Beauty and Grace

Beauty and Grace

A Chapter by Emily Rose
"

Guests visit!

"

“Careful, Lady Ellyra! You’re about to stumble.”

            Ellyra paused, narrowly avoiding stepping into a small, muddy ditch. “Oh, I’m sorry. I was just enjoying the scenery. Your lands are beautiful! It’s like a garden everywhere, except it’s in the forest.”

             “That was the intent. The ghosts take wonderful care of the property. I’m only just now realizing that I don’t visit it nearly often enough.”

            “What do you do all day, then?” Ellyra asked curiously, “If you don’t enjoy all this beauty?”

            “A good question,” Cleven responded thoughtfully. “I’m rather boring, I’m afraid. I spend much of my time writing letters to the outside know I’m still alive and well. I also read and talk to the ghosts…” He sighed. “There was a time when I could play music as well, but I’m afraid these inhibit practice now.” The prince held up his front paws, which looked a lot like hands covered in layers of thick, dark brown fur until one noticed the long, deadly claws protruding from each “finger.”

Ellyra gulped and reached out her hand to touch Cleven’s. “I could trim these for you, if you like.” She told him softly. “Everyone should be able to play music.”

“That’s a remarkably kind offer, Lady Ellyra.” Cleven remarked with a hint of a smile. “Unfortunately, my eyes’ sensitivity to firelight may also prove hazardous, but I might have to take you up on it, provided your rescue party takes its time about getting here.”

“About that…” Ellyra shifted uncomfortably. “It may take a while for them to notice and care that I’m gone. It could be a long time before anyone finds me. And supposing they get lost in the forest? That would be horrible.”

“It would,” Cleven agreed, stroking his chin. “Though I’m not quite sure how to remedy it. Perhaps Tamarisk and Cypress would be willing to make periodic trips into the forest with purple finches to guide their way back.” As is on cue, a dot of purple winged overhead and dove home to the aviary.

“If Cypress feels better.” Ellyra put in quickly.

“Yes. But I forgot to mention, there is one other thing that I do in my imprisonment here. Ah! Here we are.” The two companions had reached a small, wooden shed near the back of the castle. The beast prince opened the lock with a small iron key and pulled back the door.

“Wow…” Ellyra breathed.

Row upon row of beautiful swords glimmered in the afternoon sunlight, all of them well-made. A few Ellyra recognized as dull training swords, like the ones often used by the boys at the manor to practice their skills. Even the training swords were lovely, though; they were well equipped with soft, but firm grips that fit well into one’s hand and well-kept blades that had just the right amount of give. Ellyra reached for one of these and withdrew it, admiring its weight and its feel. “It’s a beautiful instrument.” She told Cleven. “Where did you get all of this?”

“The palace stores, mostly. My father keeps me well stocked. You look at them with a keen eye. Have I really been imprisoned so long that suddenly young ladies have taken up swordsmanship?”

Ellyra bowed her head in embarrassment. “I’m not really supposed to.” Ellyra confessed. “But my best friend’s father taught her and me the basics and sometimes we practice with each other. She’s much better at it than I am, though.”

“You sound like me and my brother. Zayric is the real master of this art. My skill doesn’t even begin to match his, and I probably practice more than he does.”

“I’m sure Prince Zayric is quite good at all he does, unless it’s socialize with other people.” Ellyra responded bitterly, but then she realized to whom she spoke, and gasped. “I’m sorry! I meant no offense to your family, Prince Cleven.”

A low, gritty sound rumbled from Cleven’s throat and at first Ellyra feared that the Prince was growling at her, but after a minute of his failure to reprimand her, she realized that he was chuckling. “No, no, Lady Ellyra. You’re quite right. My brother is a rather solitary creature and his social skills are something to be desired.”

“They’re certainly desired by a lot of girls in the kingdom. My stepsister danced with him at a ball a few weeks ago and she won’t shut up about it.”

“Yes, he was blessed with a certain charm.” Cleven agreed, picking up one of the practice blades and turning it over in his paw. “Though I’m sure he would call it a curse. Many a boy in the court is jealous of him for the power he holds over most females, and they’re driven particularly mad because he never uses it. If he would just pick one, perhaps the rest would get over him and appreciate the others more.”

“Not most females.” Ellyra said definitively. “Only the shallow ones.”

“Some of the shallow ones, perhaps.” Cleven conceded. “But there are other desirable traits about him. His loyalty, for example. He has never failed me all these many years.”

“But he loves you.” Ellyra pointed out. “It’s easy to be loyal to those we love.”

“You speak wisely, my lady, but love is not a simple thing, is it? It takes time.”

“And effort.”

Cleven replaced the practice sword and retrieved a sharpened one, selecting an oiled cloth from within the shed, he began to absently polish the blade. “Effort? Does one ever really try to fall in love?”

Ellyra was silent for a few moments. “No.” She concluded. “I suppose not.”

“Someday someone will come along who exceeds all of Zayric’s expectations and though he might fight it tooth and nail, he’ll find himself caring about her. It’ll certainly take a while at the rate that he’s going, but eventually it’ll happen.”

“But what if it doesn’t happen soon enough?” Ellyra asked the prince softly. “What will happen to you?”

“I am perfectly capable of handling whatever fate wills.” Cleven told her firmly, his eyes set in determination. “Man or beast, I will always have the same spirit. I only wish I could make my brother understand that. It’s not fair that he has such a great weight on his shoulders now.”

“It’s not fair for you to be trapped in this form either, though.” Ellyra said sadly. “I wish I could help.”

“Oh, but you are helping, Ellyra. You’re helping more than you know. Just your presence has been uplifting.”

A light crimson flush crossed Ellyra’s features. “I’m glad. You seemed so lonely. Don’t you ever get any company?”

            “The ghosts aren’t bad company, just a little melancholy themselves. Then again, I’d be rather melancholy if I were called from whatever it is that happens after death to be a servant to a cursed prince, wouldn’t you?”

            “I guess I never thought about it like that.” Ellyra admitted. “But what about human company?”

            “No one really knows I’m here, you must remember. Father didn’t even let the court know. Of course, the rumors went around, but no one is really allowed here, not that anyone can really find it. I’m still amazed that you found it yourself; there’s a powerful spell around this whole area that’s supposed to ward off unwanted visitors. I think my parents forced their fairy visitors to cast it before they turned them out. Anyway, brother is the only one allowed to visit me.” It was hard for Ellyra to tell when the prince was smiling, but now his eyes smiled for him.

            “He’s coming soon, isn’t he?” Ellyra remember suddenly. “You were answering one of his letters.”

            “Oh, yes! Any day now. But don’t worry about him. I’m sure he’ll be civil. And if he’s not, I’ll make him be.”

            “Can anyone control the marvelous Zayric?” Ellyra wondered aloud. “He doesn’t seem easily tamed.”

            Cleven chuckled again, gravelly and pleasant. “He’s not. It takes a beast to keep him in check. But come. Let’s return to the castle. It won’t be long now before it gets dark.”

            Ellyra couldn’t keep herself from shuddering just a little and taking Cleven’s huge, tough, paw like hand. “Yes, let’s get back.”

            “There’s nothing to fear.” Cleven assured her as his steps matched hers.

            “I just don’t like the dark.” Ellyra admitted. “I guess I never really got over it as a child.”

            “We all have our fears.”

            “What’s yours?”

            “I’d tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.” Cleven said, shaking his head. “Another time.”

            Girl and beast walked in silence for some minutes before Ellyra dared to voice a question that had been bothering her since she knew the beast prince existed.

            “Are you angry at the fairies?”

            Cleven didn’t respond until they had reached the main door of the castle. The prince opened it for her. “No.” He whispered softly. “I’m not angry at them.”

            Ellyra slipped inside and, sensing his discomfort with the topic, promptly dropped the subject.

 

            Cleven, Tam and Ellyra were just sitting down to their customary banquet of a dinner when Tasmine drifted into the room. As usual, she disregarded everyone but Prince Cleven, though her ghostly expression did seem puzzled at Cypress’s absence. “Sorry to interrupt you, master, but two visitors have been spotted approaching the castle. One is your brother, of course. He knows how to get in. The other, I believe, is for Lady Ellyra.”

            “Thank you Tasmine.” Cleven responded, nodding to her. “It seems we need two extra places at the table.”

            “It will be done, Master.” Tasmine replied, and bustled about making sure that Cleven’s request was accomplished.

            Ellyra’s heart sunk at the mention of Zayric – she still hadn’t quite recovered from her first encounter with him two weeks ago. The news that someone had actually come for her simultaneously puzzled and excited her. Perhaps her family cared more than she thought about her well being, but she had only been here for one night and she was already beginning to get used to Cleven’s gloomy old castle, which felt strangely more like home than her real home ever had. The visitors were quick to arrive, however, and her speculations were cut short when Prince Zayric entered the room, Eliza in tow.

            Liza!” Ellyra gasped. “What are you doing here?” She ran to greet her friend, and hugged her tightly. Ellyra’s well ingrained manners kicked in before she could allow her friend to answer the question, however. “Everyone, may I present Miss Eliza Sherwood of Redbriar Manor.”

            Liza’s eyes danced with laughter as she spoke. “Your excellent stepmother refused to send you aid, so I stole the finch from our aviary and it led me to a sarcastic and disgruntled prince! It was really quite felicitous.”

            Ellyra threw a cautious glance at Zayric, whose cold grey eyes were narrowing dangerously. “Don’t talk about this prince like that right in front of him!” She chided Liza softly.

            “And why ever not?” Liza asked indignantly. “He’s been making snide remarks about me and my social status all day. Why should he be exempt from criticism just because his rank is higher than mine?”

            “Because that’s normally the way it works.” Cleven answered jovially. “But my brother needs some verbal abuse now and then to put him in his place.” He loped over to Zayric and pulled him into a fierce embrace.

            Zayric looped his willowy arms around his brother. “I don’t know why I even bother to visit you,” he drawled dryly, “if condone people’s verbally abusing me.”

            “I trust that your ego is big enough to handle it.” Cleven returned simply, letting him go.

            Liza smirked as she listened to the exchange and looked Ellyra over critically. “You’ve got some bruises.” She noted. “And a few scrapes. You’re going to tell me everything soon. But more importantly, where did you get that fabulous dress? It suits you so well, Ellyra! Turn!”

                Ellyra laughed and turned elegantly around so her friend could fully admire the simplistic beauty of the light blue, long sleeved day dress Marina had given her that afternoon. Though it was, in Marina’s words, “nothing special,” Ellyra already loved it; it was elegant, heavy enough to keep out the early fall chill but light enough not to be overpowering, as so many of her gaudy, hand me down dresses tended to be. “Isn’t it lovely? Marina made it for me. She’s one of the… oh! Goodness, Liza, you don’t know about the ghosts!”

            “The what?” Liza began, her eyes wide with inquisitive interest, but Cleven interjected smoothly before Ellyra had too much time to sidetrack his new guest with a lot of new information.

            “All of this can be explained over dinner!” He said cheerfully, leading everyone over to the table. “We have much to explain and a few more introductions to make, but it might as well be done on a full stomach.”

            “I couldn’t agree more!” Tam chipped in heartily, nodding to the two newcomers and bowing slightly to each.

            Zayric took note of this as he sat stiffly at the empty place at the table’s head, and his unyielding eyes flashed with annoyance as he recognized Tam’s subtle act of insolence. He was the prince, and the crown prince at that, yet Tam had bowed to both of them, even though she was only a lowly servant girl, a member common rabble that could’ve been easily picked off of any street in the kingdom. How dare this stranger degrade him so, treating them as equals when her status was so clearly below his own? Zayric was just opening his mouth to point out Tam’s egregious error when the offender himself spoke up.

            “I’m Tamarisk, by the way.” He informed both Zayric and Eliza, though his comments were targeted in the lady’s direction. “You can call me Tam.”

            “Well then, Lord Tam, I’m pleased to make your acquaintance.” Liza returned, nodding her head deeply and using the lofty diction of the court in a half mocking gesture.

            “Oh, please fair lady, I implore you not to flatter me with titles which I do not possess.” Tam responded, grinning as he caught on. “My lowly stature is far from that of a lord’s. If you insist upon lavishing respectfulness upon any in our company, let it be upon the two of our number who actually deserve such high praise. Don’t forget that tonight we bask in the radiant presence of not one but two royal princes!” Tam indicated them with a theatrical sweep of his hand, and then returned to piling peas and carrots onto his already overloaded plate.

            Liza giggled and passed a steaming dish of venison to Ellyra before she answered. She was encouraged by the amused twinkle in the beast prince’s eyes and perhaps gained even more confidence from Zayric’s aloof, disapproving glance. “You disallow me to furnish you with the title ‘lord’ and yet I am a lady? Surely, sir, your eyes deceive you most conspicuously! My dress consists of the shabby garments of an inferior stable girl and I’m sure you, like our excellent prince Zayric, have been quick to notice my unforgivably ill mannered disposition. Are these really the qualities a high born lady should possess?”

            “You forgot to mention your smell.” Zayric put in sardonically. “And your blatant disrespect for authority and your astounding lack of beauty and grace.”

            Liza might have laughed if Zayric had held his tongue after the first two insults, but the third affront inspired an unmistakable flinch in her easy demeanor. Her eyes immediately snapped their attention to the older prince, her annoyance great enough now to make her forget the game. “At least my esteem extends beyond—”

            “Oh, but with all due respect, your highness, is not Miss Eliza’s intelligence comparable to that of a true lady’s?” Tam interjected smoothly, before the argument could escalate farther. “Any common wench can pretend to be beautiful and any ordinary dancer can learn grace over time, but intelligence, ah yes, I believe that is the true mark of a lady.”

            Zayric opened his mouth to object but Ellyra, whose patience for contention had finally been stretched to its limits, could not help but interrupt. “Stop!” She cried, squeezing Liza’s friend under the table. “Arguing is only going to end in more hurt feelings.”

            “Ellyra is right.” Cleven affirmed gravely. “This is enough. But forgive me, Miss Eliza. I’ve failed to introduce myself. As you’ve probably already garnered from our conversation, I’m Prince Cleven, Zayric’s brother.”

            Eliza nodded to him. “Thank you for allowing me into your home, your highness.”

            “The pleasure is mine. And please, call me Cleven. I’m a prince, but I hardly deserve the formality anymore.”

            “You’re still just as much a prince as you always were.” Zayric spoke up passionately. “Don’t sell yourself short.”

            Cleven turned his fur laden head towards his brother and a rush of air escaped from between his lips. “Zayric, I’m not denying that I’m still a prince. I am. But I haven’t been with our people for two years and honestly, I prefer it when they just call me Cleven. Just because I was lucky enough to be born into royalty doesn’t make me any more special than they are.”

            “Yes it does. You’re a natural leader!” Zayric objected. “You deserve their love and respect.”

            “I may deserve their respect on some level,” Cleven replied, “In fact, it’s far easier to run a country with it. But their love? I think you know as well as I do that love is something that needs to be earned.”

            Zayric fell silent and ran his thin fingers nervously though his ponytail of glittering auburn hair. He stood up suddenly, pushing away from the table. “I need to take care of Regality.” He invented, excusing himself to check on his horse.

            After a few seconds of awkward silence, the meal continued, though Cleven spoke little after his brother disappeared with such a transparent excuse.

            “He nearly raped you?” Eliza cried, aghast, as dessert was served. She was so distressed at this new piece of news that she failed even to notice the ghostly hands that whisked her used dishes away. “Oh Ellyra!”

            “No, it was all right!” Ellyra explained reassuringly. “Tam and Cypress rescued me.” She smiled.

            “So one rescuer is here for me to thank.” Eliza said, looking to Tam and treating him to a warm, appreciative smile. “But what of the other? Where is this elusive Cypress?”

            “He wasn’t feeling well today.” Tam explained. “We’re foreigners you see and I’m afraid the Calassian air isn’t mixing well with his system. All the travel we’ve been doing to get here has really taken a toll on him, the poor man. I’m sure he’ll be feeling better in a few days.”

            “On the contrary,” Cypress said from the doorway, “I’m feeling better now.”

            Tam sprang to his feet, uncharacteristically ignoring his plate of warm berry pie in order to help his friend. “Cy, what are you doing out of bed?” He exclaimed reproachfully.

            “I just told you, Tam, I’m feeling better. And I wanted to meet the other guests.” He smiled at Liza. “I thought there were two of them, though.”

            “My brother needed to step outside for a few moments to check on his horse.” Cleven told him, standing up. “I believe I’ll go and find him. Cypress, if you would like to eat, the ghosts would be happy to provide for you.”

            “Thank you, Cleven, but no. I feel better, but I’m not sure I can handle food quite yet.”

            Cleven nodded curtly. “As you wish.” He swiftly darted from the room and out into the night to find and talk to his brother.

            “If you still can’t stomach food, you’re not completely well.” Ellyra told Cypress in concern, rising from her place and placing a cool wrist on his forehead. “Oh, Cypress, you’re feverish!”

            Cypress tried to laugh, but the sound quickly became a harsh, hacking cough instead. “Don’t worry yourself, Ellyra. I’m sure I’ll be fine by morning.” Cypress said confidently, though the pallor of his skin and the weakness of his voice suggested the opposite.

            “Nothing good ever came of stubbornness.” Eliza chided him, joining the throng.

            “How would you know?” Ellyra asked her, trying to deflect the intensity of the mood with a feeble attempt at humor.

            “Shh! Ellyra! He doesn’t know me yet. He doesn’t have to know I’m being a hypocrite.” Liza returned softly, though loudly enough that the comment inspired another half laugh, half cough from Cypress.

            “If it would really make you all feel better I’ll go back to bed.” Cypress conceded finally. “I just wanted to meet everyone is all. I’ve felt really useless all day.”

            “Yeah, well, I’d rather have you be useless and be in bed and actually recover than have you be up and about doing things and be getting sicker.” Tam said firmly. “Come on. We’ll take you back to your room. This would be a good time to give Miss Eliza a bit of a tour anyway.”

            As they meandered slowly back to the main hall Ellyra tried to remember bits and pieces of what Cleven had told her earlier that day on their walk around the castle and the grounds. Liza was particularly impressed by the grand, sweeping staircase, which they slowly ascended to get Cypress back to his room. The party had almost reached the top, however, when Cypress stopped in the middle of the stair, a shudder wracking his slender frame.

            “Cy?” Tam asked cautiously, pausing mid step to look back at him.

             Cypress’s grip on the elegant marble railing slackened dangerously as he opened his mouth to speak. “I…I’ll be… fine…” He managed faintly, attempting another step. This attempt failed miserably; his foot overshot his goal and caused him to lose his footing. Just before he tumbled down the stairs, Ellyra glimpsed his eyes rolling frighteningly into the back of his head.

 



© 2008 Emily Rose


Author's Note

Emily Rose
With any luck the Eliza-Zayric and Tam-Zayric relationships didn't come on too strongly...

PS. Sorry about the sudden format change, the site decided to hate me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This chapter, while a lot of fun to read, seemed a bit more rushed than some of the earlier ones mechanics-wise. There were a lot more minor typos than usual. Also, the formatting messed up--though there's a good chance that that's the site's fault, and not yours--unless you were trying to make a point with the suddenly huge font? XD

There are parts where the dialogue, especially the whole 'wittiness' aspect of it, come off as really forced. I also think you're going a teensy bit overboard with Zayric's 'I am royalty and therefore I should be treated like a god,' attitude, along with Cleven's 'I was just lucky,' attitude. We know that he doesn't think any better of himself because he's a prince, which makes him likable, but if you play it up too much, it makes him seem almost too noble. I'm prone to wonder why there's no bitterness in Cleven's attitude at all--I mean, even for a naturally kind and forgiving person, you'd think he might hold a bit of a grudge. After all, he did get transformed into a beast because ZAYRIC was being a rude little jerk face, but there's no tension between him and his brother that I noticed (though I guess that might make sense, since Zayric, to his credit, IS trying), but it seems like pushing the blame onto someone would be a natural thing to do.

I love the way the characters have come along, though, aside from Cleven--I'm kind of excited to see what happens between them in later chapters. This was a really good chapter, though it does need a bit of polishing up; it was fun to read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This chapter, while a lot of fun to read, seemed a bit more rushed than some of the earlier ones mechanics-wise. There were a lot more minor typos than usual. Also, the formatting messed up--though there's a good chance that that's the site's fault, and not yours--unless you were trying to make a point with the suddenly huge font? XD

There are parts where the dialogue, especially the whole 'wittiness' aspect of it, come off as really forced. I also think you're going a teensy bit overboard with Zayric's 'I am royalty and therefore I should be treated like a god,' attitude, along with Cleven's 'I was just lucky,' attitude. We know that he doesn't think any better of himself because he's a prince, which makes him likable, but if you play it up too much, it makes him seem almost too noble. I'm prone to wonder why there's no bitterness in Cleven's attitude at all--I mean, even for a naturally kind and forgiving person, you'd think he might hold a bit of a grudge. After all, he did get transformed into a beast because ZAYRIC was being a rude little jerk face, but there's no tension between him and his brother that I noticed (though I guess that might make sense, since Zayric, to his credit, IS trying), but it seems like pushing the blame onto someone would be a natural thing to do.

I love the way the characters have come along, though, aside from Cleven--I'm kind of excited to see what happens between them in later chapters. This was a really good chapter, though it does need a bit of polishing up; it was fun to read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 17, 2008
Last Updated on July 22, 2008


Author

Emily Rose
Emily Rose

Mansfield, PA



About
Hey everyone! I'm back for the summer, so hopefully I'll be able to get back into my normal reviewing habits! I'm going to try to return reviews to people who review my work, and you can always se.. more..

Writing
Madness Madness

A Poem by Emily Rose


Fireworks Fireworks

A Poem by Emily Rose