Chapter One: Purple Hearts

Chapter One: Purple Hearts

A Chapter by angel frankie
"

A young girl named August was a small-town girl who enjoyed skipping rocks at the lake behind her grandma's little apartment. She liked to lay out there on the grass at night and look at the stars.

"

August’s Journal Entry

may 9th, 2021


Dear Ava Journal, 


Today I took a walk around my neighborhood. I was walking and walking. I heard some cars beeping down the quiet street and when I looked they were driving again, silent and I hope happy. I smiled and looked both ways before crossing the street. Ugh, sorry for my messy writing. I'm working on it. I hope this is okay, Ava. :) I saw in the culdesac nearby my apartment, one of the houses in the ‘sac’ were having a garage sale. I walked silently along the curved sidewalk and checked my oatmeal colored sweater pocket. My circular purple pouch full of money was in there. I smiled as I felt the soft lovely wallet in my pocket. It had a little knitted flower in the middle. 


I saw all the objects they were selling sitting comfortably in the front yard. They were all around their home and I smiled. I loved what I saw and I noticed they were cheap, too and very beautiful. I got a few trinkets. They really made me happy. I overheard that the woman who lived here passed away and that made me really sad. I almost began to cry and my heart dropped. I think that’s why the price is low -- they didn’t want to profit off of a woman’s things who just passed away. Humanity isn’t dead after all. I knew that but it’s just nice to see it every once in a while. 

I smiled. I got a moon ring. It was shaped like an oval and it was creamy with a few different shades of green. I also got a shell necklace, to remind me of my love of the ocean and the water. It also makes me think that though my town is small, the world is so big. Even my state and so much life is happening right now besides mine and I think it is too big to understand or even think about. Life happening all over the world right now is such an overwhelming concept but the amount of differences within every family and place makes me happy. It’s all just so beautiful: the people, the places, social conventions -- not all of them -- cultures and religions, traditions and fashion, everything is just so beautiful. 


My mind changed gears and I began to focus on the tables again. My mind does that sometimes. I found a bracelet with shells on it and I decided to buy it because I think it matches my personality. I got a circa 1950s silver watch that looked very much like a bracelet with the twists of the band and the jewels placed delicately along it. I was happy to buy them. They were so pretty. I walked over to the knick-knacks and I wanted to buy it all. Everything was so beautiful. I was happy there. I used to not get many of these lovely moments in life because of who I used to live with--my mother Dianne--and how every nice moment was covered up by stress or sadness or complaints. With Dianne, nothing could be happy for long. I couldn't get away even if I tried. I wasn’t prepared to, but then one day, someone saved me from that torture, from that loud and angry person. That someone was my grandma, Cherry, and she saved me and my sister Marnie from her daughter, Dianne. I didn't have to see Dianne anymore. Angry Dianne made me not love her anymore no matter how much I wanted to. My savior is my grandma. I remember hearing Cherry talk about Dianne. How she tried to talk to her about her anger and how toxic it was for Marnie and me but she didn't listen. Cherry told her that there was therapy or anger management and neither should make her feel ashamed, but Dianne ignored her. She’d nod and roll her eyes then change the subject. Cherry knew it would come to her losing custody of me and Marnie. My dad passed away when I was young from lung cancer, so he wasn't able to take custody of us, but he did try to protect us from Dianne as much as he could. Cherry saw how violent and aggravated she got one day when she came over to visit. She knew. 


That was last year. Now, I live in an apartment complex with Marnie, Cherry and her husband Ricky, my step-grandpa who I always just called grandpa. A few meters behind her apartment is a little lake or a creek called Sally’s. I can never remember how to differentiate creeks or lakes...anywho, I spend lots of time out there at Sally’s. Just watching the fishies and the ducks congregate. Must be weird for them to see me watching them. I hope it doesn’t make them nervous or uncomfortable. 


I'm happy here, Ava. I am very happy. I know I say that a lot, but it’s true. I am. I would let you know if I am not having fun here. If I’m unhappy with grandma Cherry or grandpa Ricky. She loves me here though. So does grandpa. I get sad because they have to watch me and they are older. They already raised their child and now they have to watch me because my parent acted more like a child when they don’t have their way. I tell them that and they always hug me and sing to me. They tell me they were more than happy to be my guardians and that they love me. I love them too. It's very hard for me. It's hard for me to love after the last place I was in with the one person who was supposed to show me love, compassion, patience, and respect. I love grandma Cherry and grandpa Ricky. They’re always so kind to me even when I’m infuriating. Ava, I'm sorry for not telling you all that was happening before. I was scared Dianne would find my journal and be very angry with me and...well, you know… I love you so much. I never want to lose you. 


It is later...nighttime now -- around nine pm -- and I’m not feeling so good so I think I'm going to go to sleep. It's almost June! I'm excited to see what exciting adventures Cherry and Ricky are going to have in store, even if it’s just going to Comet’s and getting ice cream or shaved ice or something, I’m excited. I'm also ready for this pandemic to be over. It is just about over…. We are allowed to meet with more than 15 people now and we don't have to wear masks, but….it isn’t back to normal yet. It is, however, a step in the right direction for sure, but I want to wear my lipstick and I want to smile at strangers. I'm going to rest my head now. I'm feeling feverish. I hope to feel better in the morning. I'll pray for your happiness, Ava. I feel better talking to you about all this even if you already knew some of it. I'll be sure to bring you to my next therapy appointment with Katie. 


Lots of love, August Lilliane Rushmore <3

--more will be added soon so stay tuned!--


© 2021 angel frankie


Author's Note

angel frankie
let me know what you think please <3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'Humanity isn't dead after all. I knew that but it's just nice to see it every once in a while.'

What a powerful line! I really loved the setting and writing of this story and we already see that the main character has a sense of empathy. I loved the little detail with the wallet and knitted flower, too. You have a great way of writing and I can't wait to see more! No matter what anyone tells you, keep writing, because you already have a fan right here!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

angel frankie

2 Years Ago

I always enjoy reading your reviews! They're quite uplifting! Thank you so much! Don't be scared to .. read more



Reviews

'Humanity isn't dead after all. I knew that but it's just nice to see it every once in a while.'

What a powerful line! I really loved the setting and writing of this story and we already see that the main character has a sense of empathy. I loved the little detail with the wallet and knitted flower, too. You have a great way of writing and I can't wait to see more! No matter what anyone tells you, keep writing, because you already have a fan right here!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

angel frankie

2 Years Ago

I always enjoy reading your reviews! They're quite uplifting! Thank you so much! Don't be scared to .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 23, 2021
Last Updated on May 28, 2021
Tags: trauma, abuse, evolution


Author

angel frankie
angel frankie

Chicago , IL



About
Im angel frankie and I love lots of things. I try to spread kindness and positivity and wholesome vibes everywhere I go and I feel that comes out in my story writing. more..

Writing