Losing This, Gaining That..by Michael

Losing This, Gaining That..by Michael

A Story by Michael Reisman

Maria went to a high school reunion as the forty year old was wheeled into the entrance by a friend of hers. A car accident from her freshman year had this lovely girl paralyzed from the waist down due to extensive nerve damage and bone loss in her spinal column. I remembered Maria as we attended that same school when we became very close friends in our senior year. One of the requirements to attend this reunion was to wear the clothes from that period of time back in 1965. It was a fun thing to do and added a realism of sorts to the atmosphere of this event. Oldies music played and it was as if we were all back there once again, reliving the moment. She spun around singing to the old tunes on her wheelchair as her smile reflected the joy of being there once again. A favorite slow song came on which was "Unchained Melody", by the Righteous Brothers. Maria remembered me as she accepted this slow dance once again. I leaned over and held her shoulders as the wheelchair and I spun around the dance floor. Others took notice and gave a round of applause after the dance was over. A recognition of something special that may be classified as love at second sight. My memory suddenly turned to a girl who walked on crutches at a reunion that was no longer in a wheel chair. We danced to the same tune once again. The high school reunion played out once more with Maria just walking and hobbling with a little limp. We danced and kissed at the same time as her cane fell to the floor and just disappeared. I can't recall what year it is now, but it doesn't really matter you see. All I know is that "Unchained Melody" was playing on our twenty fifth wedding anniversary where the guests gave a round of applause. A matter of healing comes from the present and the past. It ends up with a slow song where love and a dance work its magic on those that are meant to be. Losing this, gaining that...

© 2015 Michael Reisman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The story brought me in and held me. You set-up the situation and the people. I liked the dance. I like the use of the words "Losing this, gaining that." Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Reisman

9 Years Ago

You felt the same emotions as I did while writing it. Thank you so much for enjoying this my friend.
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

I did and you are welcome.



Reviews

The story brought me in and held me. You set-up the situation and the people. I liked the dance. I like the use of the words "Losing this, gaining that." Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Reisman

9 Years Ago

You felt the same emotions as I did while writing it. Thank you so much for enjoying this my friend.
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

I did and you are welcome.
est etiam bonum ut malum


as the saying goes.....

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2015
Last Updated on February 8, 2015

Author

Michael Reisman
Michael Reisman

Eastchester, NY



About
My new website is My new website is michaelsbooksofshortstories.godaddysites.com My email address is [email protected] more..

Writing