Sleep Soundly

Sleep Soundly

A Story by Kelsey
"

A short story inspired by the song "Ronan" by Taylor Swift.

"
"Hold on, sweetie, you'll be out of here in no time," she assures her son as she strokes his cheek. "We'll be home any day now, where you'll be reunited with your favorite toys, walking around barefoot in your favorite pajamas, and sleeping comfortably in your own bed. We'll get through this..we'll get through this," she says, not only trying to comfort him, but herself as well. A silent tear sneaks down her own cheek, followed by several others. 
He's four years old. He has his whole life ahead of him. With his dark brown hair and deep blue eyes, he's a beautiful boy that's had problems all his life. Why should he be faced with this at such a young age? What kind of god would do this, to me, to my son, to anyone? He'll get through this. He has to. He's all I have.
A shy knock on the door, and then:
"We have a few updates for you, Miss." She speaks quietly, as if something's wrong. The mother jumps out of her chair beside her son's bed and asks, "what, what is it?"
"The test results came in. Your son has cancer. It's infected parts of his brain that we can't touch. Ma'am, your son isn't going to make it. The cancer's been there longer than we suspected. I'm sorry, Miss, but tonight may be your last night with your boy. I am truly sorry.."
She stares blankly at the nurse, as if the life was being drained out of her and not her son. Her eyes widen and then narrow. She sinks back into her chair and begins to sob uncontrollably. She picks her head up from her lap and takes her son's hand. The nurse leaves quietly.
Moments later, the boy wakes from a nap to find his mother by his side.
"Hello, sweetie. How did you sleep?"
He rubs his sleepy eyes and nods, as if to assure her that he slept well.
"I love you. I love you sooo much. I love you more than anything and anyone, and I always will. You're my world, little guy. You've been my world since the day you were brought into my life. You're the best thing that's ever happened to Mommy." 
He takes her hand and wraps his little fingers around her pinky. The boy begins to doze off, followed shortly after by his mother.
Hours later, the mother wakes up to find that her son is still sleeping, his hand still in hers. She sits, staring at him, knowing any moment could be his last. She cries soflty to herself, telling herself that, if there is a God, he will save her boy. The monitor that's been tracking her son's heartbeat begins to slow. She stares at the monitor, waiting for the line to stable out, for the beeps to pick back up to their regular speed, but they don't. Instead, they slow down further. She wonders if she should call for help, but before she has a chance, the occasional beeping turns into one solid beep, the line a flat one. She looks down at her son and notices his chest is no longer rising and falling. She raises his hand to her lips and kisses it gently. She begins to cry, and then kisses his forehead. 
"Sleep soundly, my sweet angel," she whispers as she lays her head on his chest.

© 2012 Kelsey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh damn you, woman, you actually brought tears to my eyes. This is a very well-written, emotional piece. It's a tale that a lot of people can relate to nowadays, and one that any compassionate person can empathize with. The mother's sadness is palpable, and the visuals are so tight and descriptive that you can easily replay this in your head as if it were a scene from a movie.

To me, this was conceptually and emotionally perfect. In terms of technical writing, there are some minor mistakes (an extra comma or period here and there, a slip in the verb tense, etc), but certainly nothing that detracts from the story or readability (and I'm quite sensitive to such things). If you wanted this to be published in a mass-marketed book, it might need a bit of polishing, such as maybe changing "A shy knock on the door, and then:" to something like "A shy knock is heard, and a nurse enters the room as the mother looks toward the door." But again, these are (to me) minor issues.

Well done, my dear. Your talent is truly undeniable, and I shall eagerly await any literary morsels you throw our way.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much. I'm really glad the desired effect was portrayed well enough to bring tears .. read more



Reviews

I just submitted my review of this story, and I don't really want to rant about other reviews, but I can't sit by silently and let false, ignorant reviews discourage your writing...

Completely ignore johndvictor's review. Your usage is absolutely correct in the "she says" sentence, and your story is not in the past (I don't know why a reader would think that), so your verb tense is, in fact, correct (except for one slip up where you used the past tense -- "as if the life was being drained"). As for the god thing... Not all of us are religious, and even (or especially) for those that are, it is common (and I would go so far as to say natural) to ask these questions in situations such as this. It is natural to question how a supposedly loving, omnipotent, all-powerful being could allow such pain and sadness in this world, especially when the victim is an innocent child. It isn't meant as offense; it is simply someone trying to understand that which they do not. The quest for knowledge and understanding should never be seen as offensive.

As for Bayandur Pogosyan's review... Are you seriously pointing to Wikipedia --"the encyclopedia the ANYONE CAN EDIT" -- as a source of knowledge and writing instruction? By doing so, you've illustrated such an unbelievable level if ignorance and stupidity that I will never be able to take anything you say seriously. Also, you may not be able to discern it, but the fact that something happens with great frequency does not make it cliche. As for adverbs, there really weren't many that I saw. I saw a lot of adjectives, but not many adverbs. And really, you're pointing to Stephen King as the authority on writing? What a sad day for literature. Selling a lot of books does not equate to good writing; it just means that the public will lap up anything you throw at them.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Oh goodness, thank you so much for defending my writing and I. I'm aware that there are mistakes in .. read more
Oh damn you, woman, you actually brought tears to my eyes. This is a very well-written, emotional piece. It's a tale that a lot of people can relate to nowadays, and one that any compassionate person can empathize with. The mother's sadness is palpable, and the visuals are so tight and descriptive that you can easily replay this in your head as if it were a scene from a movie.

To me, this was conceptually and emotionally perfect. In terms of technical writing, there are some minor mistakes (an extra comma or period here and there, a slip in the verb tense, etc), but certainly nothing that detracts from the story or readability (and I'm quite sensitive to such things). If you wanted this to be published in a mass-marketed book, it might need a bit of polishing, such as maybe changing "A shy knock on the door, and then:" to something like "A shy knock is heard, and a nurse enters the room as the mother looks toward the door." But again, these are (to me) minor issues.

Well done, my dear. Your talent is truly undeniable, and I shall eagerly await any literary morsels you throw our way.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much. I'm really glad the desired effect was portrayed well enough to bring tears .. read more
This is really good. On a side note, reading other's comments, I thought the verb tense was correct. It reads like it's happening in the present, not the past. If that's the case it shouldn't be changed. I thought it was very descriptive and the emotions were properly portrayed. Good job!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, it means a lot.
Very touching and well-written! Nice job. Can't wait to read more of your work! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Wow, thank you! (:
Well....i must say u've made me a fan of your writing.
Thanks 4 another great read ! :) :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

That means a lot, thank you! :)
Hello Kelsey ,

First ; We'll get through this..we'll get through this," she says, not only trying to comfort him .

Note ;-
1. you must use point not a comma . in " she says . " to clarify that sentence ended.
2. the stroy in past , and you are using present verb .
" she said not says ".
The correct sentence will be ; she said . And when she said that ........

Another note ; What kind of god would do this . you forget this " ? " . To be honestly, not that what i want to tell you about , even ,if it's impatant to using the question mark. What i want to say that you know , when we used that kind of question , that mean two things , cynicism or dissatisfaction. Kelsey , you can't talk to God like that , that's wrong , i know you didn't mean this , but in future try to avoided that kind of words when talk to God . " It's advise NOT order , and it's up to you take it or leave it " .

That all i have , hope it's usefull .

my best wishs for you .



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

That's how some people handle the situation, asking God why he would put them through such a thing. .. read more
Sad...so very very sad. I don't even know what more to say besides touching and sad. Despite that, it was very well written. Definitely hits the heart with emotion.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, it means a lot coming from such a talented writer.
this is such a touchy story.. it makes you think about taking what you already have for granted and appreciate it.. keep writing this is amazing :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much. (:
Heather

11 Years Ago

no problem :)
U have some reall nice talent
Stephen King wrote in his book "On Writing", "The road to hell is paved with adverbs", and I agree with the statement. Also I'd suggest that the writer reads the Wikipedia entry on "cliche".

Her work would benefit from these two things.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I'll definitely do that. :)
Jack Reaper

11 Years Ago

perhaps you should "on writing" again and maybe pay closer attention, as Mr. King does not denounce .. read more
This comment has been deleted by this stories author.
Wow! So short, yet.. What a touching and emotional story! It made me cry for a moment there.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Thank you! (:

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

378 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 17, 2012
Last Updated on September 19, 2012
Tags: sad, story

Author

Kelsey
Kelsey

WV



About
"It's funny how our past frames us; how the person we used to be never lets loose of the person we are. Past failures and disappointments, even victories take hold of us. They haunt us like ghosts, or.. more..

Writing
The Ultimatum The Ultimatum

A Poem by Kelsey


Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Kelsey


Unwanted Unwanted

A Poem by Kelsey



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I'm Okay I'm Okay

A Chapter by MachinaWriter


Stained black Stained black

A Poem by Rika


Dear Mother Dear Mother

A Chapter by MachinaWriter


Overlook Overlook

A Poem by Kelsey