down. 

           We both sighed and rolled on our backs. She reached for my hand and I gladly obliged. Blake started humming a familiar tune. It was the rhythm to a song she had written and played on her guitar. I listened, letting it take me off to a far away place. Her voice was purer than a birds whistle. I could listen to her sing all day. All sense of time seemed to be thrown away when we were with each other. 

         Her light and happy mood completely killed the question.

"I wonder what it would be like to die." She cocked her head to the side, watching a bird fly.

"That's a bit morbid, don't you think?"

"It happens everyday, Jared. Just think about it." She reasoned.

"I'd rather not."

"Why?" She propped herself up on her elbows and stared at me.

"It's morbid." I continued to look at the blue sky. If I looked into her eyes, I would loose my focus.

"Well, of course it is, but it's a part of life. I think it could be peaceful."

"Now you've got to explain that one to me." I could hear her smile as she thought about her answer.

"If you've had a difficult life, death could be the easy way out for you. A way to release the pain from your heart. If you've had an easier life, death could be your greatest accomplishment. You have done so much in your life and now you get to rest in God's hands for eternity. How sweet will that be?"

"I love listening to you." 

"I know." She giggled. "Even though I'm having a great time laying here, I think we should get going." She ran her fingers through her silky hair, waiting for me. I should be so lucky. 

I glanced at my watch. "Darn, you're right. Okay, let's go." I jumped up first so I could help her, but she was already half way there. I wrapped my hands around her waist and spun as fast as I could. The whole world blended into two colors: her red hair flying around my face and the green of the trees in the background. When we finally stopped, she was doubled over laughing and my breakfast was threatening to come up. She turned around, hysterical, until she saw my face.

"Are you okay, babe?" Her face turned serious as she picked hair out of her face.

"Yeah." I coughed. "I'll be okay." I smiled and she punched my stomach. I lunged for her, but she was a step ahead of me and a quarter of the way to the truck. I chased her, but she beat me there. 

         In the car, she wrapped her fingers around my arm and slept until we arrived at school. I shook her gently until she woke up once we were there. 

"Ugh. School." She grunted. I laughed at her as we walked into the front doors.

"Only two years left, baby, and we get to run away together."

"I know." She smiled that sweet smile of hers, kissed my cheek, and walked off. She always left me stunned. 



© 2010 Aekmy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
Added on April 29, 2010
Last Updated on April 30, 2010


Author

Aekmy
Aekmy

There is beauty is uniqueness. Embrace the strange or perish in the ordinary.



About
"Leaving the page of the book carelessly open, something unsaid, the phone off the hook and the love, whatever it was, an infection. - Anne Sexton" more..

Writing
0003 0003

A Story by Aekmy