Chapter 1: Alone

Chapter 1: Alone

A Chapter by akutasame
"

Beautiful morning, ordinary day, with deadly consequences as the mission fails.

"


'Soon you shall blossom my child, become great, only to fall for the sake of others, such is your destiny, but don't be afraid, as you won't be forgotten'



Waking up to these words has become kind of a habit for Conor. Every night same nightmare, burning flames, yet calming, crude male voice, but mellow and fatherly, telling him these words.

Conor attributed these dreams to his unhealthy obsession with movies, cartoons and comics, yet something about them felt surreal.

"Eh, wonder if they'll ever stop" Conor mumbled to himself as he kicked covers and mountain of clothes off of his bed.

"I should really clean my room sometimes" he proclaimed and proceeded to pick up pair of pants and a shirt off of the floor, putting them on clumsily on his way to bathroom.

He gazed into mirror as he washed his teeth, spitting toothpaste and trying to brush his shoulder-length hair. He considered getting a haircut, but he thought it fits him well with his pierced ears and overall punk style. Getting it in order in the morning was tad bit difficult and Conor hated anything bothersome. Always laid back, kid with a lot of potential, good looks, yet forgotten, empty shell to everyone around him, with no goal or purpose in life.

He spent few more minutes looking at himself, raising a shirt to observe his muscles, a product of only thing that was taking his mind off of things. He had a habit of exercising to exhaustion, and combined with his work in the agency his body developed every muscle, broad shoulders, strong and rough facial features, attractive, bad boyish and kind. He stopped at the only visible sign of his past. A long scar over his chest. He frowned at the sight of it.

Finally Conor decided it was time to leave and rushed out of the room, into dorm hall.

Depressing and empty as usual.

He paced through hall, observing every door. He knew people were in there, sleeping. It was only six in the morning, and classes don't start until eight, but he secretly hoped someone was going to push their head out and say hi to him.

Then again, why would they?

No one but him gets up this early anyway. His morning routine is just his, and Connor liked it that way. Yet there was always this longing feeling of hope. Maybe someone will ask him where he is going every morning, and come alone. It was just a gym, but it was special to him.

He quickly shooed away those thoughts. He didn't want anyone to interrupt him and break into his little world in the gym, after all it was his way out.

Sun was already out, caressing Conor's hair as fresh and warm summer breeze snuck into his clothes, giving him tingly feeling. But autumn was right around the corner and Connor knew he won't be enjoying beautiful mornings for much longer.

Conor reached the stairs leading to the entrance of the dorm. One descending them had a great view of the town. Beautiful rooftops of the houses, clean streets, few people following their own paths. Ordinary and unremarkable. But just out of sight, something else was looming, hidden away in darkness. Ruins, abandoned households, place where many had lost their lives in a War five years ago. Ghoulish atmosphere plagued them, and everyone ignored it. Conor did too, but he had his own reasons. That's where he came from, where he lost everything. The line separating two parts of the same town was where the defenders took their final stand, and repelled the attack, losing many. Wall with their names was built, not to honor them, but to hide the atrocities lurking behind it. World was still being rebuilt after the War, considered to be the last one. Nations united, borders gone, everyone was welcome everywhere. Not that all problems were gone, but for the time being, the planet has found peace, and on top was the agency, AP or Auraculum Pacis.

Iun was a town full of people from all over the world, renamed to show unity of mankind. Yet among all of them Conor had no one. He was all alone in a vast, free world. He thought of running away, trying to find the drive, but where could he go? There was no place for him anywhere. At least he felt that way. People in AP seemed to like him, but Conor thought of their acts as superficial. He is useful. He's been in it since he was fourteen, and raised by them since he lost his foster parents. He was invaluable asset to them, first to go to missions, last to come back, always with the job completed.

Entrance to the gym was empty as well, not yet open. Arnold was late again.

Conor sighed and sat on a nearby bench, looking into the sky. Single bird flew over him. Symbol of freedom they say. He was just reminded how caged he feels.

"Spacing out, are you?"

Conor lowered his eyes to look at Arnold. Crumbling old man with a good heart.

"Your fault for being late," he said and got up, "come on, I need to start my day with a good exercise."

Key crackled in the rusty lock. Arnold's hands were shaking more and more each day. Conor knew he was the only reason the gym is still open. He was the only one visiting it regularly. Dorms were in a remote location, cheapest possible piece of land, and gym was there before it. But people moved away from it, towards the center of the town. They wanted to be closer to each other. But Arnold didn't leave. His house and gym were everything he had.

The doors opened and they stepped in. Despite the warm night, gym was cold, dusty, crumbling away in the same manner as its owner.

Conor grabbed his sweatpants from the locker and went to the bench press.

As he repeatedly pushed weights up and down he was getting lost in his thoughts. Weights were like his thoughts. Constantly pushing them away, always coming back, never able to drop them for good.

Arnold chuckled, "Your hands are already shaking more than mine, you'll injure yourself if you don't stop."

"I know" Conor answered, "I am just not myself today."

"Don't tell me that stupid nigthmare got to you," Arnold asked.

"Nah, it's just that even I don't know," Conor answered and put the weights down.

"I'll give you one advice Conor," Arnold gazed into him, "there is always a breaking point. The sooner you identify it, the better. You don't want to burst some day."

"I don't quite understand you old man, I am just tired, that's all," Conor answered and got up, "I think I am done for today, I am just not in the mood."

He took a quick shower in the gym bathroom and got on his way. After saying goodbye to Arnold, Conor really didn't know where to go. Needle on the clock barely scraped number seven. He decided to just roam around until classes start, but before he knew it he was in front of AP's headquarters. Turning around a voice reached his ears from above.

"Conor! Hey!"

Great, here comes annoying Azumi. He sped up, but shouts didn't stop coming. He turned around.

"Hey Azumi, sorry I was just walking around and ended up here somehow, didn't hear you."

She glanced at him and smiled, "It's fine, come up, we have time for coffee before classes start."

Coffee with Azumi is definitely something he really didn't want to do. It's not that he had something against her, she was just too friendly, plus not only they work in AP together, but also go to same classes in college.

As he entered bright, big corridors of agency, he felt a chill going down his spine. Guard greeted him and proceeded to lock the door behind Conor. People at their desks didn't even notice him walking by them.

Connor hit number eight on the elevator panel and tried to think of a way to escape.

After a short cling elevator door opened to the main office. A huge room with a round table and huge screen. Azumi was there waiting, with a silly smile on her face. She came from Japan, country first hit by War due to declining to partake in creation of Asian Alliance. Thinking that United States will be safer her family ran away. Alliance caught them half way through harsh lands of Siberia and took them to prisoner's camp. Her stay there was a mystery, only know thing was that she was the lone survivor when liberation armies came.

"Bitter coffee was it?" she asked, turning around to smile at Conor once again.

"Do you really have to ask me every time?" Conor replied and sighed, sitting down on the chair closest to the cooker.

"You know I am forgetful," she added innocently.

Azumi was a petite girl, a full head length shorter than Conor. Big, brown eyes, full of life and warm. Her look pierced through people like hot cocoa through lungs on the winter night. Her oval face was gentle, with prominent cheekbones, thin lips that gracefully curved whenever she spoke. Her yellow summer dress was giving away an impression of the saint under the sunlight breaking through window glass. She had finally finished making coffee and walked towards the round table. Her delicate, cautious steps added to the rhythm of the ballad that was playing on the radio.

Conor caught himself staring and quickly looked away.

"Why do you listen to this sentimental crap," he pointed at the radio with his finger.

"Because it invokes emotions and reminds me that I am still human," she answered in her usual brittle voice.

"Being human doesn't have much to do with music if you ask me," Conor added.

"Dense as always I see," Azumi chuckled and choked on her hot coffee.

Conor fought off the urge to laugh and almost choked himself.

"No matter how we feel, or what we went through, music calls forth feelings," Azumi continued as if nothing happened, "whether it's anger, sadness, courage, we always feel something. That's what makes us human." She finished.

"Ye, this music is pissing me off," Conor was annoyed. He couldn't make sense of her words, always so profound with her own views about life and humanity.

"Then you are human," Azumi said, seriously and looked into his eyes, "you are same as me."

Conor was starting to get really annoyed. He never thought he was same as anyone. He is different, nobody, devoid of any pleasures life has to offer. And she took his comment about her music taste as something good.

"Anyway, we have math today, I hate math," Azumi broke the silence.

"You are of Asian descent, you should love it," he mumbled as coffee burned his tongue.

"Ah old stereotypes," she laughed, "one would thing they would disappear now that people we are all considered just humans."

"It was just a joke."

"I know, oh my look at the time!" Azumi jumped off of her chair as if hell broke lose, leaving Conor confused for a moment. She grabbed her bag, "we'll be late for classes!"

"But I am not done with my coffee!" Conor said. Somehow he found enjoyment in conversation and wanted to talk a little more. But admitting that would be equal to suicide in his eyes. It's Azumi after all, kind-hearted, silly and above all annoying girl.



Classes were boring as usual. Waste of six hours in Conor's opinion. Somehow he found himself walking back to agency with Azumi, despite trying his best to shake her off.

His feelings towards her constantly conflicted in his head. He hated the fact she just couldn't let go of him. She always tries to talk to him, asks him to come for a dinner. She is even volunteering to go on missions with him. Everything in her power to be around him. And it annoyed him. Yet he somehow couldn't force himself to tell her to go away and leave him alone, and his indirect signals are either unnoticed or ignored. And on the last mission, when it got a bit dangerous he was actually worried for her.

"Good afternoon agents," a croaky voice broke through the conference room.

Everyone at the round table tried figuring out where he was coming from, until one of the chairs facing them with its back turned around. Chief Marjan, director of AP headquarters in Iun. Middle aged man, stood up, towering over the table, with his intimidating approach.

"Today we have standard infiltrate and rescue mission," he declared, "three people have abducted two kids from the edges of the wall and took them to the old ruins. Their motives are unknown, and this is the security camera footage from the scene of the crime!"

Big screen flickered and started playing a video. Three figures in red robes jumped out of the car, grabbed children playing on the sidewalk and drove away.

Video ended and picture of boy and a girl popped instead, "These are the victims, seven and five year old brother and sister. They go by the name Jack and Stella."

Chief Marjan stopped for a second, sighed. To everyone it was obvious he was angry. Like almost everyone in the agency he lost someone dear in the War, his two kids, also brother and sister.

"Their information and other details are already transferred to your datapads," he continued, "Leading the mission will be Giannis, followed by Connor."

"Just two of us?" a voice broke through the whispers.

"No Giannis, I actually need a third person, and I have a feeling who it's going to be," he answered.

And as if she just waited for that signal, Azumi rose her hand and got approval nod from the chief.

"I will also send out support troops but due to hostage situation we must go with as few people as possible so we don't alert kidnappers."

"Do we know where they are?" Conor asked

"Agent we sent after them sent us the images, Jane if you will," chief nodded towards his assistant and screen once again showed a picture. Old church, roof long gone. Small building, the only one standing in the sea of rubble.

"That's all we know at the moment. Grab your equipment from the barracks, and dispatch at once, dinner is waiting for them on the table." Chief walked out and went straight into his office, seemingly worried.

Gianis, Azumi and Connor were walking towards barracks. Reaching the female room, Azumi separated.

"Just stand out of my way and this will be over quickly," Giannis was the first to speak.

Slender and tall, with short military cut, he truly left impression of a person not to be messed with. Not only his appearance, but his rank was scary as well. At the age of twenty-four he was already Liutenet General, one rank under chief Marjan.

"Cocky as usual," Conor hissed at him.

"You are forgetting I am your superior First Liutenet Conor, you will obey my orders"

"Yes sir," He complied with obvious contempt in his voice.



Road to ruins was short, but bumpy ride. Although going around wall was possible, gates were built to shorten the time needed to reach them.

Buckled up in the back of the van, Conor watched the gradual shift of the scenery. From modern day town to a place where living fear to tread. Houses, no, just their foundations, and maybe a wall or two, standing over the rubble, as if souls left behind to guard the fallen ones. Memories of the childhood slightly started overwhelming Conor, faces of his foster parents. He didn't know where he came from, adopted when he was three, and lost his new found home. Something inside was screaming, something long forgotten. This is not his first mission here, but recently something woke up and made him uneasy.

Gentle touch, like a ripple in the water broke through his thoughts and snatched him back from the pit.

"What are you doing?" Conor asked Azumi, fixating on her hand over his.

"I just thought you needed it," she answered.

"Yeah, well I don't."

"We are here, around half a mile ahead is the church, you'll have to go on foot as van might alert them," driver said as he stopped the vehicle.

Trio from agency left their seats and jumped out on what remained of the old road. Without wasting a second they moved towards the church.

Shortly after they reached the the wooden fence surrounding the church. No one was visible. Quiet whistle from behind one of the abandoned cars alerted them to the agent previously sent by agency.

"They placed kids on an altar and started drawing some weird signs on the walls and floor," he spoke without hesitation, "probably some cult. I am afraid their goal is to sacrifice kids."

Azumi spaced out for a second, "We need to do this quickly then."

"Know your place, I am the one to decide how we will do this," Giannis butted in, "check your datapads for the pictures of the church."

Conor and Azumi complied.

"As you can see, back of the church is almost ruined, there are holes in the wall. You will sneak around there, and I will go through the front door. The moment I do that you will grab the kids and run. "

"And what about you? Are you going to fight them alone?" Conor asked.

"No, I will run back to this spot where you will be waiting for me, and then we will apprehend them together."

"Yes, sir!" Conor and Azumi yelled in sync.

Sneaking around the church was harder than they thought. Rubble was breaking down under their feet, making cracking noises that in the vast nothingness of this damned place would alert people miles away. But somehow kidnappers were still focused on their own thing.

They signaled Giannis they are in position.

"Well, well, gentleman, what do we have here?"

Three robed figures turned around to face Giannis, standing at the entrance with gun pointed at them.

"Leave! We have no use for you," curdling voice, striking terror into the bones of agents commanded.

"How about you remove your hoods and face me instead?" Giannis repeated, but his voice was shaky. The inhuman feel the figure that spoke induced affected him more than he wanted to others to know.

Three figures turned towards him and chanted something. Azumi and Conor jumped out from the hiding spots and rushed towards the altar. But something stopped them in their tracks. They just couldn't proceed forward despite nothing being in front of them.

"Don't think we didn't notice you filthy humans," chilling voice spoke again.

Robed men were still focused on Giannis, "You were warned! Now disappear!"

As soon as words left the man's mouth Giannis' face froze. Gurgling sound escaped his throat as he gasped for air.

"WHAT'S HAPPENING, STOP!" Azumi screamed as glistening tears slid down her cheeks.

Giannis was slowly losing color in his face, on his knees he was grabbing his chest, as if his lungs were on fire. Until finally it all stopped. White liquid oozed out from the corner of his mouth.

Conor stood there, unable to move, speak as Azumi's screams tore through the night, composing chaotic symphony that echoed around the broken town. Even he wanted to move, something was keeping him locked.

Not this again!

Only words that Azumi screamed in terror that broke through to him before they were pushed away by some invisible, violent force. The surroundings were spinning as they flew back.

Conor landed on the confessional, shattering it with is body. But there was no time to feel pain. At least not the physical kind. Right in front of his eyes Azumi was impaled on the broken cross that was left hanging from the wall in a stake like fashion. The wall couldn't support the weight of Azumi and collapsed, burying her underneath dust and million small pieces of facade.

Connor crawled to her, forgetting three people, and they forgot him it seems as they were now spread in a circle around two children.

"Az-z-umi", Conor struggled to speak. Desperately calling out to her. The lower body was the only thing not buried. He tried pulling her out, but to no avail. He started clearing the rubble away from her until he finally set her free. She was still breathing.

"Hold on, you'll be ok," Conor tried being brave, comforting. But he knew the injuries were fatal. And she knew.

Like a flame of the candle in the wind, struggling to stay on, her weak voice spoke, "It's ok save the kids."

For the first time since he was a child tears occupied the space in the corner of his eyes.

"See, you are a human after all!" Azumi said with a smile on her face.

Conor couldn't speak, he didn't know what to say. He didn't even know why he was feeling this way in the first place. It was a mission. People lose their lives sometimes. But this life is different. He didn't want it to go away. What is this conflicting thought. He spent all of his time since he met her thinking how to get rid of her. And now he is crying for her.

"Why..." He managed to squeeze between his tightly shut lips and groans.

"Because we are friends!"

Then it struck him. He was not always alone. He had a friend. Not everyone at AP was pretending. And despite his selfishness and rudeness this person didn't give up on him.

With final breath Azumi squeezed Conor's hand. He wanted to die as well, or rather, he was dead, on the inside. He was truly alone now. But he had no time to think. Chants stopped.

Kids, I have to save kids!

But it was too late. What he saw when he turned around was altar in flames, silhouettes of two children in it, steady, still sitting as they were left when they were alive. But what was even more terrifying than coldblooded murder of children were three figures around them. With their robes off at last, they were not human. Each one different and more grotesque in its own way, with skin color ranging from the darker spectrum of orange to the bright green. Their heads disfigured, with fangs found only on most dangerous predators.

Conor was trying to hold on. But sheer amount of fear and injuries from the fall were all too much for him. Conciousness was slowly leaving him as church interior spun once again.

We are finally awake.





© 2016 akutasame


Author's Note

akutasame
Starting out slow. All criticism welcome, as long as it's well mannered. Have in mind that English is not my mother tongue. Have fun! Influenced by Japanese light novels.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on October 2, 2016
Last Updated on October 3, 2016
Tags: fantasy, religion, teen, romance, adventure, light novel


Author

akutasame
akutasame

Serbia



About
Aspiring to do something with my writing. Oh wait, introductions first. I am 21 year old from Serbia, a small Eastern European country. My name is Dusan and I am here just to share, get tips and l.. more..

Writing
Move on Move on

A Poem by akutasame


"N" "N"

A Poem by akutasame