So Quiet

So Quiet

A Poem by AK
"

Not really whining... it's just that the long weekends here on the Slope (I work away from home) sometimes get very tedious. I find myself looking forward to junk email, but even that dries up on Saturday. Now THAT'S a cry for help : >)

"

 

The weekends are so quiet.
The phone seldom rings,
everyone is busy at home.
The Café is nearly deserted
as all the splendid writers enjoy their time off work…
or sort life out as best they can.
A few stalwart souls post a piece or two
but summer draws most away from their keyboards.
 
I pour another cup of coffee
and check the familiar pages... too often.
I hope everyone is doing well.
Even time seems preoccupied… distracted.
News from friends will come soon enough I suppose
as each one gathers new experiences to write about.
Maybe I’ll check one more time…
the weekends are so quiet.

© 2008 AK


Author's Note

AK
Thanks Carole, the peace and quiet is indeed welcome at times. The grand-daughters can be a handful when I'm home, even for Poppie!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
Oh ~ this makes me feel even lonelier than I already do! How sad, D!! I can see you sitting at your desk feeling like the only one in the world sitting alone, working, Father's Day weekend. I love when you write like this, as though you're talking to yourself and we get to eavesdrop. "Even time seems preoccupied� distracted." Oooooo, even Time has deserted its post. Such a compelling snapshot of abandoned. I can so relate.

I love this. Thank you for your heart. ;-)

xo me

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I have those days. :) This brought a smile.

..each one gathers new experiences to write about.

That or their muses are resting.
Thanks for sharing!

((Hugs and LOve)) ~SilentDream

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think it was those quiet times that nurtured the writer in me, to write. It speaks volumes, you know, without making a sound.

I relish whatever time I can get alone. I think it helps to replenish our soul, like a long drink of water.

; )



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This reminded me of this quietude at 1:35 a.m. that I am in right now. The only sounds...this keyboard and the occasional playlist of another writer. It can be soothing to have this relative peace before the chaos of the day. I value it even though at times it seems so lonely and maybe too quiet as you write of. You make it seem much more empty somewhat, that everyone else is living it up this summer but you who sit there alone...waiting to read of things you have not done. Waiting...geez! A good piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Even time seems preoccupied� distracted.

I know this feeling, you've said so much and with such tender elegance Dale. The poem is kind of sad but quite stunning, I've missed your writing and the Cafe. I am hoping to be around more but not holding my breath yet either. Only time will tell, huh?

miss u ...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

aw, I'm so sorry to have been away so much. I'm sewing diligently between living histories to get ready for the next thing.

You are in my thoughts even when I'm not at my keyboard.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Odd how things can be soooo quiet, and then suddenly chaos can ensue out of NO WHERE! Treasure the calm moments...let the soul rest for it is always a much needed break! Nice observational write...personal in a sweet way too! It closes the distance. I feel like I'm right there with you- I so understand the inspiration for this piece!
~Lorraiyne

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is interesting, such a peaceful poem. i enjoyed it so much. I was thinking how you enjoy your peacefulness there.
good job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Funny how two people can view the same thing differently. I curse the clanging phone and live for the week that I can hole up in some isolated place and have the world ignore me. That is with the exception of the people I let into my world through this portal. I read your work and I see paradise.

Go figure!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I've felt the same way about the cafe but thought maybe it was for another reason. DId I ever thank you for the fern pic? I remember seeing those in MI when I visited my grandparents.....

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yet it is in these times of quiet that we can bask in peace from the hurried lifestyle so many of us are accustomed to...Treasure the moments to relax in the solitude.

The weekends are so quiet.
The phone seldom rings,
everyone is busy at home.
The Caf� is nearly deserted
as all the splendid writers enjoy their time off work�
or sort life out as best they can.
A few stalwart souls post a piece or two
but summer draws most away from their keyboards.

Just wondering my friend, if you have had children? After raising 2 and the 3rd at almost 18, calm and silence is something I have begged for. I love people, at the same token...I think of the book of Ecclesiastes: There is a time for everything under the sun!

I enjoyed this piece. Can see you sitting there with your coffee at your keyboard contemplating and wondering where everyone is? You are a blessing, my friend. Glad you are here! Carole

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

418 Views
12 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 17, 2008
Last Updated on June 18, 2008

Author

AK
AK

AK



About
If you haven't visited my Alaska... well... well... shame on you : >) Small brook just outside of Woodstock, Vermont. October 14, 2010 "Oh... that feels so good" - May 17, 2009 .. more..

Writing
Just One Just One

A Poem by AK


Blue Moon Blue Moon

A Story by AK