Secrets

Secrets

A Story by Nankya Yudaya
"

There’s only one way to keep a secret, “Say nothing.” But as long as a child is involved, it’s not a secret worth keeping.

"

A colleague of mine whose wife’s work involved a lot of travelling, had a heart attack upon learning some disturbing truths about her. Jenna had been doing this for the last two years she’d been married to Maco �" travelling back and forth at different intervals which left little room for family let alone make babies �" Maco rode on the assumption, “she was working.” As fate would have it, this sure was the final nail in the coffin, Jenna packed her bags travelling to Dubai as most of her trips. On this particular trip, she avoided face-time with her husband, couldn’t pick calls sometimes and prolonged the trip but as concerned as Maco was, he had no reason to be suspicious of a woman whose plane ticket he evidently bought himself.

 

On that fateful Saturday while Maco was stuck in traffic along a highway, he saw a woman of about six months pregnant that looked a lot like his wife move into the grocery store He called his friend Peter about it who assured him it can’t be, so he hang up.

 

This was a rare sight for the fact that he had not seen her in a year �" that couldn’t be his child, they had spoken the previous night on a +971 extension and she had promised to be home by Christmas �" it’s April. He did some complicated math which added up to a cruel realization. To be sure, he had to delve into a bit of an investigation �" he pulled up on the sidewalk and dialed the +971 which she picked. All the while, keeping his eyes on her �" that was a mystery he needed to approach head on.

 

He entered the grocery store with his phone still held on the ear and the conversation still flowing. Scrutinizing sections in the store, he stood behind her at a vegetable stall and tapped her shoulder. In shock, Jenna impetuously flung her phone across the floor, heaved her cart, panting her way in backward motion, it was a nightmare! Maco dashed to hold her firm, otherwise it would have been a nasty fall. Jenna stuttered in a painful effort to form words or whichever lie. He calmly remarked “It’s not mine, is it?” More falter to a remark so sensitive informed the awakening. In her benumbed moment, Jenna turned only to notice Maco on the floor gasping for air. Sad to say, he died on arrival to the hospital.

 

Peter, was responsible for the pregnancy and it was more than a fling. While still at the hospital before Maco’s family streamed in, she whimpered holding her belly saying things like “I wish I didn’t have to do this!” With fortitude, she remarked, “I loved Maco but I was in love with his status. I am in love with Peter, I just can’t explain it �" I am sorry, I am truly sorry.” Her friend who seemed hesitant to hold her upon the confession, asked but why not let him go the moment you learnt of the pregnancy? Because I think divorce is better than what you’ve done to Maco and his family, it’s wrong!” I am sorry is all she could mumble.

 

We all have secrets, the difference is how damming are the ones you’re harboring away to safety. Everybody makes mistakes, we are just malfunctioning vessels with breath but malfunctioning all the same �" don’t let anybody’s goodness fool you into capitulating to their righteousness, they’re simply balanced.

© 2019 Nankya Yudaya


Author's Note

Nankya Yudaya
It is a matter of time until you find the right keeper. The search is never an easy one, you’re bound to trust the wrong ones along the way but tell it anyway – if it doesn’t save you, It would someone else.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

26 Views
Added on November 26, 2019
Last Updated on November 26, 2019

Author

Nankya Yudaya
Nankya Yudaya

Kampala, Central, Uganda



About
Passionate about Arts, love travelling and fashion more..

Writing