Glass sandwiches

Glass sandwiches

A Poem by alternative_be
"

Poem to be entered in the homeless contest. Since I happen to live in one of Europe's beercountries', beer is awfully cheap to come by and for some homeless it completely replaces... food! Hence the consequences for the character in my poem.

"

 

Glass sandwiches
 
Glass sandwiches for breakfast
Glass sandwiches for lunch
For dinner too …
 
Every morning at nine sharp
The supermarket door opening
Sounds like a harp
 
Music to your ears
A 24 – pack of half liter lagers
Takes away your fears
 
Getting back to your bench
Under the writer’s statue
For you have some reading to do
 
In yesterday’s paper
Now as a blanket disposed
You take the first can out of the packet
 
You do not want to make a racket
The beer will take away your pain
Though will not provide any gain
 
You go back to sleep
Even before noon
The opening of your eyes will not keep
 
At noon, by the pigeon’s
Sounds you wake
16 cans still to take
 
To get you through the day
To keep the pain away
After lunch, still 8 to go
 
Passers by come and go
Staring at the symbiosis between man and statue
Maybe the man is just asleep?
 
Oh, for he is there everyday
Of the week
He surely will keep
 
At dinner, when the rain
And upcoming pain
Still bring no gain
 
No more glass sandwiches today
Suddenly your body stops
As do the nearby clocks
 
Your time has come
To say goodbye to the statue
The bench, the pigeon, the rain
 
Glass sandwiches
Took away your pain
But brought no gain
 
The passers by of the next morning
Notice a familiar figure gone
With the wind
 
At your wake
No cake
No passers by
 
Only the priest
Understands the importance
Of the yeast
 
 

© 2008 alternative_be


Author's Note

alternative_be
In my country pints of beer are often referred to as 'glass sandwiches'

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, very good poem. Though I have to say, I interpret that last line differently than Tony, the featured review. I interpreted it to mean that the problem of the glass sandwiches that "Took away your pain/
But brought no gain" is not just a 'poor man's problem' but as spreading to affect even the clergy. The poem makes one wonder which came first in the main character's life, the cheap alcohol or the abject poverty?


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really like the final line in this great poem. I regularly thank whatever God is listening for my ability to enjoy the drugs and alcohol without becoming some kind of complete loser.
It is of utmost importance for us writers to maintain some sense of direction, many of us through part time sobriety.
This poem is easy too read, follow and understand. Just what a good poem should be.
In my opinion.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was going to bed and was not going to read anything, but when I saw your title in my read requests I was captivated.

I think you have done a great job taking an everyday term which has a grim humour and truth about it and turning it into a fresh piece of writing about a commonplace problem. I especially like the way the guy's day progresses and the way you weave the statue into the mini drama. 24 is a LOT of beer. I imagined some kind of play between the statue and the drunk...with the pigeon negotiating somehow. Sad end though. I think it is the observation and gentle sensitivity that I like. We get the message from your observations rather than a lecture on the problem. Very well done.

Poem also reminds me of a visit to Brussels -- Le Mort Subit, Le Corbeau and other bars -- and a very heavy hangover on a train to Ypres followe by a weary slog on foot up to the battlefield. A kitten appeared from a farm and followe my friend and I as we went from burial ground to burial ground, meowing like it was trying to tell us something. More beer when we got back to Brussels. Groan.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I find it always painful to read about stuff like this. Unfortunately, it is often true and not pure fiction as I would have liked. Sometimes I wonder if the world would change, even just a bit... for the better, if strangers knew to care for people like these? A very good poem, tragic in it's reality and beautiful in it's tragedy. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A great piece here and very interesting to read i might add~ WEll DonE!!
THanks for sharing~Fran Marie

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nicely said. I have often said that a Guiness is worth about a half a loaf of bread While beer might be a great substitute for food during college, we really do need to try to do something about the homeless people around the globe.

-Gabe


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Now that i know what glass sandwiches are im not confused anymore.
This poem was an absolute delight to read. I must say i love your writing strategy.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beer has initially been invented by monks (as I was told) because they also had to fast, and can only take liquids. The ingredients of beer are practically the same ingredients in making bread as well.

The smell of beer being brewed smells like a bakery. It surprised me for the first time.

But to only live on beer because of no other choice, is another story.

Very good form, good choice of words, well painted imagery (especially the end), well imparted message.

It emphasizes on the hopelessness of the homeless and what they end up succumbing to.

A very good piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

are you a Czech?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A fabulous write. One forgets way too often how much they have to endure, and how fast one can land up oneself sleeping on the latest newspaper on the bench in the parc. One never knows what path fate chooses for us to go.

Very eye opening, touching, and excellent piece. Kudos!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

What a sad life and one that pretty much went unnoticed except the occasional awkward glance. How many live like this? None. They merely exist (not live) from one "sandwich" to the next. What a despairing waste. Damn good write though. Top notch or top shelf whichever you prefer. Kudos to you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

452 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 8, 2008
Last Updated on June 9, 2008

Author

alternative_be
alternative_be

Somewhere in the country ..., Belgium



About
Dear all, I'm a 46 year old woman living in Europe. My passions are: reading, writing, poetry, blogging, languages, nature, walking, making friends. Curious? Who am I? You can read it all in th.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Erratic Erratic

A Poem by TamiViolet