Resolution

Resolution

A Story by alanwgraham
"

A long outstanding task is resolved.

"
That night I slept soundly in the happy knowledge that the matter that had been long preying on my mind would be resolved in the next few days. Regardless of the outcome I would be able to move forward with the rest of my life.

I woke at six, ate a hearty breakfast and prepared my saddlebags for my journey of five days. Astride my chestnut mare Conquest I set off at eight with the weather set fair, the blue sky broken by scattered clouds and a cool breeze.

My journey to Georgetown proved uneventful. The Star Inn where I spent my first night was passable with a soft mattress, a sterling mutton pie and fine ale. The only events of any note in my journey were a brief exchange with a highwayman, an argument with two Irish beggars and a skirmish with a wild boar in the Forest of Dartford when I dismounted for a piss.

Beginning to weary after two long days in the saddle I was greatful to reach my abode for the night, the Crosskeys Inn on the outskirts of Georgetown. In spite of a nagging anxiety about the morrow I passed a pleasant evening with the buxom serving lass Bess attending to my every want - well most of them. I took care not to overindulge in the moreish local ale as my head would have to be as clear as a mountain brook for whatever the morrow would bring.

Later, in my room, my thoughts turned as they often did to my unresolved predicament. Often in one's unpredictable passage through life events can turn against you. The easy path is to do nothing and live with anxiety gnawing away at your soul. The braver way is to remove the cancre by decisive action.

After a night riven by frightful and unresolved dreams I breakfasted well on bacon, three Norfolk sausages accompanied by two fried eggs - perhaps echoes of the condemned man's last meal - and sharpened my metaphorical dagger.

After packing my bag I mounted Conquest and cantered the short way into town with my heart beating a frenetic tattoo. In no time I stood before the door of my destiny. My hand poised for final moments, I could still turn for home but seizing the moment I rapped firmly. I could hear footsteps.

The events passed as I had hoped as I had the great advantage of surprise. The journey home was uneventful and there was no sign of pursuit. With the dark cloud on my soul removed I could now resume a life untethered.

My final message for the reader is to act decisively. In so doing remove the weight from your life which is preventing an easy freedom.

© 2022 alanwgraham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

An effective tale with much wisdom to be resolute, focus on the task at hand, see it through and learn lessons along the way. I like the style, the imagery, the twists and turns. We must act decisively as the writer powerfully states.
You are good Alan...

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

1 Year Ago

Many thanks Sami for your kind review.
Cheers,
Alan
Sami Khalil

1 Year Ago

You are welcome. Cheers!



Reviews

This is a well-told story, brief & compelling, leaving the reader with an ending that can be interpreted in whichever way resonates with each reader. First, it's great to be reading you again. Even before I left the cafe 4 months ago, you hadn't been posting much for a while, so I hope this is one of many new postings that I can peruse in the coming days & weeks. Secondly, this piece is remarkable for it's brevity & laser-focused storyline, whereas your tendency to go off on tangents (albeit fun well-organized tangents) is legendary! *wink! wink!*

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

2 Years Ago

Thanks Margie. I was aware that this story was more straight ahead than my usual offerings. To be ho.. read more
barleygirl

2 Years Ago

I'm sorry you've been thru a bum-scootin' low thrash! Don'tcha just hate how much longer it takes to.. read more
Don’t hold thoughts that produce anxiety; it seems that this gentleman had something on his mind that worried him terribly, so much so that he traveled far to rectify it, almost turning back before he got there.he did the right thing in that he removed the heavy weight on him by getting it off his chest and moving on in life.
A good lesson to learn.
Very relevant and well written Alan!
Best, B.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

2 Years Ago

Thanks Betty for your kind review. This was a bit different from my usual stories which can be a bit.. read more
Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

I liked it very much Alan, well written and made a point
Best
B.
Well Alan, a bit of karma at play here, as I am currently on a road trip of this fine land (car, not horse) and fine weather to boot, which is an extra bonus, as the sky is that watercolour blue you only ever see in that place called abroad.
A very enjoyable write, with the wisdom of leaving troubles unpacked, as they will still be there on your return or perhaps your travels broaden the mind into resolving what you were too close to see from a distance, that We magnify things, especially worries out of all proportion and the ogre we imagine turns out to be the shadow of a normal sized thing projected in the candlelight as bigger than what it is.
Heading west today, from nairn to the islands, Skye and Mill and if time and we don't overindulge in sampling, a few more distillery tours before heading east to the enemy of the west, fair Edina 😊
Happy trails 😊

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

2 Years Ago

Thanks Lorry for your thoughts. It is true that events from our pasta can give us indigestion. Also .. read more
Words of wisdom here Alan. Getting bogged down with heavyweight stuff hanging round your neck like an albatross isn't going to do yourself any favours. A firm resolve to get this negative stuff resolved, whatever that might be is certainly a move in the right direction. Good to read you again. Hope all is OK in your neck of the woods.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

2 Years Ago

Many thanks Chris for your kind review. I was interested to see what anyone thought of this short p.. read more
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

All good Alan. We visited Bristol too, a month ago :)
Well, doggonit! What was that weight he removed? The sharpened dagger leads me to believe some type have cutting may have taken place. (Not onions or bread, I suspect) Excellent writing--you sure grabbed my attention.

Please check that second sentence.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

2 Years Ago

Thanks Samuel. I was sitting in the pub writing this so excuse me a few mistakes. I've included the .. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

444 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 17, 2021
Last Updated on May 22, 2022

Author

alanwgraham
alanwgraham

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Married with three kids, I retired early from teaching physics but have always enjoyed mountains. In my forties I experienced a manic episode which kick-started a creative urge. I've written a novel .. more..

Writing
The Seer The Seer

A Story by alanwgraham



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic