The Door

The Door

A Story by Aidan
"

Experimental

"

John slammed the huge metal door that must have been triple his age. He had done this for years, so long in fact that he could no longer re-call his first time he had opened that door. Was the sun out at that time? No! He thought, it was a winter night, one of which was bitter, or was it a summer night that had been so hot he thought the cold air inside was bitter?

Did it matter now, it had been far too many years since that day. So many events had occurred, yet this had been the one thing in his life that had been stable, one point in time and space that he knew was always there, no matter what happened. His wife had given birth twice, yet the door was still there.

His kids learned to walk, talk, play and become more human everyday. The door still existed everyday.

His dad had died in a horrific car crash, he was by his dads side in that hospital when the heart monitor stopped...beep, the high pitched daggers, he hated the sound..beep, he wanted to smash the machine...beep, he looked at the machine with hatred for that sound, it was almost deafening...beep, could he turn the sound?.........the silence passed. He starred at the machine and started crying "please beep!".

Yet the door was still there the day he went back. Its Metal had rusted over time, many people had commented it over time. How that rust and worn look detracted from the neighborhood. He felt differently, he felt the door had aged with him, the rust was his grey hair exploding on his head.


He was still walking away on this winter night, one lamp over head shining down on him, lighting the ground.

He turned to look at the door, it had an orange glow against the concrete backdrop. His footsteps leading back to the door, marking where he had come from. He carried on his journey home.


He returned to the door the next day,

and the next,

and the next.  

© 2014 Aidan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on January 29, 2014
Last Updated on January 29, 2014

Author

Aidan
Aidan

Dublin, Dublin , Ireland



About
Hello! I'm Aidan, currently residing in Ireland in body but am residing everywhere when it comes to imagination!...ok, that sounded weird even for me. more..

Writing
Surgeon Surgeon

A Story by Aidan