Chapter 20

Chapter 20

A Chapter by matpat
"

IMPORTANT!!!!DID ANYONE JUST SKIP TO THE END TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED?

"

Chapter 20

            I sat on my bed not wanting to do anything or to see anyone. The empty bed next to mine had been made and left alone since Red had turned 18 a month ago and gone back to California, while Katie had turned two months ago, she went back to Texas to be with Rickey. The late afternoon light shimmered through the window and reflected off of the metal bedposts. Outside the littler kids were laughing and playing. In my room it was silent save the slight creaking fan in the ceiling. Crumpled between my hands was the picture of Scott and I smiling. Back when everything was okay, when we had each other and mom and dad.

            No one bugged me here in this room. The warden had kept everyone away and began to be ‘friends’ with me thinking that I would give her some of my cash. She had originally hopped to get anointed custody of it, but had no such luck. Other people who had heard about us on the news suddenly decided that they wanted almost fully grown teenagers. That didn’t work out so well either. Since there were no descendants of Charles the third the judge said that Katie, Red, and I were to split the money once we had turned, and even if we were adopted our ‘parents’ would get no share of any of it.

            I had two more weeks in this place and when I would leave I wouldn’t know where to go. I had all the money I could dream up and yet, I wasn’t happy. I didn’t feel like I could ever be happy without Scott. This was how it felt to be alone. I looked out the window envying the people who walked by having no trouble being happy, they smiled and laughed.

            I sighed and got up from my bed. In the heat of the day, I still took my coat. I found my-self walking down the street to the cemetery, with each step I took I limped. The bullet had done somthin’ to my leg. When the doctors explained it to me I couldn’t understand it.

            I walked across the clean cut grass. Almost every tombstone had flowers on it. I came to Scott’s, his had many flowers, people had heard the story and claimed that Scott was a hero for facing his fears.

            Hero, funny how people use the word.

            I looked at Scott’s grave reading.

Scott Smith

1951-1969

Never a Runner

            Next to his were mom and Dad’s, I lay down on the green grass and just thought. How can people live in a society like ours? Where there are car crashes, shootings, greedy people who just want the money. As I watched the clouds roll by creating a cool breeze, an eerie feeling crept across me. I didn’t want to be here, I felt like I was the god of the underworld, the only one alive in a room full of dead people. I got up and started back across the green grass.

            I only saw one other person. Something told me to go and talk to him. Acting on impulse as I had been doing a lot lately I stepped up to him and spoke, “Hey.”

“Hey.” He replied.

“Who is it?” I asked.

            He still didn’t look at me, “My father.”

“I’m sorry.”

            The kid looked at me, “You’re Brady Smith, aren’t you?”

“Yeah.”

“That’s so cool!”

“I guess.”

“I heard about your brother, that was pretty messed up.”

“Yeah.”

“Listen, why’d you forgive that Nathaniel guy? He killed your brother, shot you, ran over that girl and all that other stuff, why would you forgive a person who would do that?”

“Well Scott would always tell me that things would get better if we let them he loved the saying-The clouds became pink, The sky became violet, The sun becomes golden, As the ball of flame fell to the horizon, The clouds became yellow, The sky became dark, The sun could not be seen, As the clouds came closer, They became grey and blue, The sky could not be seen, The clouds fell o're us like a blanket, They became darker, They brought with them rain and fear, Quick bright flashes of lighting ignited the sky, Thunder followed, The storm would not stop, In the morning the sun came, The sun was yellow, The sky was golden, And there were no more clouds, The clouds will always come, Being able to find the sun, is what we all need to do, When the clouds come- all he ever wanted to do was find the sun.”

“Would you ever do it over?”

“If Scott didn’t die, then yes.”

“Hey, life goes on and on what we got to do is move on and never forget.”

“You’re right.”

“It’s the last thing my father said to me before he died.”

“What’s you name kid?”

“Hero.” He told me.

“Hero, funny how people use the word.”






    The End.


----------------------------------------------------------

hey! tell me if you like the ending or think the entire story was stupid! please and thank you!



© 2016 matpat


Author's Note

matpat
And so my friends, the adventure ends. I began this story one year ago to this day (Give or take a couple of weeks). I really hope you enjoyed the adventure as much as I did. Please tell me what you think of it, I would really appreciate your opinions. Thank you for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on June 8, 2015
Last Updated on January 12, 2016


Author

matpat
matpat

gilbert, AZ



About
I like my choices... I hope you like yours -the fault in our stars You still have a lot of time in this world to be what you want to be. there's still good in this world. -the outsiders Someti.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by matpat


Seale Seale

A Book by matpat


My Opinion My Opinion

A Poem by matpat