Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars
Is love a chip?

Is love a chip?

A Story by Lyn Anderson
"

a short snippet, thanks for your help with editing.

"
     If love is a chip, she has decided to let it fall where it may. She is determined not to rush it, or force it, or cram it into the same old packaging that lost its luster a long time ago. So far nothing that's happened turned out the way she imagined, and she suspects that is for the best. She barely recognizes the woman she was a year ago, two years ago -- before she met him, before her "escape".
     There is not any one thing that set in motion the course of events that changed her life. The ugly look on her husband's face as he threw his pills at her when she sat in her chair. The endless silences that grew between them as they tried to live separately while co-habitating; the countless hours spent "sharing" the same space, acting like enemy combatants forced into a truce, trying not to trip over each other as they went about their lives. The daily grind of coming home to nothing done and nothing changed. Doors thrown open and accusations screamed in the middle of the night.  Opening the door and running, running, until her legs couldn't carry her any further, and then running some more.
     Her first tentative explorations, searching, trying to find herself again. She regrets none of it. Even the ones that didn't work out, for they made her realize she was alive, desirable, worth something. She was a woman. The man she began to think of as her paper husband could not accept that she was already gone. He tried in vain to hold on to her with vows he himself betrayed on the very day they were married, and every single day after that.
     Each day is a struggle and a triumph. She bleeds and cries, and makes little strides. But she will never look back. There is someone special in her life now, that is true, but if that doesn't work out she will be okay, because she now understands that she is not all the ugly things she was told she was, and she never has to live that way again.     
     Real men don't yell and hurt and manipulate and lie to keep you like an animal locked in a cage begging for scraps of attention. If love is a chip, let it fall.  She can pick it up or leave it, either way, she will be okay.

© 2014 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson
correct grammar -- I am struggling with the "paper husband" line -- just not sure how to phrase it -- suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

He, the man whom she had long since begun to think of as little more than a paper husband could not accept......Oh bugger, it's not bad the way you have originally laid it out and if my memory serves me correctly, you have a whom aversion. Chin up KLG x

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much.
Turning the page as an expression it is thrown around in a light mannered way as if embracing change was a trigger or an automatic reaction. If that was so I reckon the world would be a different place becuase change is everything but easy. This writing is a clear and intimate attempt to share the feelings which exist at the end of the relationship and the possibility of "turning the page" once and for all onl when the process has achieved enough clarity.

You will be OK

Thankyou

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the thoughtful review. It may be short, but a lot of years and a lot of angs.. read more
let em fall!!.. take it or leave it.. that is my motto as well.. either way we will be ok!.. heck yes!!.. that is what I am talking about.. let's go get a drink and toast to that girl! love it..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much, glad you read my story.
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
A very powerfully written snippet, KL, one, I am slowly learning to live my life. As for changes, I wouldn't touch anything, but editing isn't my strong suit, when it comes to writing. The last paragraph is, perhaps, the most important part, to me.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks, I did edit it based on some suggestions. Thank you for all the reviews.
therisa

9 Years Ago

Your welcome.
` the man she began to see as a paper husband could not accept that fact, no matter....

that's just one suggestion..it sounds as if the woman has found the strength to go onward and forward in her life in spite of the week and powerless bully hubby.. neat write

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you, I like that.
Wow, a true tale that is full of pathos and crisp description and retells the tale of a passage from down-trodden to living. One questionable phrase:
'to live separate but apart' seperate and apart are the same so no but. Perhaps to live in the same space but apart?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

good thought. Thanks I appreciate it.
Paper husband, paper tiger, I say run with the line.
Runaway paper bride?
I get it.
Ready to Run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ksenLQ_RE

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much. :)
I think that "paper husband" line is the best line in the piece! Great story about the triumph of coming into yourself and taking back your power!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Well, there might be some tweaking you see. But, the base you have here is great!
Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Right now I am too close to it. Sometimes with pieces like these I need to stand back for a bit and .. read more
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

IKWYM! .:D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 9, 2014
Last Updated on October 9, 2014
Tags: love, life, thoughts, thankful, real, wait

Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..