A Single parent's dating life.

A Single parent's dating life.

A Story by Bec
"

Laura was living a normal every day single parent life. Her cousin decided it was time to change, an up coming wedding she dared to play match maker.

"

As I sit and wait for my peppermint tea to arrive, I am waiting at a busy café at the state library. The weather is lovely though slightly windy. Since it’s a beautiful day outside it is rather busy there is over 30 people around eating, catching up with friends, family. Kids talking loud and being boisterous as ever.

The smell of Paella is in the air and people are rushing over to have some. It is not yet lunch time so I’m rather not hungry.

Annabelle is crying wanting attention, we had just been to the dinosaur museum and is hungry. Though I did feed her just before we left, that was around 8 30, I swear a 5 year old child can eat you out of the house. She’s screaming out for her favourite Blueberry muffin but I had packed her some grapes and sliced apples. She pouts in protest.

Being a single mother is hard work. I can only work part time if only I can find my prince charming who can take me in and my daughter would be lovely. One sight of Annabelle and they walk away. It’s not her fault, though I do blame her father for walking out on us 4 years ago.

Everything was going to plan, I was back working at the library full time, and Annabelle was in day care though my mother had insisted that it wasn’t the place for her and took her in in the afternoons. Annabelle loved it, she was a good baby, a quiet one I still ponder on why Daniel had to walk out.

I guess at 24 he wasn’t expecting to be getting sleepless nights and changing dirty diapers, when he first heard the news it was our 2 year anniversary and we were away on a romantic 7 day cruise just to the local Islands and back. He was drinking like crazy to his surprise he was pressuring me on why I wasn’t drinking. I was waiting for the right time to tell him so I guess the cruise was. As it turned out it was our very last holiday together.

I always wonder about those days, if I had done anything different but still having Annabelle was the best thing for me. My friends were having kids and that helped, I was glad I wasn’t the only one in this though at times it felt like I was.

My tea has finally arrived. Annabelle had just quietened down. I took out her colouring pencils and her favourite Dora book. My Kindle in my hand trying to catch up on the latest thriller book.

My cousin Amy finally arrives. She’s all bubbly and excited about something I could tell in her walk. She also had a special glow. Annabelle doesn’t look up and keeps colouring in. I greet Amy with a warm hug and smile.

“I see you ordered already.” She smiles.

“Oh only just the tea, you know how long it takes for the herbal tea to cool down. Amy smiles and agrees.

The waitress comes over to us and takes our order. Since Annabelle is behaving I ordered a tiny blueberry muffin for her, I ask for a smoothie for myself and Amy orders a sausage roll.

‘You going healthy or something?” She says to me. I smile back trying not to be offended. The thing was I wasn’t really hungry but I could do with some liquid.

“So Matt came over last night and everything was going well, he surprised me with a bottle of red.” Amy continued.

Matt had been her latest boyfriend, and have only just been together for 4 months. They met on an online dating site Oasis Active. A few friends keep trying to get me to go on but I insist I was fine. I had Annabelle.

“Matt proposed” she blurted out with excitement. Next thing I see is her finger in my face. The rock was huge but suited her very well.

“Congratulations” I say trying to be very happy for them both. I had met him once or twice at family gatherings.

“He already asked his best friend to be his best guy, you know he’s single” she smiled. Still continuing on her conversation she went on I was listening but I was also watching Annabelle.

“He has a 2 year old son too” Amy mentioned.

I looked up at her “Don’t play match maker” I said out loud.

“Oh come on Lara, He’s good looking, he owns his own house, car. He’s responsible. We are having a party this Friday night. Some of the wedding party are coming. Well it’s just for the wedding party. You have to come please!” Amy cried.

“I have to ask mum to baby sit Annabelle.”

“You should bring her, you know she loves my house and the flat screen. I’ll have some special movies for her to watch.”  Amy had everything organised. She was after all Annabelle’s God mother and Annabelle did adore her.

“Annabelle, you want to come over to Aunty Amy’s place Friday night?” I asked her.

She didn’t look up she was too interested colouring in. Though she nodded and smiled.

Our meals had arrived and quickly Annabelle dropped her pencil and put the stuff in her bag and started pecking at her muffin.

We sat there talking for another half an hour. Soon we had to leave. Annabelle would get grumpy and the last thing I needed on the train ride home was her to be grumpy.

                                           ….

 

Work had run smoothly all week and I couldn’t wait till 4pm. It was now Friday afternoon. Annabelle was still at my mother’s place. It was 2 pm and I just managed to go on a quick coffee break.  A text came through.

“Make sure you wear something sexy” texted Amy.

She was really eager for me to connect well with Matt. I tossed the phone in my bag. I really literally had nothing sexy to wear. I haven’t felt sexy in a very long time not since before Annabelle was born.

On the way to the train station I decided to duck into one of the little outlets, I spotted a really nice not so short dress. It was dark green and black. I checked for the price. $35 was on the tag, the first dress size was a small, I looked for a large and found one, and it had been at the very back. I grabbed it and found the dressing room.

The dress fit well. I took a photo of me wearing the dress and sent it quickly to Amy. #sexy enough?

As I was changing back to my normal clothes. I heard my phone beep. “#wear it”

The hash tags were part of our joke, we don’t use twitter or anything but we still got a good laugh each time we use it.

I went up to the counter and paid for it. The lady at the counter took my card and she looked at me you should get this necklace it would go well with it. It was $15 but she said I could have it for $5 so I took it.

I had arrived home and Annabelle was having a nap. My mother had fed her already and told me the activities they did. I showered and changed while my mother was there. Annabelle was still sleeping. I didn’t want to wake her she was sleeping so peacefully.

“Go, I’ll look after her you go and have fun” she said to me.

I arrived at 8 pm, with a bottle of red in my hand. Amy wasn’t to upset that Annabelle didn’t come.

She started introducing me to the rest of the party. A tall handsome guy with longish hair was next to Matt was in grossed in a conversation. Amy and I were now standing in front and didn’t notice.

Amy gave up. “Mark, this is Laura, she’s going to be my maid of honour, You guys should get to know each other as you will be dancing as a couple at the wedding.  Matt, I need you to help me with something in the kitchen.”

Matt tried to protest but eventually he gave in leaving us in a awkward position. Mark gestured me to finally sit down and join him.

Matt had come out with half a glass of wine and walked quickly away.

The first few minutes we sat there awkwardly not knowing what to say then I finally remembered he had a 2 year old and bought up the children subject. Knowing that it scares guys away I was surprised Mark didn’t move. He got out his phone and straight away showing me pictures of his little boy.

It was a nice change and I was starting to feel comfortable and eventually relaxed myself into the sofa.

By the end of the night we had exchanged numbers, we had arranged to take the kids to Southbank the following weekend. IT was getting warm and it was good to be out of the house.

I told Amy the next day of what happened. She couldn’t believe what was going on.

“You guys are going to be the real deal you know” she smiled at me.

I couldn’t help but smile back to her. I really hope this was going to work out. Mark was the first guy in a very long time that she felt connected to. Maybe the single parent life would be over.

 

 

 

                               

© 2015 Bec


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on September 5, 2015
Last Updated on September 5, 2015
Tags: https://heartbloodbound.wordpres

Author

Bec
Bec

Queensland, Brisbane, Australia



About
Check out chick by day but when not working i'm a Avid Reader, Photographer and writer. I'm 29 year's old From Brisbane Australia. when i'm not doing any of the above i'm either chilling with fami.. more..

Writing
Darkest secrets Darkest secrets

A Story by Bec


Crash Crash

A Story by Bec