2. The Girl

2. The Girl

A Chapter by Abram Heron
"

Isaac meets Maria

"
Isaac returned to his truck, feeling exhausted but relieved. He knew he had done a good thing, and now all he wanted was a hot cup of coffee and some rest. He drove towards the nearest diner, looking forward to the moment when he could finally sit back and relax. As he walked into the diner, the smell of coffee and freshly baked pastries flooded his senses, making his mouth water. The place was packed, but Isaac managed to find a small booth at the back. He sat down and hung his head wearily, feeling the adrenaline rush from his earlier heroics now replaced with a physical exhaustion. 

As he sipped his coffee, his mind wandered to the woman with the child. He couldn't help but wonder what their story was, and how they would have coped if he hadn't been there to save them. With a heavy sigh, Isaac rubbed his eyes, feeling drained from the day's events.

Suddenly, he felt a tap on his shoulder. He looked up to see a woman standing there, her eyes filled with gratitude. "Excuse me," she said softly, "but I just wanted to thank you again for what you did back there. You saved our lives."

Isaac felt a warmth spread through his chest at her words. "It's no problem," he replied with a small smile. "I'm just glad I could help." 

The woman introduced herself as Maria and sat down opposite him. She was around his age, with long brown hair that fell in loose waves around her shoulders. Her dark brown eyes sparkled with gratitude as she spoke, and Isaac found himself drawn to her.

As they talked, Isaac learned that Maria was a single mother, who had been struggling to make ends meet after her husband had died in a car accident. She had been working at the convenience store to make enough money to support herself and her young daughter, Rosie. 

Isaac listened to Maria's story with compassion, feeling a strong connection to this woman whom he had never met before. He was touched by her strength and determination, and felt honored that she had trusted him enough to share her life story. 

At the end of their conversation, without even thinking about it, Isaac found himself asking Maria if she would like to meet up again sometime. She paused for a moment before smiling and nodding her head. She said that she would love the chance to introduce him to Rosie, so they could thank him properly for his bravery. Isaac beamed with joy at the prospect of meeting Rosie and thanked Maria for the invitation. They exchanged numbers before saying goodbye, with both of them looking forward to what the future would bring.

As Isaac walked out of the diner, he felt a newfound sense of hope and optimism. He had only been in town for a few hours, yet something about it already made him feel at home. But his newfound optimism soon dissipated when he heard someone calling out to him.


© 2023 Abram Heron


Author's Note

Abram Heron
Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on April 23, 2023
Last Updated on April 25, 2023
Tags: coffee, conversation, diner, relationships, love


Author

Abram Heron
Abram Heron

San Antonio, TX



About
You could say I’m an aspiring young author with a vicarious desire for chasing storms. I’ve had this story bouncing around my head for years and now I am trying to write its draft. I am a.. more..

Writing
1. The Storm 1. The Storm

A Chapter by Abram Heron


3. The Offer 3. The Offer

A Chapter by Abram Heron