Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Exa Lectric

Ch 1

I looked in the mirror, but I didn’t recognize the face staring back at me. She had my face, but it couldn’t be me. I was such a happy fun-loving person. This person was not. Her eyes were sullen and dark not bright like mine. Her hair, knotted into a messy bun on the side of her head with the layers falling down around her face, was too disheveled to be mine. Could this person in the mirror really be me?

Today is the funeral. I still can’t believe it, can’t believe they’re really gone. Just a week ago we were returning from a great vacation in Greece. It’s amazing how quickly something can go wrong. In less time than a blink of the eye my life was changed forever. If we hadn’t requested an n earlier flight, maybe they’d still be alive. Maybe things would go back to normal. But everything is different now.

They all expect me to go to the funeral, to speak about the great moments, to rejoice in their happy lives, but I can’t. No matter how hard I try, I can’t bring myself to attend. I know I’m letting them down, but I have to take care of myself first. So, I’ll just sit here, looking at this mirror, and tell you everything I can remember.

We were on the plane. It was supposed to land in only a half hour. Then we’d be home safe and sound. And nothing could have gone wrong. Then all of a sudden the plane jerked and began a dangerous spiral toward the ground. Everyone was screaming, bags were flying and yet, there was total eerie silence. At least, in my head there was. I was totally calm. I knew what was happening but I wasn’t scared. I completely accepted it all.

I heard every sound, just like in my nightmares; a large crack, metal scraping against metal. And before I knew it, my nightmare was happening all over again. Only this time, it was for real. This time I wasn’t going to wake up with the sun shining, the birds singing and the nightmare gone. This time the end was real. And there really was no surviving. And I still remained calm.

The plane gained speed. It felt like hours had passed in what was only seconds. Death was near. Everyone knew it. The shrieks got louder and there was absolute total chaos. My mom and dad squeezed my hands and repeated it was going to be okay. I knew it wasn’t, they were saying it for themselves more than for me. And they said they loved me, they were sorry it had happened this was. And then we hit the ground.

 The roof collapsed on top of us, entrapping everyone. Blood was pouring down my mom’s face from impact with the seat in front of her. Then her grip on my hand loosened and I knew she was gone. My dad’s hand fell away from mine. I couldn’t even look at him. I was completely alone. And I could feel there was still more to come.

Turns out I was right. The gas tanks exploded and the entire plane burst into flame. Streaking grew to an even louder volume. Then silence. All I could hear was the fire whispering to itself as it sucked up all the gasoline. Faintly in the distance, I could hear sirens. But they couldn’t get here in time to save anyone.

The sirens got louder. Time was running out. Firemen were fighting the blaze. And after what seemed like days, it was gone. The beast that had threatened to destroy me was gone, and I was safe �" for now. It was hard to breathe, the air was so contaminated. I called for help but it barely came out as a whisper. This was it. They would assume everyone was dead. They’d leave me and I would suffocate. No one knowing I could have survived.

I closed my eyes and silent tears escaped. Then I felt something touch my arm. I opened my eyes and raised my head to look at a fireman in a gas mask with an oxygen tank. He yelled ‘she’s alive’ and started pulling at the seats to free me. A few more appeared to help and soon I was on a stretcher.

There was still hope for me. But what was the point of continuing when my whole family was not going with me? Somehow I knew none of them would survive. I was totally alone. No grandparents to come home to. No mom, no dad, I was lost. And this was too much to deal with. My calm finally cracked and I closed my eyes again and I was lost in time.



© 2010 Exa Lectric


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this very much. The way your write takes the reader into the story. It was very emotional. A great read.

~Paula

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is really good. i love how descriptive it is. i feel that it has some really great promise so far. And as for the title, name it something pretty and deep like the joys of a plane crash or something like that. I hope that I could help.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I guess you should start by thinking and building up a plot for the story ;) Seems like it's going to be a depressing read; I like depressing stories for some reason XD Anyway, I'm kinda new and I'm wondering if you could review my stuff (only one story at the moment) :D

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 4, 2010
Last Updated on September 4, 2010