Dragon Bones chapter1

Dragon Bones chapter1

A Story by Bec
"

this is just literally my first draft, I know there would be some mistakes but i just want some sort of feedback on it.

"

Dragon Bones

 

 Dr Sarah Devon, a well-known archaeologist in her field was having a very quiet night in her cosy New York Apartment. Music was playing softly in the back ground, Beethoven was one of her favourite albums of all time. That with a glass of wine she had found herself enjoying a bubble bath.

Her boss Cain just put her on suspension from her job earlier that morning. She had crossed the line. There were report’s in Australia that there were dragon bones found in North Queensland, they wouldn’t fund her trip. 

Sarah tried everything that night to relax her mind but the whole situation was playing over her mind like clock works. DRAGON Bones she yelled out in her mind. Doesn’t anyone else find that exciting?  Maybe she can get a cruise to Australia? Would it be cheaper that way?

Once her fingers were all wrinkly, Sarah jumped out of the bath. The music had stopped playing in the back ground and her wine glass was empty. Not a very good sign. She looked over at her desk clock. 8. 24 pm. The night was still young.

Sarah looked over across the road, her local Starbucks coffee was still operating and decided maybe a caramel latte was in order. She was dressed in her winter warmers. But she grabbed her coat and covered up. No one really pay’s attention with what they were this time of night in New York. With her wallet in her hand and her house keys in the other hand she shut the door and headed down stairs.

 

Entering the door she was greeted by her friend Emma. Emma was the first person Sarah knew when she first moved here 3 years ago.

 

“Sarah, you want your usual coffee?”  Emma asked her.

“Yes please, can I have it extra hot please?” Sarah asked her.

Emma shook her head yes.

“So, David was in earlier, he told me what happened?” David was Sarah’s ex-boyfriend. Though Emma didn’t know they broke up earlier.

“So what did David want?”

“Well, he said your stupid to break up with him and that he still loves you.”

“Ems, he shouldn’t drag you into this, it’s not fair on you.”

“Sarah, he’s a d****e, you think I’m going to take his side? With him kicking you out like that I told him to f**k off anyways.”

Sarah’s eye brow lifted up when she heard her friend swear.

“Really, you told him that?”

“I am the boss here you know. I can say s**t like that.” Both girls giggled.

“I have a bottle of wine underneath here, I’ll come up in about an hour’s time and we can b***h about that guy.”

Sarah laughed. Emma was the best girl pal ever. “Okay I’ll have clean sheets and clothes for you see you soon.”

The best part about this friendship, Emma was pretty much the same size as Sarah. Though they both weren’t the skinniest but both curvy in their own ways. Sarah never had to feel uncomfortable about her body image in front of her.

 

 

Staring into the ceiling of her bedroom Sarah’s noticed her dizzy mind. She hasn’t drunk that much for a very long time. Not since her first move from Australia to the States. Emma of course was there that first night and noticed how distressed Sarah was. Emma had been in her shoes once before moving from LA over to New York for a fresh start in life was what she had done. No one talked to her for months, so once she spotted Sarah like that she decided she didn’t want that to happen to a nice girl. The girls had been best friends since that day and never looked back.

 

The phone rang, Sarah glanced over it was 7 30. Who would be calling her this time of morning? She ignored the call and let it go to voice mail.

“Sarah, I know you’re up. It’s David, call me we need to talk about yesterday.”

Sarah poke her tongue out at the machine. Although it was a childish thing to do but David was the last thing on her mind. She couldn’t even get him to back her up about the dragon find. Her mobile rang. Lucky it was beside her bed. It was work, Dr Mason name came up.

“Dr Mason, what can I do for you?”

“Sarah, Hey, I heard about yesterday. I am terribly sorry for how they treated you. I want to let you know I am on your side and I have decided that I myself will go to Australia. I myself am not much of a flyer. There is a cruise leaving from California in 2 days, care to join me all trip expense paid for of course?”

“Dr Mason, I would love to come, where would you want me to meet you?”

Dr Mason exchanged details to Sarah and the rest was history.

 

The next day was all about making phone calls, Emma had agreed to house sit the apartment and look after the mail and what not, her excuse was she practically lived there. Sarah had a small suitcase but wasn’t sure how long she was going to be gone for.

Queensland as she remembered was going to be hot. It’s winter in New York, so it’s summer in Australia. She packed a few leggings just in case the night was a bit cooler but mainly singlets, fresh underwear and bra’s and shorts.

Just as soon as she managed to zip her suitcase,

Dr Mason " Sarah - pack some evening clothes. Will be attending a couple of dinners in our stay.

Sarah " Dr Mason " How long is our stay exactly?

Dr Mason " Sarah " At least 3 week’s maybe more? Will that be a problem Dr?

Sarah " Dr Mason " No Dr, not at all. Just want to let my apartment sitter know.

Dr Mason " Sarah " See you in a couple of hours. Hope you packed a couple of travelling books it’s going to be a long fight.

Sarah " Dr Mason " Omg, I totally forgot about on board entertainment. Thank you. Must bring a few books.

 

The last thing Sarah wanted to do was to iron a dress, there were heaps she could have picked from to suit the occasion. Her decision was made when she got to her wardrobe her favourite skater black dress was hanging up in the closet. Easy enough to clean and she didn’t have to iron. This was perfect. She had a couple of coloured cardigans that went very nicely with that and tossed them in with some a pair of black heels made it just fit perfectly in the suitcase.

After packing the suitcase Sarah spent some time cooking dinner for Emma, Chicken Curry’s, Beef Stroganoff, and Chilli Con Carne and putting it in the freezer.

On The last night, Emma came over to stay. Sarah made sure she was settled in. Emma was the only one she could trust. David had hurt her bad and Emma was by her side the whole time. As a thank you gift Sarah supplied Emma with a breakfast goodie basket filled with yummy healthy organic cereal, fresh strawberries, stylish tea’s from their favourite T2 shop, and a small jar of coffee. In The fridge was 2 bottles of fruity white wine. 

© 2015 Bec


Author's Note

Bec
gnore grammar problems, what do you think of the dialogue, etc.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on July 5, 2015
Last Updated on July 6, 2015

Author

Bec
Bec

Queensland, Brisbane, Australia



About
Check out chick by day but when not working i'm a Avid Reader, Photographer and writer. I'm 29 year's old From Brisbane Australia. when i'm not doing any of the above i'm either chilling with fami.. more..

Writing
Darkest secrets Darkest secrets

A Story by Bec