Stumbling

Stumbling

A Chapter by Emily Rose
"

Zayric reveals his more human side we're introduced to the Beast Prince.

"

 My dear brother,

 

I sincerely wish I could bear you good news this week, but, alas, I cannot. Mother and Father constantly chastise me for my refusal to find any of their “eligible young ladies” to be of even the slightest interest. It appears to me that few of these prospects ever consider actually using their brains (assuming they retain the capability to do so) and the ones who do tend to be boorish, aloof or generally unpleasant. Last week Mother and Father invited half the kingdom to yet another grand ball, during which I was forced to dance with all but a few of the girls present. I am sure that you would have loved it, Cleven. The courtly side of palace life always did suit you better than it ever has me.

Day by day I begin to lose hope that our parents’ wild attempts to force me to fall in love, even if it is for your sake, will ever succeed. The more the pressure mounts, the harder it is for me to respond to any stimulus and the colder I appear to the outside world. Am I really that hard-hearted? As I have told you many times before, I never wanted this to happen. One day soon I will discover how to resolve all of this, but now no end seems visible. Forgive me, Cleven, but I am lost.

With any luck, tomorrow I will obtain Father’s permission to ride out to visit you. He tells me that not long ago you and he agreed to send human company to you to ease your mind. If I have not arrived already before you have a chance to establish contact with me, please tell me how you find your new guests, though hopefully soon I will be able to meet them myself. Take care of yourself, Cleven. I couldn’t bear to lose you.

 

Prince Zayric looked forlornly down at this letter and pondered over what he should write next. Although he loved his brother very much and missed him terribly, his thoughts had never translated well onto paper. He knew he could write about a multitude of events, but many of them seemed too mundane or superficial to warrant space it would fill on the page. Sighing, he concluded his letter with nothing further than a closing and signed his name with a small flourish. He carefully rolled the parchment and tied it with a sturdy cord before rising to deliver it into the beak of one of the palace finches.

The cool morning air nipped teasingly at his cloak as he walked briskly to the extravagant menagerie where his purple finches flew contentedly around the high pen they shared, free from the company of any other intruder save Zayric and the contentious man who provided their daily seed. Zayric allowed himself a brief smile as he entered the sanctuary and extended a hand to stroke one of the brilliant birds that was resting on one of the lower beams; it chirped melodiously in return. Scooping the small bird into his cupped hands, he held it close to his chest as he took it out into the frosty air. The finch cooed softly as the prince attached his message to its leg. “Take this to Cleven’s castle. You know where.” He whispered to it, opening his hands to let it spread its wings and flutter away. He knew the bird couldn’t actually understand his words but in his darker moments he sometimes found himself wishing that he could have magicked his birds to fly true every time he sent a letter. He did not linger on this idea now, however, and Zayric’s grey-blue eyes followed the little herald until it disappeared into the darkening clouds. He sighed, made a swift about-face and stalked back into the warmth and brightness of the palace.

 

*

 

The seconds of frozen tension between Ellyra’s piercing scream and Cypress and Tam’s reentrance into her room filled the poor Dove with more terror than she had ever previously imagined. The threatening creature facing her appeared hideous in the half- light; matted, black fur covered its face and body. Its eyes were closed and its face contorted as if in pain, exaggerating the peculiarity of its hairy features.  It loomed over her, nearly twice the size of a full grown man when it stood erect, though at first glance she suspected that its front paws could double as front feet.

After what felt to Ellyra to be an eon Cypress and Tam charged through the door once more, Tam’s borrowed sword glinting in the candle light. Tam dove straight for Ellyra’s attacker while Cypress immediately leapt in front of her, shielding her with his body. The girl trembled, peeking out from behind Cypress in time to see the monster snarl.

“Stop!” A commanding voice ordered. For the first time, Ellyra noticed the female ghost that had been floating in the enormous creature’s shadow. Now she darted in front of the monster, arms thrown out to cover as much of him as she could, as if she could act in the same role as Cypress had for Ellyra. “Wandering guests, how is it that you dare to assault the master of this house with his own blade?”

Tam stood motionless for a few seconds before dropping the point of the weapon and extending his free arm out as far as he could. “I… deeply, deeply apologize, sir.” He said humbly, bowing, though he never took his eyes off the beast. Behind him, Cypress bowed slightly as well, though his was much stiffer. “This young lady’s scream led us to believe that she was in danger,” Tam went on, “but we certainly have no wish to jeopardize the master whose food we’ve eaten and whose beds we’ve borrowed.”

“Beds seem not to be the only thing you’ve borrowed.” The ghost observed disapprovingly, eyeing the stolen blade that Tam still held and pushing her insubstantial glasses up her semi-transparent nose.

“Enough, Tasmine.” A gravelly baritone voice rumbled from the corner.

For an instant Ellyra wondered who was speaking but soon realized that the creature must have silenced the ghost. She allowed herself to relax; his growl had scared her, but his voice didn’t seem unpleasant.

“Now…” the creature resumed, “if you wouldn’t mind, could you please douse your candle? I apologize for the darkness in this place, but my eyes are very sensitive to light and too much too suddenly causes me great pain.”

A wave of guilt rose in her stomach, filtering up through her cheeks in a burning blush. “I… I’m sorry…” she blew out the candle and shuddered in the sudden darkness. Cypress drew level with her and moved close enough so his shoulder touched hers in a reassuring gesture for which she could not even begin to explain her gratitude.

The gleaming yellow eyes reopened and its gaze fixed upon her. “No, it is I who am sorry.” The creature apologized. “Both for growling at you and for this inconvenience. Now… another favor. I regret that I don’t know your name, but before telling you mine, please relinquish my sword. Just dropping it on the floor will probably be the safest way, I believe.”

Tam hesitated, eyeing the beast’s long, glimmering teeth.

 “I swear I won’t hurt you.” The creature reassured him. “Tasmine, my head housekeeper, is rather miffed at your entering without permission, and though I agree with some of her sentiments I understand and forgive you.”

Tam didn’t immediately let go of the sword after this statement, but within thirty seconds the clattering noise on the floor signified that he had fulfilled the request.

“Thank you. Your trust is greatly appreciated.” The beast said, moving forward to reclaim his fallen blade.

“Though not entirely necessary.” Tasmine muttered under what would have been her breath if she still retained the capability to breathe.

“Now, now. These are our guests Tasmine. We must greet them warmly and welcome them.” The beast chided his subordinate.

“Guests who eat the Master’s feast and sleep in his bed at night?” The skeptical ghost challenged, casting a glance at the willowy girl.

Ellyra opened her mouth to apologize but the master of the house was too engaged in conversation with his housekeeper to allow her enough time to do so.

“If you must know, I asked for more food than usual tonight so they could be well fed and it’s the most natural thing in the world that two chivalrous young men would surrender the best bed in the house to the lady. I’m only sorry I disturbed their slumber.”

“As you say, Master. But I notice that you haven’t mentioned your name, nor have they disclosed theirs.”

“Ah… it is so. Forgive me, guests.” The creature said, facing them. “I seem to have broken the first rule of protocol in meeting new people, though I admit that in this case the circumstances are strange. My name is Cleven.”

“Cleven…” Ellyra gasped. “Cleven the lost prince!” She curtsied clumsily, trying to keep the ripped part of her dress from tearing any further while she completed the action.

Cleven sighed sadly. “Unfortunately so, my lady. And please, the formality is unnecessary.”

“But does that mean that the stories are true?” She asked, aghast. “With the Fairy Queen and the curse and all?”

“I’ve been living in this castle for so long, I don’t even know what rumors are being spread.” Cleven answered helplessly. “But I can tell you the true version of the story tomorrow morning over breakfast if you like. But right now I think that we all need a fair amount of sleep. But first… please introduce yourselves. I couldn’t stand going to bed without knowing the names of my guests.”

“My name is Cypress Crossvine. It’s an honor to meet you, Prince Cleven.” Cypress said, bowing slightly.

Tam scoffed. “Forgive his formality, if you please. He’s still trying to work courtly manners out of his system. I’m Tamarisk, or Tam, whichever you prefer.”

“And I… I’m Ellyra Sweetspire.”

“Well then, lady Ellyra and masters Cypress and Tamarisk, I am very pleased to meet you and I bid you good night and wish you a less broken sleep then you’ve had this evening. It appears that we have much to talk about come tomorrow morning.” Cleven padded over to the door and opened it. “Tasmine will go ahead of you and light a few of the lamps so that you may see.”

“Wait!” Ellyra cried as Tam and Cypress’ footsteps began to cross the floor. “Aren’t I in your bed?” She asked the prince. “I couldn’t stand taking it from you…”

“Don’t trouble yourself about it,” Cleven responded from the doorway. “Your friends had the right idea offering it to you and now I will do the same. Sleep well, lady Ellyra.”

In light of the circumstances and because she suddenly found herself indescribably tired, Ellyra proceeded to do just that.

 

*

 

The next morning came too early but when the rays flitting across the bedroom eventually stirred Ellyra from her dreams she smiled on the new dawn, well rested and rejuvenated from a wonderful night’s rest.

“Oh good, you’re awake.” Tasmine greeted her crisply, hovering lightly near the bed. “The master would be pleased to share breakfast with you and his other two guests, when they awaken. Do you have anything to wear?”

Ellyra fumbled her way out of the silken sheets and looked at herself, cheeks reddening slightly as the disheveled state of her still torn gown. “I… I’m afraid not. Had I planned this journey I would’ve brought extra clothes but…” she broke off, pushing yesterday’s experience with the criminals out of her mind. “I don’t suppose you have many girls’ clothes in the castle, do you?”

“We do have a few dresses, in fact.” Tasmine returned thoughtfully, looking her over. “I doubt we have any in your size, though. But no matter. Marina is a genius with a needle. I’m sure she can work something out for you and have you downstairs in time for breakfast.” Tasmine floated over to the open door and clapped her ghostly hands twice.

“Who’s Marin-” Ellyra began, but stopped when an elegant young ghost floated in through the door.

“You needed me, mistress?” She asked Tasmine, curtsying gracefully.

“Yes. Fix this young lady’s dress and take down her size. I want her in new clothes by this afternoon.” Tasmine ordered, gesturing to the bewildered girl.

“Yes mistress. Right away.”

Tasmine nodded curtly and addressed Ellyra as Marina scurried about with the needle, thread and tape measure she’d produced from somewhere in the folds of her gown. “I’ll be downstairs making sure the cooks have everything under control. The Master will be ready in an hour; I believe his other guests will be ready by then as well.” She drifted away, muttering as she left. “Or at least they will if they know what’s good for them.”

When the housekeeper had floated noiselessly down the hallway Ellyra dared to breathe normally and looked curiously at the new ghost. She was at least twenty years younger than Tasmine, frizzy haired and bright eyed. Her semi-transparent fingers worked her needle with skill and ease; in no time the unseemly rip was expertly sewn. Ellyra followed the young seamstress’ quiet instructions, lifting her arms and turning her body as necessary when the ghost asked her to do so. When she judged the Marina was almost finished with her estimations, Ellyra dared to ask the question that had been bothering her through the whole ordeal.

Marina? How did you come so quickly when Tasmine called you?”

Marina looked up, her soft eyes glinting in the morning light, hinting at vague shades of blue. “It’s a… ghost thing I suppose.” She responded faintly. “We have good hearing, especially to noises made on our own plane. But… I admit my swiftness mostly had to do with my proximity at the time.” The ethereal girl straightened up, giving her subject a final looking over. “I think I can work with this. I’ll come and find you sometime this afternoon with a new dress for you to wear, but for now you’ll just have to make do with this one.”

“Thank you so much.” Ellyra responded gratefully. “I wish there was something I could do to repay you.”

Marina laughed lightly and shook her head, waving her frizzy ponytail from side to side. For an instant, Ellyra thought that the wavy locks suggested shades of brown, but the Marina’s ghostly pallor quickly overrode the idea. “Don’t think about that! It’ll be enough payment for me to see the smile on the prince’s face when he sees you in your new clothes. The Master hasn’t smiled in the longest time… it’s good for him to have company.”

“How long has he been alone in this castle?” Ellyra asked, then quickly amended, “Not… alone… but… without other humans.”

“He’s as good as alone even with all of us.” Marina responded. “We’re just his staff, after all. He talks to us sometimes, but we’re not as good as real company.” Her ghostly chest heaved in a breathless sigh. “I do feel sorry for him.”

“Do you know how long he’ll be like this?”

“No one does. But we’re all afraid that if the enchantment isn’t broken soon he’ll stay like this.”

“What enchantment?” Ellyra questioned, eyes bright with curiosity.

Marina hesitated. “I can’t tell you that, Ellyra. I’m sorry. The Master can tell you if he wishes, but it’s not my place.”

“Oh.” She floundered. “I-I hope I’ll suffice then. For company I mean.”

“I’m sure you will. But come, I’ll show you the way to the dining hall where the cooks are working on breakfast.”

 

*

 

“Ah, that was satisfying.” Tam declared, pushing his empty plate away from him.

Cleven chuckled, letting forth a deep purr-like growl in his throat. “There’s more here if you like, Tamarisk.”

“Oh no, I should be quite satisfied until my next breakfast.” Tam insisted, yawning.

“By which you mean early lunch.” Cypress translated, rolling his eyes. “Some things never change.”

“I’m a big man, Cy.” Tam informed him sweetly. “Big men need much more food. But we couldn’t expect you to know much about that, could we?”

“And to think, just yesterday you claimed to be a ‘growing boy.’ It’s a pity you can’t seem to make up you mind.” Cypress shot back.

“Now, now, children. Let’s not argue.” Cleven said bemusedly, nodding his beastly head to one of the ghosts to clear away the empty plates and other miscellaneous dishes. “We have much to talk about.”

“We certainly do.” Cypress agreed. “I believe our first priority should be devising a way to get this young lady back home.” He gestured to Ellyra who smiled faintly and looked up to thank the ghost who was clearing the table.

“I thought about that a bit this morning, actually.” Cleven said. “As my ghosts tell me you’ve noticed, I have a small conservatory of messenger finches. Unfortunately they’re trained only to go from my castle to my father’s and back, but I have a few of them that should be smart enough to find your manor. We’ll just have to send out a letter and keep you here until we receive a reply.”

“Won’t that require telling everyone at the manor where you are?” Ellyra asked doubtfully.

“Not necessarily. When we get a reply we’ll know that your caretakers are no longer worried about you and from there we’ll devise a way to get you home without breaking too many of my father’s rules. Does that sound fair?”

“Anything you would do for me is fair, Prince Cleven.” Ellyra murmured modestly, keeping her eyes trained on her lap.

“Please… don’t treat me so formally.” Cleven entreated.

“You’re my guests, that is true, and the ghosts call me Master, but I’m really no better off than you are. My blood entitles me to a title, and that is all. My brother is the crown prince and one day he will become king, but that doesn’t mean that I’m any better or worse than you are. Being a prince doesn’t change your life; just the way you live it.”

“Well said, sir.” Cypress said admiringly. “Were I royalty I would strive to live by the very same code.”

“But we tarry, talking of philosophy. Come, Lady Ellyra. I’ll show you to my writing room and there you can compose a letter to your family.” Cleven pushed away from the table to stand erect on his hind paws. Ellyra followed and hurried to stand beside the towering beast.

“Will you be all right?” She asked Tam and Cypress.

“Yes indeed.” Tam responded, smiling. “I aim to scout out the surrounding forest a little later this afternoon. With any luck I won’t get lost again.”

“Ah, by all means, if it’s your pleasure to take a walk, I suggest you take one of the finches with you to keep on your shoulder. If you get lost, let him fly home to the castle and follow him. I shall leave the conservatory open for you to take one at your leisure.” Cleven told him graciously.

“I thank you, sir.” Tam replied humbly. “What about you, Cy? What’s your plan for today?”

“I think for this morning I’ll keep to the room our host has so generously provided us. Though my mouth found breakfast delicious, I believe my stomach rather disagrees with it.”

“Don’t you feel well, Cypress?” Ellyra asked sympathetically.

“Don’t worry yourself, my lady.” Cypress reassured her. “Perhaps it is just the Calassian air that disagrees with me.”

“I’ll accompany you, Cy.” Tam offered. “We need to talk a bit anyway.”

“Thank you Tam.” Cypress answered, nodding a little. “We’ll see the two of you a little later, I presume. Perhaps at lunch?”

“That sounds about right. Ellyra, I shall take you on an in-depth tour of the castle until then when you’re finished writing your letter.”

“That would be lovely!” Ellyra exclaimed. She glanced at Cypress. “I hope you feel better.”

“It’s nothing, my lady.” Cypress assured her. “I’m sure I’ll recover in a few days if not before then.”

Despite his confident words, Ellyra couldn’t help worrying about her new friend as he stumbled up the stairs.



© 2008 Emily Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh, I'm worried. I hate it when stories get all these complications when things are going so well. Well, no. That's not true. I don't hate it. Not really. But...gah!

The first paragraph of this story started out a little roughly--there were several minor typos that were made in just such a way as to cause a lot of confusion, but I liked seeing the softer side of Zayric's nature. And I do have to say, I'm kind of mad at the fairy queen for cursing Cleven, who obviously didn't do anything, and seems like a pretty okay guy. I'm hoping that there'll be more depth to him later--right now, he seems very reserved and his only distinguishing characteristic is his politeness, but I'm sure that will change eventually. We DID just meet him, after all.

I LOVED the reaction of the three travelers when they found out who it was 'threatening' Ellyra. It seemed very realistic--the embarrassment that they must have felt came through really clearly, and it made me giggle a bit, just because that would be a really AWKWARD situation to be in.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh, I'm worried. I hate it when stories get all these complications when things are going so well. Well, no. That's not true. I don't hate it. Not really. But...gah!

The first paragraph of this story started out a little roughly--there were several minor typos that were made in just such a way as to cause a lot of confusion, but I liked seeing the softer side of Zayric's nature. And I do have to say, I'm kind of mad at the fairy queen for cursing Cleven, who obviously didn't do anything, and seems like a pretty okay guy. I'm hoping that there'll be more depth to him later--right now, he seems very reserved and his only distinguishing characteristic is his politeness, but I'm sure that will change eventually. We DID just meet him, after all.

I LOVED the reaction of the three travelers when they found out who it was 'threatening' Ellyra. It seemed very realistic--the embarrassment that they must have felt came through really clearly, and it made me giggle a bit, just because that would be a really AWKWARD situation to be in.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 17, 2008
Last Updated on July 22, 2008


Author

Emily Rose
Emily Rose

Mansfield, PA



About
Hey everyone! I'm back for the summer, so hopefully I'll be able to get back into my normal reviewing habits! I'm going to try to return reviews to people who review my work, and you can always se.. more..

Writing
Madness Madness

A Poem by Emily Rose


Fireworks Fireworks

A Poem by Emily Rose